Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 06:32 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times

Advertisements

Oh I will never forget my daughter's kindergarten class. They weren't allowed to have water bottles at their desks or have water breaks at will. This was in the south...like 90 degrees most of the year. After recess they all lined up and they were each allowed to the count of 4 to drink, then sent back to class.

4 seconds of water from the water fountain, twice a day (there only 2 bathroom breaks). Of course they could drink at will at lunch so I would try to pack extra fluids for lunch time. But by the time I picked them up, they were severely parched. I always had to have a big cold bottle of water when I picked them up or they would melt down.

I wonder if they would have seen an increase in student achievement if they allowed the children to stay hydrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 06:33 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,730 times
This happened to my son in Kindergarten. I ended up having to take my son to his peds who ordered x-rays. I was in the principal's office the next day. My son didn't go back to that school and the teacher wasn't asked back the next year. It wasn't just my son but I was the only one that raised hell over it.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:34 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
SERIOUSLY? I would have been in that principals office that next morning!
Tomorrow is the next morning. This happened Friday, the parent learned of it after school. Principals aren't usually in school over the weekend. Tomorrow, Monday, will be the following morning.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:44 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I've told my kids the same thing. I told them to get up, tend to their need and head right for the principal's office and demand they call me. I know my son would do it, but I don't think my daughter would ever be able to work up the nerve to defy a teacher like that.

TWICE...once in 6th grade and once in 7th grade I started my period in class and the teacher wouldn't let me go to the restroom. I had to sit there and feel myself bleed all over (I have always been a very heavy bleeder). Then sit and wait for all the kids to leave and ask the teacher for help, because by then it was soaked though.

Children of all ages should be allowed to use the restroom at will. And I think its trending that way. My kids past private school and now public school allow them just to grab the pass and make a hand signal or quick word to their teacher and just head out. No big production.

If the kid abuses the restroom privilege, then the reasons why need to be addressed (does the child need breaks? Feeling anxious? Need too cool off). But they should never have their ability to get to the restroom halted. It seems like a basic human right.
That's why I told my kids to just go if they needed to, because my oldest was getting to the age where periods would be an issue. She had also peed her pants a few times in kinder and first grades when teachers told her she couldn't go.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:59 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Tomorrow is the next morning. This happened Friday, the parent learned of it after school. Principals aren't usually in school over the weekend. Tomorrow, Monday, will be the following morning.
Thanks for pointing that out....... I was just stating what I would do, so hope OP is at the school first thing in the morning!

Old 05-07-2017, 08:07 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I told my kids if they were ever in that situation, to just get up and leave for the restroom, and if they got in trouble I'd take care of it.
I've also told my kids the same thing. When you've got to go, you've got to go. Though, I have told them that they need to tell the teacher where they're going, and not to just leave. If the teacher thinks they're asking and says no, they are to say "I'm not asking, I'm telling" and then walk out the door.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:24 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,558,074 times
My son's first 3rd grade teacher did that to him. Several times before I found out. I went first directly to her smiling, and as she didn't expect it, I asked her pleasantly if she was a doctor...puzzled, she said "no". I then told her she was to NEVER refuse my son permission to go to the bathroom when he asked, and that I was taking her behavior on to the principal.
I then reported her to the principal, and decided that day because of something I sensed in his attitude, to withdraw my child from that school. THEN of course the principal became very solicitous, but I told him "too late" and I put my child in private school. He did so well there; I wish I could have been able to afford to keep him in that school until he graduated.
I was absolutely FURIOUS with that teacher, and by the time I left her room she was well aware of my feelings.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:30 PM

1,158 posts, read 960,525 times
I had a third grade teacher that did this too. She was just awful.

My mom also told me if I ever had to go to get up and leave. One day I just could not hold it anymore. I did get up and go. She waited in the hallway and asked why I left? told her I had to go the restroom and my Mom told me I could go leave if I needed to go. She asked me if I would jump off a cliff if my mom told me to -- I told her yes...LOL. She never gave me any trouble after that day.

I will never understand why people that dislike children choose to teach?

Old 05-07-2017, 09:52 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,035 times
Yes, I'd talk to the teacher and the principal. This is a problem that should be addressed.

Teachers need to understand that young children don't have the same bladder/bowel control that adults have.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:49 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
That's really crappy of the teacher to make your daughter hold it for over 2 hours.

When my younger sister first started kindergarten back in 1979, her teacher would not let her go to the bathroom and told her that she should have thought of that while they were coming back from lunch. My sister held it as long as she could but ended up wetting herself and the chair; she was humiliated. We walked to school and it was almost time to go home when she had done it. She cried the entire walk home and told me about how the teacher wouldn't let her go.

My mom was furious when I got home and told her what had happened. She called up that school and told them that from now on, my sister was going to get up and go anyway if the teacher didn't allow her. We didn't have any more issues with the school and the teacher stopped telling kids to hold it so I think she got chewed out.

It's not healthy to hold it, especially for girls/women because of the UTI risk.

Reassure your daughter that none of this is her fault and that you are going to work on taking care of the problem, then call that school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting