Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 05:12 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,758,240 times

Advertisements

When I had to give gifts to tween and early teens to my kids' friends, I'd usually find some sort of tickets so that they could go somewhere fun.

MLB tickets weren't expensive back then, and the Mets were terrible, so there were always cheap tickets available. But the boys loved going, either with friends or parents. If there are any sporting events in your neck of the woods she might like (MLS? WNBA? Minor league baseball?), tickets are a good idea.

My other standby was movie ticket passes. Get four or five of them as a gift. Kids (girls and boys) loved being able to go the movies by themselves. Their parents would drop them off and pick them up if they were too young to travel by themselves. It always made the kids feel a little bit grown up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 06:54 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,374,267 times
Thank you again for all the ideas

Old 03-22-2017, 04:21 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,684,461 times
teen cook books if she enjoys food with stuff for her hair. You said she likes jewelry depending on the budget I once started a pearl necklace as a gift.

I think it was 5 pearls from a jeweler then at Christmas I would add 5 more

Old 03-25-2017, 11:12 AM

50,316 posts, read 63,868,866 times
I love the idea of the spa basket, and I'd put in a gift certificate for a fancy pedicure at a nice salon. Nothing makes a lady feel good like a nice pedi.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:13 PM

6,558 posts, read 4,955,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I love the idea of the spa basket, and I'd put in a gift certificate for a fancy pedicure at a nice salon. Nothing makes a lady feel good like a nice pedi.
So dependent on the person - at 52 I've never had one and would never want one!

Sorry, but I think anything scented, all perfume, makeup, nail polish and things like that are just too personal to guess on. So many gifts in my life sat unused in closets and were eventually tossed - usually given to me by girlie girls because it was something THEY liked and assumed I would.

IMHO

Old 03-25-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post

Sorry, but I think anything scented, all perfume, makeup, nail polish and things like that are just too personal to guess on. So many gifts in my life sat unused in closets and were eventually tossed - usually given to me by girlie girls because it was something THEY liked and assumed I would.

IMHO
How about you try it before you poo poo it?

Old 03-25-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
How about you try it before you poo poo it?
Let's see, I'm a lady who would give away a pedi and has tossed baskets of makeup and perfume - from all age phases of my life. How about you read a post in full before coming back with sarcasm?

One of the hardest things to do is not to project what YOU would like to receive into a gift for someone else.

ie I love candles and would be thrilled if someone bought me a $5 candle even though we all know a $5 candle rarely burns well. But that doesn't mean I should GIVE candles as gifts, as scents are very personal and I know people who hate all candle scents.

The girl in question does love jewelry and makeup, but again, unless the OP knows exactly what she likes, or that she's not fussy, is it worth it? At 13 she may think "why did she get me that?!" instead of "I'm really happy she thought of me!"

Old 03-26-2017, 08:13 AM

Sigh.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Sigh.
Or be more clear if that's not what you meant.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:54 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,029,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post

IMHO
You have no idea what you are missing. I have a few of my guy friends that now go for pedicures. It is a major stress reliever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting