Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2017, 04:13 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,377,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Honestly, I understand why the SAHP might not have wanted to volunteer but they did have more time and often chose not to volunteer.
Or, they had babies, toddlers or other obligations. There can be a variety of reasons why they weren't available for volunteering.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:35 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,242,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Or, they had babies, toddlers or other obligations. There can be a variety of reasons why they weren't available for volunteering.
And I don't know if this is common elsewhere, but my district is very strict about not allowing younger siblings in the building during school hours. That right there elimates a good portion of willing volunteers, considering most of the parents who are home during the day are hone because they have littles who are not yet school age.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,200,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
And I don't know if this is common elsewhere, but my district is very strict about not allowing younger siblings in the building during school hours. That right there elimates a good portion of willing volunteers, considering most of the parents who are home during the day are hone because they have littles who are not yet school age.
True, but I was talking about helping coordinate snacks for a recreational sports team. It could mostly have been done via email.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I don't know what my district does now; when my kids were young it depended on the teacher. I know security has tightened up everywhere in the past few years.

I was in a babysitting co-op and I'd sometimes use it for volunteering with the older one's class.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:07 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,555,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
There is nothing more immature than judging people whose shoes you have not been in.
I wasn't "judging" anyone; I was giving my opinion about whether parents should stay home with their children in the first few years of their child's life. It's not rocket science: a child is not a sofa, and deserves--in their infancy--not to be dumped at some daycare because their parents didn't have the maturity to plan for having a child. Sorry if that makes you defensive; not my problem.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:42 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,666,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
I wasn't "judging" anyone; I was giving my opinion about whether parents should stay home with their children in the first few years of their child's life. It's not rocket science: a child is not a sofa, and deserves--in their infancy--not to be dumped at some daycare because their parents didn't have the maturity to plan for having a child. Sorry if that makes you defensive; not my problem.

You do what's best for your family and let other people do what's best for their family. Don't call people names, don't make rude comments, don't assume you know the reason a mom maybe working. See that's non judgemental behavior.

Do you see the difference in your comment and my comment?

Old 04-05-2017, 04:10 AM

1,640 posts, read 796,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Did you just call working parents immature for putting their children in childcare while working?

Old 04-05-2017, 06:43 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,964,394 times
What pro daycare people ALWAYS forget in these kind of discussions is the needs of the INFANT.

It's all about the needs of the bank account or the needs of the mother or the needs of the ego/career. The needs of the INFANT are, ever, ever discussed.

If that question was answered honestly -- which is better for infants, daycare or mother? -- the conversation would be very very different.

But they will never address the needs of the infant.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:54 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,483,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
What pro daycare people ALWAYS forget in these kind of discussions is the needs of the INFANT.

Its all about the needs of the bank account or the needs of the mother or the needs of the ego/career. The needs of the INFANT are, ever, ever discussed.

If that question was answered honestly -- which is better for infants, daycare or mother? -- the conversation would be very very different.

But they will never address the needs of the infant.
You have no idea why any mother is working/not working other than yourself.

The needs of an infant can be addressed by people other than the mother with no poor outcomes- especially for a few hours a day, some of which that infant is sleeping.

You really seem to have an issue with the words "facts" and "needs".

Old 04-05-2017, 07:00 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,666,414 times
[quote=newtovenice;47743151]What pro daycare people ALWAYS forget in these kind of discussions is the needs of the INFANT.

It's all about the needs of the bank account or the needs of the mother or the needs of the ego/career. The needs of the INFANT are, ever, ever discussed.

But they will never address the needs of the infant.[/QUOTE

It's not your place to decide what is best for anyone else's child but yours. You do what you feel is right and let other people do what they feel is right for their child. It's really very simple Mind Your Own Business. You don't know nor do you need to know the reasons why people make the choices they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting