Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 06:55 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

Remember the immortal words of Arthur Carlson on successful child raising......Insure everything and hope for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 07:03 PM

307 posts, read 363,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
That is hilarious. If I'd had that template, my kids would have torn it up and flushed it down the toilet.
lol, that's hilarious.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:08 PM

307 posts, read 363,243 times
Science actually has it's own template on child development called Eriksons Stages of Psychosocial Development. It applies to all children (with everything being equal of course)

When I posed the question of course, I was looking to see something that's compatible with those stages. anyhoo, the preacher doesn't include these stages in every sunday sermon so I suppose it's not that well known.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:26 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
This is a thought that has been perusing in my mind for a while so I thought I'd bring it to the forum. There have been hundreds of thousands of parents who have raised their children successfully so it brings me to a question. Is there such a thing as a template for raising children successfully?

I mean not the 25 steps that you see online everyday but a proven process that when applied at each stage in the child's development, would mold him into a positive, successful adult ready to take on life.

I've already googled it of course, but found nothing concrete. Besides, it's more fun when discussed
No.

Every child is different. Every child has completely different needs. A template suggests that a systematic approach will work. My daughter is different from my oldest son who is different from my younger son.

I got better at parenting when I threw out the rule book and dealt with them as individuals rather than according to some abstract philosophy.

Gonna say it. I know four different child psychologists. Every single one of them has screwed-up kids.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:17 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
This is a thought that has been perusing in my mind for a while so I thought I'd bring it to the forum. There have been hundreds of thousands of parents who have raised their children successfully so it brings me to a question. Is there such a thing as a template for raising children successfully?

I mean not the 25 steps that you see online everyday but a proven process that when applied at each stage in the child's development, would mold him into a positive, successful adult ready to take on life.

I've already googled it of course, but found nothing concrete. Besides, it's more fun when discussed
No. The answer is no.

Children are people, people vary, therefore there is no single correct way to approach anything to do with people.

Most parents muddle along doing the best they can, and most of the time it works out fine. End of story.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:20 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Science actually has it's own template on child development called Eriksons Stages of Psychosocial Development. It applies to all children (with everything being equal of course)

When I posed the question of course, I was looking to see something that's compatible with those stages. anyhoo, the preacher doesn't include these stages in every sunday sermon so I suppose it's not that well known.
Did you read your own source? Erikson's theory has real criticisms and some of it is still debated.

"Erikson's theory may be questioned as to whether his stages must be regarded as sequential, and only occurring within the age ranges he suggests. There is debate as to whether people only search for identity during the adolescent years or if one stage needs to happen before other stages can be completed."

It is a theory that holds a lot of weight and is supported by a lot of evidence. That being said it is hardly a "template" and even if it is rock solid, no theory would be expected to work on every person. That is just not how science works.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:38 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
No. The answer is no.

Children are people, people vary, therefore there is no single correct way to approach anything to do with people.

Most parents muddle along doing the best they can, and most of the time it works out fine. End of story.
Actually listening to your kids and learning what they are telling you with their words and behavior SHOULD be the template.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:13 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
No. The answer is no.

^^^^ Agreed.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:19 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
There is no more a standard template for all children than there is a standard template for maintaining all vehicles, regardless of type - and the human body and the developing mind of a child are vastly more complex than even a jet fighter or the space shuttle, and the species is far more individually diverse than even supertankers compared to motorcycles.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:29 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:

Sure, Eirkson's stages are valid. Very valid. But they can't (and don't attempt to) take into consideration the bajillions of factors that go into human existence. Genetics, temperament, chemicals, brain development, environment, value systems, religion, education, culture, physical health............................You just can fix a template around something with that many variables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting