Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 02:42 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,594 times

Advertisements

Im bedside myself and i dont know what caused it still. She tested a 12 from a finger prick test then she had blood drawn by an iv and it was confirmed a level of 9. They like it to be below 5.

My son is almost 3 and at 1 his level was a 3. We are in the same house and nothing has changed. My daughter who has the high reading puts everything in her mouth...but we also live in an older home so im guessing that's the culprit. My husband told me it was fine when we bought it in 2014 but we are having it checked again.

I feel like a failure for not protecting my baby from this. We are very clean, clean a lot, take shoes off in house.

Anyone else know anyone whos dealt with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 02:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Im bedside myself and i dont know what caused it still. She tested a 12 from a finger prick test then she had blood drawn by an iv and it was confirmed a level of 9. They like it to be below 5.

My son is almost 3 and at 1 his level was a 3. We are in the same house and nothing has changed. My daughter who has the high reading puts everything in her mouth...but we also live in an older home so im guessing that's the culprit. My husband told me it was fine when we bought it in 2014 but we are having it checked again.

I feel like a failure for not protecting my baby from this. We are very clean, clean a lot, take shoes off in house.

Anyone else know anyone whos dealt with this?
How old is your home?

Does anyone in the house have a job or hobby where they contact lead (auto repair, batteries, sanding, painting, demo/construction, shooting, law enforcement, soldering, welding)?

Do the kids put things in their mouths, even their fingers?

Old 04-01-2017, 03:05 PM

My house was built in 1920 so theres that. Im guessing there are traces of lead somewhere. We moved in in 2014 and everything was newly painted then we even painted over most of it again. I see no chipping paint anywhere.

She puts everything in her mouth. Guess ill have to keep an eye on that.

DH is a police officer but has never fired a gun other than on a shooting range but hasnt been to one of those since before my daughter was born.

I threw away a bunch of bath toys that had made in china signs because ive heard many bad things on those.

I just am at a loss. Why we didnt have this issue with my son who is only 22 months other than my daughter i dont know...we are having him tested again.

There have been a few house fires in our area lately and two home rennovations on our st over the past few months. There are home rennovations going on all over the city though.

We have someone coming to the house on monday.

We have a family friend who had this happen recently and they never figured out where the source was coming from. They have 4 kids and it only happened to the youngest.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:07 PM

DH does keep bullets in the house but none of us go near them. Sounds like bullets are no longer made of lead and we dont go near them...so i cant imagine it's that.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:12 PM

If you have old windows with painted frames, the friction can cause the old lead paint to chip off. Wash their hands with soap often, especially before eating. Watch what they put in their mouths. Don't let them play with keys or metal jewelry.

Bullets can have lead in them. Make sure your husband washes his hands after handling them.

If they play outside, be mindful of what's going on nearby. If someone else's paint is chipping, it could end up in your yard.

Your local health department might be able to help you with some testing. You can also buy lead check swabs and test some things yourself.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:16 PM

Thanks. We also have forced hot air so im wondering if that could be blowing particles around. The system is in the basement which isnt redone and ive worried theres lead down there. We never go down there

Old 04-01-2017, 08:49 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
What about your pipes? Does she get/use tap water?

https://www.health.ny.gov/environmen...ad/sources.htm

Old 04-01-2017, 09:23 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Test your water!

Old 04-01-2017, 09:31 PM

Water seems logical but no she doesn't drink water yet. Shes only had breastmilk. I guess it could be the tub
..but i dont think she swallows much there. We will hopefully find out monday when we have someone come to the house. Im just suprised...no paint chipping anywhere.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Water seems logical but no she doesn't drink water yet. Shes only had breastmilk. I guess it could be the tub
..but i dont think she swallows much there. We will hopefully find out monday when we have someone come to the house. Im just suprised...no paint chipping anywhere.
If you have a claw foot tub with chipping paint, it could be that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting