Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 01:26 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times

Advertisements

Its so strange anyone would do that. Luckily I haven't run into that. Does she have extended family? TV shows often show a whole extended family attend a child's events, like Parenthood and Modern Family. Maybe she thinks that it is supposed to be like that and is trying to replace family with friends?

I would die if I was forced to go to more events...sitting through my own kid's events are bad enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 01:42 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
I go to most of my nieces' performances and my mom and sister (sometimes BIL, if he's not working) come to my son's. I love being able to do this - one of the big benefits of all living in the same city.

I wouldn't be against going to a friend's kid's thing, but not on a regular basis, but would for something special.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:27 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It's hard enough sitting through three hours just to see the 1.5 minutes when it's your own child.

Some parents think their children are everyone's brightest light, instead of just theirs. They're wrong.
I was going to say what you did in the first paragraph.

God help me, the elementary school talent show demonstrated that there was very little talent in our town. All the girls wanted to do music-video type dances. So awful and uncoordinated, but that's what you expect from a bunch of 10-year-olds. By the 20th one, you wanted to hang yourself.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:35 PM

3 posts, read 1,692 times
To be honest, yes I would find it annoying and would tell my friends that I don't have an interest in going. If they were to take this offensively then I would question our friendship. I would go to my own kids performances because that's what I'm INTERESTED in. I would expect the same if I invited my friends to see my kid perform..

Old 05-03-2017, 06:21 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,732,440 times
I have a friend that kept inviting me to her daughters dance recitals. I think she got the hint when I said I couldn't make it every time she asked. I am a parent and never asked my friends to my kids recitals, games, etc. Just family and even then I wouldn't mind if they didn't come.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:02 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,495,824 times
That's crazy! I don't even want to go to my own kids' recitals.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:29 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
She is always texting me, other friends, mine and their family members etc...about her kids dance and piano recitals giving us details of when it is and the price and then follows up to ask if we are going. One time I went and watched a 3 hour show when her kid was on stage for 1.5 minutes. I'm not a parents but none of my other friends who have kids do this. Nor did my parents when I was a kid and in shows. I remember my grandparents being there and maybe one of my friends who wanted to go. I just think it really puts people on the spot. She does the same thing with Girl Scout cookies and magazine subscriptions they are selling.
I wouldn't go but I think you should.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:25 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,706,649 times
I invite family members to my child's recital, but I have ALWAYS paid for their tickets. I would never ask them to pay, ever.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:31 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,706,649 times
When I was growing up, only immediate family went to high school graduations; now it seems like the parents want everyone they know to attend.

I've had to attend a friend's child's high school graduation and I thought it was slightly ridiculous. Why couldn't just his own parents be there? Why did they need an entourage of 12 of their closest friends to come along with them?

Only my parents attended my high school graduation and I was okay with that.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:53 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,021,108 times
I find all this snarkiness kind of sad. Why can't anyone just say "Thanks for the invite, but I'm going to have to decline. Sorry." and leave it at that? This person is a friend, right? It's so hard to be polite to your friend?

And I attend family graduations when I'm invited. IMO, it's recognition of an achievement, and I want to honor that.

AND, I find those grade school talent shows to be fun and funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting