Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 03:10 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Honestly? I worry more about catastrophic car accidents.
This^

I carry a concealed weapon for safety sometimes, but I'll never own an older vehicle or a little economy car because of safety. The same will go for my children when they're old enough to drive.

The biggest threat your children face is an auto accident. Dead or permanently injured is forever...............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 03:11 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
How do people feel about their sons getting the **** beat out of them for simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time? That's far more likely than rape or sexual assault is
Cite please.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
How do people feel about their sons getting the **** beat out of them for simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time? That's far more likely than rape or sexual assault is
Is it? I know its anncedotal, but I don't know any men who have had the "**** best out of them for simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time." I do however know a number of women who have been sexually assaulted. I've always had more friends that were male then female, its not that I just know more women. And being in a fight dosnt have the social stigma that sexual assault does, so I wouldnt think as many men would keep it a secret like what happens with those who are sexually assualted.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:24 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I was raped. I was wearing jeans and a tshirt. I had one beer while hanging out with my roomate, her boyfriend, and some of their other friends in the house we were renting. I went up to my room when everyone else had gone next door to smoke. While they were gone, one of the guys came up to my room and raped me. We were somewhat friends, I had liked the guy, so we had previously kissed. While raping me he told me that I just didnt know what I wanted, and since I had shown interest in him before, this is what I must want.

So tell me, what did I do to make it my fault? Should I have never had anything to drink in my own home? Should I have taken up smoking so I wasnt alone? Should I not be able to kiss a guy without him taking it further? I'm not "trotting around on a its not my fault high horse". It simply was not my fault. Despite what people tried to say, I did nothing wrong. And trust me, I thought about it a million times wondering how things could have been different. Rapes happen, and it is no ones fault but the rapists.
I'm so sorry for your experience, and though you (seemingly) understand it now,... it wasn't your fault.

I'll say it mostly for all the posters who think that maybe it was or sexual assault is at least partially the woman's fault. It isn't. It wasn't her fault. It was her rapist's fault. Not a difficult concept.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Few things are worse on a person emotionally than being sexually assaulted, especially raped.

1 out of 5 or 6 American woman has been the victim of rape or attempted rape. For other types of sexual assault, it's even more. Almost half of all women in the US have experienced sexual violence other than rape.

I think part of the problem is that people don't understand how diverse rape is. They tend to think being dragged into an alley or van by some random, or "having sex" while too drunk. Rape happens in many many ways, and usually the victim knows her rapist. Not to mention other types of sexual assault...

Old 03-24-2017, 03:45 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
There is a HUGE difference between a cat call and rape. It is weird to have them included in the same sentence as if they are related.
Simply put, they're both forms of unwanted sexual attention. Yeah, some forms of cat calling can maybe be considered harmless. But Ive had men say sexual things to me and then get angry and start following me when I didnt acknowledge them. Or I had a guy say something out his window, u turn, and follow me as he continued to "cat call" out his window. Its a scary and dangerous situation to be in. They may just be words, but it can lead to something more violent. Even if it doesnt, it can still cause a woman to become fearful.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Simply put, they're both forms of unwanted sexual attention. Yeah, some forms of cat calling can maybe be considered harmless. But Ive had men say sexual things to me and then get angry and start following me when I didnt acknowledge them. Or I had a guy say something out his window, u turn, and follow me as he continued to "cat call" out his window. Its a scary and dangerous situation to be in. They may just be words, but it can lead to something more violent. Even if it doesnt, it can still cause a woman to become fearful.
I once had a guy smile huge, creepily, and waggle his eyebrows at me when I walked by him, his eyes on me the whole time we passed on the sidewalk. I was 12.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:44 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:

One is a felony and the other isn't even a crime. And some women it's unwanted, others are flattered. I guess I grew used to it, but also found out if I turned to them straight on and gave them "the" look, they apologized pretty darn fast. But yes there are creeps, and the guys that make you uncomfortable. Probably the same kind of guys that bully guys too.

I've had a guy whisper things to me all night in a club (I would leave for bathroom or play pool, etc.), I could barely make it out, but it crass and vulgar. I marched right up and told his friends, and they made him apologize to me.

I guess what I teach young women is to walk with your head up, make eye contact, speak up (do not talk to me, etc.), and walk to the nearest safe spot (into a restaurant, etc) if you feel unsafe. Do not be vulnerable around strangers (drunk, etc.).

Just for the record, I have had women in bars say some pretty vulgar stuff hitting on women.

Bullies are bullies, to men and women. Women are possible a tad more of a target (I fought off an attempted rape, and was molested by my 4th grade teacher), but I think we need toughen up a tad too.

YMMV
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-24-2017, 04:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
One is a felony and the other isn't even a crime. And some women it's unwanted, others are flattered. I guess I grew used to it, but also found out if I turned to them straight on and gave them "the" look, they apologized pretty darn fast. But yes there are creeps, and the guys that make you uncomfortable. Probably the same kind of guys that bully guys too.

I've had a guy whisper things to me all night in a club (I would leave for bathroom or play pool, etc.), I could barely make it out, but it crass and vulgar. I marched right up and told his friends, and they made him apologize to me.

I guess what I teach young women is to walk with your head up, make eye contact, speak up (do not talk to me, etc.), and walk to the nearest safe spot (into a restaurant, etc) if you feel unsafe. Do not be vulnerable around strangers (drunk, etc.).

Just for the record, I have had women in bars say some pretty vulgar stuff hitting on women.

Bullies are bullies, to men and women. Women are possible a tad more of a target (I fought off an attempted rape, and was molested by my 4th grade teacher), but I think we need toughen up a tad too.

YMMV
You were simply lucky. Sundaydrive00 was very unlucky.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:43 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
After my attacker was arrested ( before the trial) his brother followed me around for a while. He never approached me... just made sure I saw him, and then he'd disappear. There was nothing that the police could do as he hadn't committed any crime. Couldn't even be charged with witness intimidation, because he never approached or threatened me. I told the DA that I did feel intimidated and I was in fear of my safety, but what he was doing didn't meet the standards for WI. I couldn't even get a restraining order against him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting