Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 12:47 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I personally think alimony should be eliminated altogether. There is no reason for it.
I never got a penny, the court decided he had another family to keep.. laughable isnt it..while I had babies to bring up alone.. they got a pittance through the courts as it said it was all he could afford....you have to look at both sides although a lot of alimony cases are terrible ripping off the one partner and sometimes leaving them destitute.. I wouldnt want that for anyone..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 02:31 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
And most men and women are glad about the changes. Marriage is no longer an inescapable prison. We're more civilized now. Both genders can now vote, receive their own pay checks, own property, choose to marry or not, and choose to stay married or not.
It also gives people an excuse to divorce a poorly chosen partner, instead of actually KNOWING the person first. And it gives people an excuse to bail the second they "feel like it." No accountability, HEY we'll just get divorced.

I know people who said that the day that the day they got married that they knew they would get divorced. Huh??? Why get married then? Presents? Party? Just because?

Also, look up some real women's history beyond the second-class, chained to the fence, where's my dinner NOW nonsense. Women were valued and respected. A vote was a HOUSEHOLD vote -- because it was assumed that the husband and wife had similar values, agreed on politics, and would vote the same way. Women owned property and in fact owned some of the 160 acre homesteads in the 1800s when the country was encouraged to populate the west. Women also held many jobs, and owned businesses. Divorce was also a choice. This line of truth, however, is always obscured and dismissed because it doesn't fit certain agendas.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:48 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,200,354 times
As long as one member of the couple is rich/well off/successful their lives will probably be better than if they were both poor. I hope my son and my daughter find mates who are above average earners. I also hope it for them but I don't want to seem greedy.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:50 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,723 times
In life the more money means more options. If I had a daughter I would say go for money if she had a chance. Life struggles are real.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:07 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
So women should not expect a husband to work?
No one said that. This thread is about actively seeking out rich men so women don't have to work so hard. Huge difference.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
And most men and women are glad about the changes. Marriage is no longer an inescapable prison. We're more civilized now. Both genders can now vote, receive their own pay checks, own property, choose to marry or not, and choose to stay married or not.
I agree. Marriage used to be a survival tool for women. As things become more equal for women, we no longer HAVE to get married though many of us CHOOSE to do so. We should want strong marriages built on mutual love and respect, compromise and team work rather than a model where the woman has to be married in order to survive.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I personally think alimony should be eliminated altogether. There is no reason for it.

On this point, I completely agree. Its archaic.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:32 AM

Quote:
It also gives people an excuse to divorce a poorly chosen partner, instead of actually KNOWING the person first. And it gives people an excuse to bail the second they "feel like it." No accountability, HEY we'll just get divorced.

I know people who said that the day that the day they got married that they knew they would get divorced. Huh??? Why get married then? Presents? Party? Just because?
Honestly? So what?

Quote:
Also, look up some real women's history beyond the second-class, chained to the fence, where's my dinner NOW nonsense. Women were valued and respected. A vote was a HOUSEHOLD vote -- because it was assumed that the husband and wife had similar values, agreed on politics, and would vote the same way. Women owned property and in fact owned some of the 160 acre homesteads in the 1800s when the country was encouraged to populate the west. Women also held many jobs, and owned businesses. Divorce was also a choice. This line of truth, however, is always obscured and dismissed because it doesn't fit certain agendas.

I know quite a bit about women's history and you are glossing over a whole lot of information and ideas that women were exposed to before the advent of the women's suffrage movement.

Women were valued and respected as objects, not people.

A vote was in the man's hands, no matter what the woman wanted. Its ludicrous to try and defend the ban on women's voting. Women can and should make their OWN decision and have their voice count in an election. The only voice that counted back then was the actual person voting. Why do you think women had to march for the right to vote? They did it because they knew the right to vote gave them the right to speak up about THEIR issues, which up until then rarely, if ever, happened.

Out west, women had more latitude to own property simply because it was a lawless, sparsely populated area - a great place for egalitarianism to take root. HOWEVER, in the East, the old societal and cultural expectations on women reigned supreme. An infinitesimal number of women actually owned property back then. It was more likely that when a husband died, his money and holdings would be passed onto a son, brother or nephew causing the widow to be at the mercy of one of these men.

Those women who worked were paid less than men and expected to turn their money over to their husbands. They weren't allowed to have their own bank accounts either.

Divorce was not a choice. Where are you getting this information from? Up until the mid 20th century, divorces were only granted to those who could prove fault - abandonment, abuse, etc. You simply couldn't go to the courthouse and say, "We no longer get along. We need to divorce." That didn't happen until the advent of no-fault divorce with California being the first state to adopt it in 1969. Other states followed but slowly. It wasn't until 2010 that all 50 states had no-fault divorce. New York was the last state to adopt it in that year.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:54 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times
Quote:
The high divorce is also skewed because people TODAY believe that 50% of marriages end in divorce.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

When people believed marriage was for life ... they stayed married.
No people now have choices. In 1930 divorce rarely happened, it was a stigma. As a result women stayed in abusive marriages because they could not support themselves and felt they had no choice. Low divorce rates back then was not necessarily a good thing, just meant more unhappy people.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:18 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Honestly? So what?

I know quite a bit about women's history and you are glossing over a whole lot of information and ideas that women were exposed to before the advent of the women's suffrage movement.

Women were valued and respected as objects, not people.

A vote was in the man's hands, no matter what the woman wanted. Its ludicrous to try and defend the ban on women's voting. Women can and should make their OWN decision and have their voice count in an election. The only voice that counted back then was the actual person voting. Why do you think women had to march for the right to vote? They did it because they knew the right to vote gave them the right to speak up about THEIR issues, which up until then rarely, if ever, happened.

Out west, women had more latitude to own property simply because it was a lawless, sparsely populated area - a great place for egalitarianism to take root. HOWEVER, in the East, the old societal and cultural expectations on women reigned supreme. An infinitesimal number of women actually owned property back then. It was more likely that when a husband died, his money and holdings would be passed onto a son, brother or nephew causing the widow to be at the mercy of one of these men.

Those women who worked were paid less than men and expected to turn their money over to their husbands. They weren't allowed to have their own bank accounts either.

Divorce was not a choice. Where are you getting this information from? Up until the mid 20th century, divorces were only granted to those who could prove fault - abandonment, abuse, etc. You simply couldn't go to the courthouse and say, "We no longer get along. We need to divorce." That didn't happen until the advent of no-fault divorce with California being the first state to adopt it in 1969. Other states followed but slowly. It wasn't until 2010 that all 50 states had no-fault divorce. New York was the last state to adopt it in that year.
you are absolutely right. Men hate women They always have, they always will. Women are useless and stupid and served NO purpose. None. And men never want to get divorced ever. Only women.

Every women that married before 1970 did so against her will. All of them. they dreamed only of running their own companies and making millions of dollars. They hated children. None of them ever wanted children, in fact their husbands that bought them raped them often. When daughters were born, the men plotted long and hard as to how soon they could give them away, as everyone knew women were just useless. If they couldn't give them away, they beat them mercilessly. And the men all hated their mothers because they were women too.

Is that the kind of history you learned?

Get a real education, look at REAL history, instead of neofeminist revisionism.

Women were revered and loved. They were sought after because of all the skills they had in cooking, baking, preserving, sewing, gardening, taking care of animals, running small shops and boarding houses. Working on the farm, owning homesteads, writing for the local newspapers, teaching, working the telegraph, working in banks, etc. They were sought after as midwives and healers, they had extensive knowledge of herbs and plants and could use them for preserving foods and creating tinctures and poultices for healing the sick. Most women didn't even want to vote. They didn't care!

But it doesn't make a very good story does it? Learn some REAL history about REAL people and how they lived.

P.S. I believed all that crap I learned in school, too. Then I became an adult and looked beyond the talking point literature that I was force fed by standardized educational systems, and did my own research. And a new and TRUER world emerged. I suggest you start investigating. And stop looking at laws to determine value.

Last edited by newtovenice; 04-18-2017 at 05:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting