Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 04:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I guess you skipped the posts where they have a city intensive trip to Europe booked two weeks after they were supposed to watch the grandkids.

The grandparents are not required to babysit but a commitment is a commitment. They had the option to say no and they didn't. Instead, they backed out and lies about the reason they were backing out. The OP learned a lesson.
No, I didn't.

I guess you missed the part where I said when you're asking a favor of someone, as in flying across the country to watch your kids while you go on trip, you offer to pay their airfare, leave a well stocked fridge, and some gift cards for restaurants.

You also can pay for a nice dinner out for everyone upon your return.

Doesn't matter if it's your 20 year old niece who is in college, or your 40 year old brother who make six figures.

The classy thing to do is pay for them because they are doing you a huge favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 05:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modc View Post
Now, what can I do for our amazing friends who have taken our kids for 2 nights each?

Any fun ideas? Of course I've offered to take their kids ANYTIME and carpool them to gymnastics or whatever they need. Maybe I should make them actual coupons for babysitting or carpooling . I think they basically know I'm their indentured servant for life which is cool with me.
Oh the dramatics.
Quote:
You made the offer to the friends already, leave things as they are. If the friends want something in return they will let you know.
Well, several posters have written that I was not considerate to the in-laws for coming out to help and that I should have paid for their plane ticket. Many wrote that the in-laws may feel they were being taken advantage of. Now I feel badly that it didn't occur to me or my husband to pay for their ticket. I just want to make sure I'm not taking advantage of my friends the way I might have done with my in-laws.
That really is amazing! As I said, my friends are caring for their grandchildren this week while the parents travel; the young parents paid the airfare.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:28 PM

236 posts, read 289,410 times
"[quote=MarianRavenwood;47642418].

"A reunion isn't a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Their very point is that they are periodic."
"

Marian, you are wrong - the point of a reunion is to reunite people. Some are annual or meet every 5 years, but some do not.

This reunion is the first time the department has held one since the college was founded ( over 100 years ago). It is being held because a professor who has been the heart and soul for many decades is retiring. He will be giving a final lecture and people who majored or minored or were an integral part of the department have been invited to a weekend to participate.

There will be campus tours, an opportunity to sit in on a few classes, and the professor's final lecture followed by a reception. This professor was my favorite professor and has had a profound impact on my life and profession.

This is a once-in-a lifetime thing. I seriously doubt this reunion will be periodic.

Last edited by modc; 03-26-2017 at 05:45 PM..

Old 03-26-2017, 05:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Disclaimer, none of my kids have grandkids YET, however I can't think of anything I'd dislike worse than having to babysit for four days straight.

A couple of hours here and there but not step in entirely.

I realize everyone's different but maybe grandad simply just doesn't want to do this?
Then they shouldn't have said they would, and shouldn't have bought tickets to fly out.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:50 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No, I didn't.

I guess you missed the part where I said when you're asking a favor of someone, as in flying across the country to watch your kids while you go on trip, you offer to pay their airfare, leave a well stocked fridge, and some gift cards for restaurants.

You also can pay for a nice dinner out for everyone upon your return.

Doesn't matter if it's your 20 year old niece who is in college, or your 40 year old brother who make six figures.

The classy thing to do is pay for them because they are doing you a huge favor.
How do you know they didn't offer a stocked fridge? This isn't the first time the grands have watched the kids. The only difference is that the grands didn't offer this time. They do pay for their dinners when the go out. The grands were planning on staying 6 extra days so they could all spend time together and they have paid for their dinners in the past and this time would be no different. The OP stated they always try to plan activities that the grands would enjoy. It's not like they were only coming in for 4 days to watch the kids and flying back out and being left with ketchup and mustard in the fridge. Assume much?

It's on the grands this time plan and simple.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:56 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I guess you skipped the posts where they have a city intensive trip to Europe booked two weeks after they were supposed to watch the grandkids.
Well they haven't taken that trip yet, have they? Maybe it's a cancellation candidate as well.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:15 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Well they haven't taken that trip yet, have they? Maybe it's a cancellation candidate as well.

And your point is........

Old 03-26-2017, 06:43 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
[quote=modc;47642885]"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post

"A reunion isn't a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Their very point is that they are periodic."
"

Marian, you are wrong - the point of a reunion is to reunite people. Some are annual or meet every 5 years, but some do not.

This reunion is the first time the department has held one since the college was founded ( over 100 years ago). It is being held because a professor who has been the heart and soul for many decades is retiring. He will be giving a final lecture and people who majored or minored or were an integral part of the department have been invited to a weekend to participate.

There will be campus tours, an opportunity to sit in on a few classes, and the professor's final lecture followed by a reception. This professor was my favorite professor and has had a profound impact on my life and profession.

This is a once-in-a lifetime thing. I seriously doubt this reunion will be periodic.
If all of this truly meant so much to you, then you could muster up the courage to travel by yourself! You went to this college and lived in that city. You'd survive a couple of days without your husband. Unless he's Bruce Lee, what's he really going to do? And there's more I, me, it's all about me nonsense.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That really is amazing! As I said, my friends are caring for their grandchildren this week while the parents travel; the young parents paid the airfare.
That's the way you do it.

[quote=ss20ts;47643479]
Quote:
Originally Posted by modc View Post
"

If all of this truly meant so much to you, then you could muster up the courage to travel by yourself! You went to this college and lived in that city. You'd survive a couple of days without your husband. Unless he's Bruce Lee, what's he really going to do? And there's more I, me, it's all about me nonsense.
Absolutely. No reason the husband has to go, it's not his reunion. While it might be nice for him to meet some of these people, in reality it's the OP who wants to go and that is understandable since it's her college.

But you can do that alone.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
^ whether or not she should go alone, or should have paid the in-law's airfare, or even asked for this favor to begin with is irrelevant. The in-laws said they would do it. They backed out at the last minute. Unless someone is sick or dying, that's not ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting