Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 05:42 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, funny you should bring this one to the table for several months ago, I asked about the wisdom of having a car that defeated a kidnapping defense. That is, if someone is in the car and kidnapping you, floor it and ram the car into something; the airbag, seat belt will protect you while they are thrown into the windscreen.
Did you forget about the passenger side airbag and seatbelt? And what makes you think your kidnapper would let you do the driving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 06:02 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Why does everyone think a 16 yr old is entitled to drive? I will get my child licensed at 16, but doesn't mean I'll actually let them drive. There will be quite a few factors to determine if I will allow it. Personally I think the age limit should be increased. 16 year olds are too irresponsible.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:13 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Think back to your own youth, and what a wonderful, mystical time those teen, just starting to drive and enjoy life, days were. I remember, like it was yesterday, running down to the mailbox every day to see if my drivers' license had come in the mail. Driving opened up a whole new world for me............suddenly, I was an adult.

So, when my twin sons were 14, we started planning on what they wanted for cars when they turned 16. We build cars, so we were not going to just go out and buy one, we built each one of them the car they wanted. One got a custom VW bug, and the other got an Olds convertible. I can still remember my one son looking at his finished car and saying "This car is going to change my life !"

I realize that all parents have their own philosophies on rewarding their kids and giving them gifts, but our philosophy was that our two were exceptionally good kids and we let them know it by making sure they had the things in life that we could afford and that they wanted. It must have worked out, because I never worried about drugs, drinking, or them being in any trouble, and they both turned out to be kind, productive adults.

Your results may vary.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:18 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
My son is 7. Last year we bought a Jeep with the intention of giving it to him in 10 years. We both got cars from our parents and intend to give him one. It will be a huge help to us as working parents if he can drive himself around once he gets to that age.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:51 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Why does everyone think a 16 yr old is entitled to drive? I will get my child licensed at 16, but doesn't mean I'll actually let them drive. There will be quite a few factors to determine if I will allow it. Personally I think the age limit should be increased. 16 year olds are too irresponsible.
Well, the law thinks they are entitled to drive at 16. If they do all their required hours, pass the test, and are generally "good" kids, why wouldn't I allow it? Of course if they show signs of irresponsibility, or otherwise show me they aren't ready, I won't allow it. That's not my default, though. My kids are pretty responsible right now.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:52 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Our oldest will begin driving under a learners permit later this year. We didn't buy a car with teen drivers in mind, but my husband has put off getting himself a new car for the last 3 years after we decided his current car would be great to pass along to our first teen driver.

If the kid's not ready, they shouldn't be driving, but our 14 year old is highly responsible, and, assuming that doesn't change, I'm really looking forward to her being able to drive herself to school and practices and meetings and study sessions and sporting events...

Old 05-01-2017, 06:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Surely you have read the numerous posts where parents say it has helped them for their teens to drive. Fewer trips for the parents to make. As I said at the beginning of this thread, "never say never".

Old 05-01-2017, 07:03 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Surely you have read the numerous posts where parents say it has helped them for their teens to drive. Fewer trips for the parents to make. As I said at the beginning of this thread, "never say never".
Right. I wouldn't let my kids drive if they didn't seem ready and responsible. We'd just continue with the status quo. But it sure will be easier to get the other 3 where they need to be when the busiest one is able to drive herself in the extra car we provide for her. Even not having to coordinate elaborate carpooling plans will make things easier!

And she's not "entitled" to a car either, but when I've actually looked into if an "Uber for kids" is a thing that exists, I think having that extra car will be well worth it for us as parents.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:14 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
I've got about 14 years to go until I get to this point. However, I refuse to just give my kids a car. If they want one, they can get a job. They contribute 25%-50% or so. I don't care about them buying the entire amount, I just want them to have some skin in the game and start learning to stand on their own two feet. Driving is a HUGE responsibility, so I'd like them to start being responsible. If I happen to have a car I can hand down to them, I'd still insist they get a job to pay for gas, repairs, insurance, etc.

My dad was a little firmer with me and required me to pay 100% for my own car.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:18 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
I didn't get my license until after I graduated college, but I wasn't really interested in driving before then. Basically, I started driving when I had a job that I needed to get to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting