Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 10:44 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
The only thing that makes me not think it's the MRI is that it was done when she was 3 weeks old...however I'm kind of like WTF at putting this contrast in a 3 week old...however this was done at Children's hospital boston which is a reputable place so i felt like they knew what they were doing. I also don't know if other types of heavy metals would show up on a lead test even if some of it were in her system. It could be completely unrelated...but again this # of 9 has me floored.

She did have two teethers, one my mom gave her and she said it was sterling silver. The other one was mine I believe and I was born in 1978...but i'm fairly certain my son used the same teether. I cant even find them right now. Not sure where they are but there's no way they were swallowed before any one mentions it they are big.
If she sucks on the teethers that could be it. Even some you can buy now contain lead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 01:31 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,323,101 times
I spoke with the lead guy myself and he said he is surprised it was a level 9 based on what he saw in the house and mentioned he's been in the business for 20 years. He said again that there are traces, but it was all very clean, no chipped or peeled paint. Said he wished he could pin point something that he thought for sure would cause this.

Also said it's not unusual to have one child have high levels and the other doesn't.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:40 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
You asked what to check with the swabs. Basically check everything you have ever seen her put in her mouth and anything she handles. Coldjensen said they are only marginally effective. I don't agree. I tested mine on a leaded glass window as a control and pink as could be. Also my glazed dishes from China and Italy came up with lead. As long as the swab doesn't turn pink you can keep checking multiple items. Watch the spot where you put the liquid mark and see if it turns pink. You could even go rapid fire. Mark the spot with a bit of painters tape or masking tape, then swab next to the tape bit and then check the next item. When the time for reaction is up go back and inspect all your swabs. If there is no lead you won't see the swab mark. That is why it is good to put a bit of tape next to it. You only need a small swab of liquid per item. The tape also shows you where to wash the chemical off when your done.

So from what I've read check:
remote control
teethers
dishes
toys
crib
anything she grabs to pull herself up
highchair surfaces
key rings she may get hold of
children's jewelry sometimes contains lead
if she has pierced ears stop putting earring in them and check the posts
if there are metal buttons on her clothes or jackets or zippers etc check them
any wire coverings such as those on power cords, computer cords etc.
lead is not banned from plastics so check your plastic miniblinds (if you have them) and any plastic toys along with the metal or rubber toys
etc...

I would not stop checking things until you find something that turns pink.

From what you said it does not sound like it is lead in the house paint. It sounds like it is coming from some other product or a residual of the MRI. Also if your other child does not have a high level I think that points away from the paint in the environment.

Believe it or not you can buy toothpaste today that contains lead. I actually bought some the other day in a health food store. Luckily I read the warning before using any. I returned it and complained to the store about carrying a lead toothpaste. I've since seen it in another health food store and I complained to them also.
Earthpaste | Lead Safe America Foundation

Discussion of lead in plastic children's toys.
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/opini...oo-1258745.php

Old 04-04-2017, 01:50 PM

Thank you everyone for the help.

I'll be doing the swabs when i get home tonight. We ordered a special vaccuum also and are sending out our water to be tested. Something just isn't right.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:07 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
The only thing that makes me not think it's the MRI is that it was done when she was 3 weeks old...however I'm kind of like WTF at putting this contrast in a 3 week old...however this was done at Children's hospital boston which is a reputable place so i felt like they knew what they were doing. I also don't know if other types of heavy metals would show up on a lead test even if some of it were in her system. It could be completely unrelated...but again this # of 9 has me floored.

She did have two teethers, one my mom gave her and she said it was sterling silver. The other one was mine I believe and I was born in 1978...but i'm fairly certain my son used the same teether. I cant even find them right now. Not sure where they are but there's no way they were swallowed before any one mentions it they are big.
If you haven't already, I would make the people testing and your daughters current doctor aware of the MRI contrast/heavy metal issue and ask them if it can give a false positive for lead.

I would also call the doctor who prescribed the MRI if you know the name. Absent that I would contact Children's Hospital(maybe a patient advocate or some such) and find out who you can speak to regarding your concerns. Maybe just call their radiology dept.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:19 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
As you probably know, the children need to ingest lead in order to be poisoned by it. Unless they are gnawing on old painted surfaces, it seems like the water could be the culprit. Your breast milk could be a carrier.
What caused the children to be tested?

Old 04-04-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the help.

I'll be doing the swabs when i get home tonight. We ordered a special vaccuum also and are sending out our water to be tested. Something just isn't right.
If you have any old or antique painted furniture, make sure you check that.

BTW, I could be wrong, but I don't think the paint has to be peeling or flaking. Wherever there are friction points, like with raising and lowering windows, opening closing doors/cabinets, etc. paint dust can be created that you might not see, but child puts hands there and then into their mouths.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:53 PM

Right i know just lead dust can be in the air...but the inspector didn't think there was that much to create a level of 9.

Im also wondering if she ingested something at some point that had a high level. It's just awful thinking about this and not knowing. Im pissed off.

The water is the next thing we're waiting on. From what ive read if i were to have lead in my system only a small amount would be transmitted through breastfmilk...so id have to be pretty poisoned to give her a BLL of 9 through my milk. I am going to get tested also.

I may never know exactly how this happened. My moms friends grandson had high levels around the same age as my daughter and they never figured out the source either. I am going to try my hardest to figure this out though.

It was a routine test. Every child has to get tested as 12 months.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Right i know just lead dust can be in the air...but the inspector didn't think there was that much to create a level of 9.

Im also wondering if she ingested something at some point that had a high level. It's just awful thinking about this and not knowing. Im pissed off.

The water is the next thing we're waiting on. From what ive read if i were to have lead in my system only a small amount would be transmitted through breastfmilk...so id have to be pretty poisoned to give her a BLL of 9 through my milk. I am going to get tested also.

I may never know exactly how this happened. My moms friends grandson had high levels around the same age as my daughter and they never figured out the source either. I am going to try my hardest to figure this out though.

No offense to your inspector, but I'm not sure I would rely on him to interpret medical test results.

I understand how you must feel, but try to calm down and approach this one step at a time. You are doing all the right things. Even if you cant identify the source, you can have your daughter treated, monitored, tested to make sure its going down. I think its a good idea to get yourself tested as well.

Stating the obvious, but you are using bottled water for drinking and cooking until your water test results come back right? Also, give it to your pets if you have any.

I know the thought of moving out must seem overwhelming, but I would find out from the doctor how long your daughter would need to be out of the home if that's where the lead is coming from in order for her levels to decline.

You mentioned your Dad helped watch her some times. Maybe ya'll could just take the minimal amount of clothes/stuff necessary, buy a few new toys so you don't chance taking a contaminated one and stay at your parents home for a few weeks?

Old 04-04-2017, 05:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:

It depends on their risk factors. I don't think my kids were ever tested. You might live in a high risk zip code just because of the age of your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting