Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 12:32 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBridge781 View Post
Well why is breeder offensive? It's someone who has children. The meaning is mate and then produce offspring.
It is not someone who has children it is someone who raises animals of some sort usually to sell. And so applying it to humans is offensive and intended to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 01:11 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
From what I recall, the more militant among the childfree by choice crowd punch back at social lack of acceptance of their choice by intending it to be offensive. I may be wrong.
Yes, I agree. As a participant on childfree discussions for years, and for a brief and weird time as a national spokesperson, I agree that people will often say "breeder" to mean any parent and it is meant to offend.

"Childless" is not offensive, it is often, however, inaccurate. Those of us who have chosen not to be parents are not -less or missing anything. As clunky as childfree is as a term, it is accurate.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:55 AM

412 posts, read 684,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Yes, I agree. As a participant on childfree discussions for years, and for a brief and weird time as a national spokesperson, I agree that people will often say "breeder" to mean any parent and it is meant to offend.

"Childless" is not offensive, it is often, however, inaccurate. Those of us who have chosen not to be parents are not -less or missing anything. As clunky as childfree is as a term, it is accurate.
I agree that the term "breeder" is offensive and as a childfree person do not use it. Also agree that "childless" is inaccurate for those who choose not to have kids as opposed to those who want them but are unable(although adoption might be an option).
I haven't been on this forum for years and thought they would have had a sub forum for childfree people by now. There are many who are opting out of parenting and it's too bad that there's not a place for them.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:35 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
I find it hilarious that this thread is still running!!

Old 01-22-2019, 04:36 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
I agree that the term "breeder" is offensive and as a childfree person do not use it. Also agree that "childless" is inaccurate for those who choose not to have kids as opposed to those who want them but are unable(although adoption might be an option).
I haven't been on this forum for years and thought they would have had a sub forum for childfree people by now. There are many who are opting out of parenting and it's too bad that there's not a place for them.

The people who were supposed to be my parents, also opted-out of it and so I raised myself, despite their interference. So I was not really child-free, although I have no offspring, to speak of.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:32 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
So I was not really child-free, although I have no offspring, to speak of.
What?

Old 01-29-2019, 02:18 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Honestly, under this scenario, who the heck cares at that point? Obviously we are worthless as a species if it gets to that, and the wipeout that will accompany the failures of all the nuclear plants is a perfect way to end it all and start over from the bacterial level. Maybe the next version of mankind will emphasize Reason more and not fall into the destruction of mysticism, collectivism, and savage tyrannies.

Meanwhile, we should expand nuclear power plants and use up all the fossil fuels to create a magnificent and technologically advanced world while we are here. It is irrational to plan for Armageddon.

Thanks for the pointless and self-important bit of nihilism. I wondered when someone would come along and sprinkle some of that around on this thread.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:57 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
We have many regular participants on this board who run the gamut of having/currently raising children to having adult children to non-parents. ?
Non parents don't even belong here. I can't imagine why someone who's not a parent would post on parenting discussions. There's not much to offer but they usually just come here to pontificate on how much they despise parents and/or kids or seek approval for their choice to be childfree. That's about it.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:28 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Non parents don't even belong here. I can't imagine why someone who's not a parent would post on parenting discussions. There's not much to offer but they usually just come here to pontificate on how much they despise parents and/or kids or seek approval for their choice to be childfree. That's about it.
Actually, we've had a number of non-parents over the years who have posted somewhat regularly and offered thoughtful comment. I have no issue with that at all. Rudeness is another thing all together. "Parenting" is the discussion topic, not a membership criteria.

But then I also have no issue with parents of young adults here either so there's that.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:42 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBridge781 View Post
I agree I would not want to be referred to as a breeder.

However to say, oh so and so is childless also seems cold for some reason. something about the word childless. I'd prefer someone to say, they have no kids.
How about barren? They don't have children, so she must be barren. Ouch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting