Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 05:44 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,594 times

Advertisements

No here in MA all kids get tested at 12 months. The dr had no idea i lived in an old house. I recall the pedi asking me, do you have a gun in your house, is someone in your house hurting you but no one asked, do you live in an old house with unsafe levels of lead paint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 06:10 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
No offense to your inspector, but I'm not sure I would rely on him to interpret medical test results.
I agree.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
No here in MA all kids get tested at 12 months. The dr had no idea i lived in an old house. I recall the pedi asking me, do you have a gun in your house, is someone in your house hurting you but no one asked, do you live in an old house with unsafe levels of lead paint.
That's good. I'm glad they test.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:20 PM

Well he wasnt giving me medical advice. He even said he's not a dr. He knew all about levels and thought a 9 was high.

This simply must be happening from small particles of lead dust. I keep reading that's all it takes.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:02 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Well he wasnt giving me medical advice. He even said he's not a dr. He knew all about levels and thought a 9 was high.

This simply must be happening from small particles of lead dust. I keep reading that's all it takes.
You said your husband is a police officer and that he is caring for your daughter during the day, so I am assuming that either by nature or training he is more observant than most people would be. I would charge him with hyper observation of your daughters behavior while he is caring for her.

Have him make notes of what she is doing all day while in his care. Where does she hang out in the house most frequently. What does she do there. What toys does she play with most frequently. What is most often in her mouth. ETC. Maybe a pattern will emerge that you can address.

BTW, I know you said your husband has not been shooting since daughter was born, but be aware that if he goes to a shooting range in the future, either because required or he just wants to, that is a risk to your children.

Research and make sure he takes appropriate precautions like changing clothes before he comes home and showering before hugging the kids, especially if he has a mustache or beard.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:15 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
No offense to your inspector, but I'm not sure I would rely on him to interpret medical test results.

I understand how you must feel, but try to calm down and approach this one step at a time. You are doing all the right things. Even if you cant identify the source, you can have your daughter treated, monitored, tested to make sure its going down. I think its a good idea to get yourself tested as well.

Stating the obvious, but you are using bottled water for drinking and cooking until your water test results come back right? Also, give it to your pets if you have any.

I know the thought of moving out must seem overwhelming, but I would find out from the doctor how long your daughter would need to be out of the home if that's where the lead is coming from in order for her levels to decline.

You mentioned your Dad helped watch her some times. Maybe ya'll could just take the minimal amount of clothes/stuff necessary, buy a few new toys so you don't chance taking a contaminated one and stay at your parents home for a few weeks?
Bottled water is not necessarily a good substitute. There is no regulation of the bottled water industry in the U.S. Last time I checked, one person--one--at the EPA was in charge of overseeing bottled water safety. It's a joke. A few years ago, various brands of bottled water (including "name" brands) sold in grocery stores across the U.S. were randomly tested for purity. About a third of them contained arsenic or other chemical dangers. One guy in Massachusetts sunk a well next to a superfund site, bottled and sold the water as "spring water." Anybody, anywhere in the U.S., can bottle and sell water and market it as they please--and they do.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:41 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Bottled water is not necessarily a good substitute. There is no regulation of the bottled water industry in the U.S. Last time I checked, one person--one--at the EPA was in charge of overseeing bottled water safety. It's a joke. A few years ago, various brands of bottled water (including "name" brands) sold in grocery stores across the U.S. were randomly tested for purity. About a third of them contained arsenic or other chemical dangers. One guy in Massachusetts sunk a well next to a superfund site, bottled and sold the water as "spring water." Anybody, anywhere in the U.S., can bottle and sell water and market it as they please--and they do.
Meh.......I would trust any name brand bottled water before I would drink tap water from a home where I had a child testing high lead levels. To each his own. Pretty sure if Poland Springs, Zephrhills, or other similar name brands had high levels of anything problematic we would know about it by now.

But, if OP has concerns, she can always take empty milk jugs and fill them up at her parents house or friends house where she believes the water is safe.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:58 AM

We are doing bottled water until we figure out the water.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:32 PM

The 3M lead test swabs arrived in the mail and I did some testing. Haven't found anything with lead in it yet though sensor card indicates it works. I tested part of the wall near the basement door where the lead inspector said there was lead, the bathtub, a baseboard, a section near the fireplace, a window sill and a few dishes. The windowsill turned this weird brown orange color as did a section of the bathroom wall i tested then when i put the indicator on the sensor card thing the card and indicator turned red. So it seems like it was working correctly. Im going to buy some more.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
The orange might be a positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting