Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 10:02 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,821,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx5122 View Post
Fair point strictly from what is posted, but I cannot go through all of the different people and factors involved in this setting. We're lucky to be very financially secure, but the opinions/feelings/implications of those involved do matter--hence my post here.

I simply believe this isn't as big of a burden or deal as my wife might think, just from the obvious undertones of the word "adoption" in general. I could be wrong, which is why I'm asking.

If I didn't care and am just being selfish about it, I wouldn't be posting here at all.
TBH, adoption should be one of the topics to be covered before getting married. Some people are just not into the idea of adopting. Your wife could be very well be one of them. Circumstances do change... but right now, your wife's stance is colored by jealousy and resentment. This makes her the ideal candidate to NOT adopt. You framing this as an act of charity, or thinking that it's not a (or as) big deal or burden is simply dismissing her feelings. She's not going to be won over that way.

I don't know how anybody can be persuaded otherwise. It has to be something she can come into on her own, without your pressure. I think you're going to have to accept that this isn't going to be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 10:13 AM

41 posts, read 22,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
TBH, adoption should be one of the topics to be covered before getting married. Some people are just not into the idea of adopting. Your wife could be very well be one of them. Circumstances do change... but right now, your wife's stance is colored by jealousy and resentment. This makes her the ideal candidate to NOT adopt. You framing this as an act of charity, or thinking that it's not a (or as) big deal or burden is simply dismissing her feelings. She's not going to be won over that way.

I don't know how anybody can be persuaded otherwise. It has to be something she can come into on her own, without your pressure. I think you're going to have to accept that this isn't going to be done.
Great points. Thank you.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:19 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,832,842 times
This story seems to be coming apart at the seams. Hummmm....shocking.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
This story seems to be coming apart at the seems. Hummmm....shocking.
Darn, you're right. I'm making all of this up just because I have nothing better to do. Can't believe you caught me!

(Also, it's "seams"--not "seems". Hopefully you can catch the next person correctly.)

Old 05-06-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Darn, you're right. I'm making all of this up just because I have nothing better to do. Can't believe you caught me!

(Also, it's "seams"--not "seems". Hopefully you can catch the next person correctly.)
Thanks I fixed that. Interestingly, people do make stuff up for no reason...quite often. Its always a new member with some outlandish story that is likely to get people passionate but that doesn't end up holding water. Spend some time around, you will see.

I have a 10 year old daughter...if a man, even a friend, had this much interest in her, I would not let my daughter with in 100 feet of him.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks I fixed that. Interestingly, people do make stuff up for no reason...quite often. Its always a new member with some outlandish story that is likely to get people passionate but that doesn't end up holding water. Spend some time around, you will see.

I have a 10 year old daughter...if a man, even a friend, had this much interest in her, I would not let my daughter with in 100 feet of him.

An interest in her ability to have an equal opportunity in life? I feel sorry for you. That's why we still have a glass ceiling.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
An interest in her ability to have an equal opportunity in life? I feel sorry for you. That's why we still have a glass ceiling.
See immigration and now women's rights? No, this thread wasn't meant to impassion at all. You don't even get to talk to be about either.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:35 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,535,315 times
Quote:
In this vacuum you presented, it sounds extremely strange/creepy/all of the above.

The only problem is that this doesn't reflect the circumstances or situation in the least.

If that's true, why not help the parent's become legal rather than concentrating on THEIR child? I'm sorry to say I suspect ulterior motivations of the creepiest sort. Your wife sounds like she has the same intuition.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
See immigration and now women's rights? No, this thread wasn't meant to impassion at all. You don't even get to talk to be about either.
I didn't make this about women/girls/weird sexual undertones. You did. If I was talking about a boy, it looks like I would've gotten completely different responses. It looks like I should lie next time, because the gender of the person has no bearing on this.

I don't understand your last sentence; I don't think it makes sense.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
If that's true, why not help the parent's become legal rather than concentrating on THEIR child? I'm sorry to say I suspect ulterior motivations of the creepiest sort. Your wife sounds like she has the same intuition.
If you understood anything about immigration law or the INA, you would get this. Her parents have a single option only. By the time they can exercise it, this child would have aged out and not be able to participate. This happens all the time.

I don't blame you for questioning some random internet person, but these are the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting