Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 12:27 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,300,500 times

Advertisements

In my middle school, we had a "planner" we carried around with exactly 3 bathroom passes a day that the teacher had to sign for us to go. Normally three times outside of lunch and other breaks is more than fair. However, this day I wasn't feeling well at all and used up my three passes fairly quickly. My last period teacher would NOT grant an exception for a 4th much needed pass. I was trying to hold it in the best I could but my stomach was growling. Finally I realized there was no way I was going to be able to not throw up and went to plead my case to her one last time for a bathroom pass. I barely got her name out and before I could finish my sentence barfed all over the floor, trash can and her, covering her legs and shoes. It was pretty epic. I almost feel bad about it but in retrospect she deserved the barf by denying me a bodily function in the first place.

Any teacher that won't allow an otherwise good child who doesn't usually abuse the "privilege" to use the restroom at any time is a failed human being. I also enjoyed how they called it "bathroom privileges" as opposed to a more correct term like "bathroom rights".

Anyways, I would have a word with the teacher and I guarantee after that my kid would be able to use the bathroom whenever he or she felt like it after the conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 01:46 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,839,321 times
I peed my pants in grade school because the teachers refused to let me go. ONE time in 6th grade the teacher wouldnt let me go ( he was a dweeb of a teacher for other reasons) and i let it rain all over his floor. My dad marched right in to the principal and lets just say that teacher had his last year teaching after that and let me go, NO questions asked after.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:52 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,383,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Every child. In your class of 20+. Whenever they ask. Yeah?
I do. However, if they abuse the privilege then they get in trouble.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:58 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,906,400 times
No wonder so many teachers leave the profession within 5 years. The number of people posting who are not even giving the teacher the benefit of the doubt before declaring they would be marching into the school raising hell is the reason so many kids are behavior problems. They know mommy and daddy will provide cover for their antics. I particularly love the parent who is coaching her kids to respond to the teacher's instructions with "I am not asking you, I am telling you." The first response from a parent should be to make sure you have all of the facts. Managing a classroom full of kids is a tough job and parents generally have no clue as to the types of disruptive shenanigans that go on. If the teacher is truly in the wrong, the appropriate action can be pursued in a calm and reasonable manner. If you don't get satisfaction, you go to the school administration. Start with this assumption: most people working at the school truly care about your child's welfare. Because they do.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:39 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,728,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
No wonder so many teachers leave the profession within 5 years. The number of people posting who are not even giving the teacher the benefit of the doubt before declaring they would be marching into the school raising hell is the reason so many kids are behavior problems. They know mommy and daddy will provide cover for their antics. I particularly love the parent who is coaching her kids to respond to the teacher's instructions with "I am not asking you, I am telling you." The first response from a parent should be to make sure you have all of the facts. Managing a classroom full of kids is a tough job and parents generally have no clue as to the types of disruptive shenanigans that go on. If the teacher is truly in the wrong, the appropriate action can be pursued in a calm and reasonable manner. If you don't get satisfaction, you go to the school administration. Start with this assumption: most people working at the school truly care about your child's welfare. Because they do.
I think MOST good teachers truly do care about the children they teach; however as proven by some of the teachers who have posted on this thread, some obviously don't! And it's very sad!

Old 05-09-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
In my middle school, we had a "planner" we carried around with exactly 3 bathroom passes a day that the teacher had to sign for us to go. Normally three times outside of lunch and other breaks is more than fair. However, this day I wasn't feeling well at all and used up my three passes fairly quickly. My last period teacher would NOT grant an exception for a 4th much needed pass. I was trying to hold it in the best I could but my stomach was growling. Finally I realized there was no way I was going to be able to not throw up and went to plead my case to her one last time for a bathroom pass. I barely got her name out and before I could finish my sentence barfed all over the floor, trash can and her, covering her legs and shoes. It was pretty epic. I almost feel bad about it but in retrospect she deserved the barf by denying me a bodily function in the first place.

Any teacher that won't allow an otherwise good child who doesn't usually abuse the "privilege" to use the restroom at any time is a failed human being. I also enjoyed how they called it "bathroom privileges" as opposed to a more correct term like "bathroom rights".

Anyways, I would have a word with the teacher and I guarantee after that my kid would be able to use the bathroom whenever he or she felt like it after the conversation.

I hope you keep in mind that you will be dressing down a teacher who has no "bathroom rights" for him or herself in their workplace.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I think MOST good teachers truly do care about the children they teach; however as proven by some of the teachers who have posted on this thread, some obviously don't! And it's very sad!
As in any profession, there are some people who should be doing something different with their lives. I am not a teacher, but I recognize that teaching is a tough job. Even the best teacher can have a bad day. I just think that the best strategy is to start with the benefit of the doubt and escalate as needed. We all want to protect our kids, but we need to do it in a thoughtful and measured way. It is important that kids have respect for authority in the schools for their own educational and safety benefits and that they learn the proper way to resolve differences. If you hit a brick wall at your local school, you have the school board. I am not in favor of people charging in to the local school and abusing the staff as a way to resolve problems, particularly when a misstep by a teacher could be a very isolated incident.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:02 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,008,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nburns1985 View Post
Don't know whether to have a word with the teacher?

My Daughter 8, year 3 said on Friday after lunch time (20 minutes into lesson) asked the teacher if she could go to the toilet, she said no and that she would have to wait until home time. She asked again and told her she was really desperate but the teacher said she had already said no and to sit down and continue with her work. My little girl said she was bursting by the time the bell went and only just made it, also that holding her wee had gave her stomach ache.

Opinions? She had to hold on for 2 hours
I swear I would NEVER want to be a child again if I could.Some of these stupid teachers need to understand that children have small bladders so they can't HOLD it for very long as an adult might.What is wrong with some people?Children go to the bathroom ALOT...that's just how it is.I'm sure it can be annoying at times then don't teach little kids and teach high school or something...
You should confront the teacher or just go to the principal.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:59 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I hope you keep in mind that you will be dressing down a teacher who has no "bathroom rights" for him or herself in their workplace.
Teachers go into their profession knowing what it entails. I remember a teacher having a bathroom emergency once when I was in school, in my younger years, she had someone cover for her so she could go. There are plenty of aids around, or teachers on hall duty, who can run into the room to stay with the kids, at least in my schools there were. It's doable, maybe a PITA but possible.

The students, OTOH, have no choice but to be in school (not at their will, it's at their parents at the least) and have smaller bladders and the younger they are, the less likely they will be able to hold it/control their bladders. It's pretty cruel to tell a child he or she can't go to the bathroom. I understand that some kids may use it as an excuse to roam the halls or whatever, but other kids genuinely are having an emergency type of situation and may have an accident. Or even vomit everywhere. Neither are appealing. It's better to let the kid go and address concerns about it directly with the parents or school administration if the teacher thinks the student is using the bathroom as an excuse for anything else.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Teachers go into their profession knowing what it entails. I remember a teacher having a bathroom emergency once when I was in school, in my younger years, she had someone cover for her so she could go. There are plenty of aids around, or teachers on hall duty, who can run into the room to stay with the kids, at least in my schools there were. It's doable, maybe a PITA but possible.

The students, OTOH, have no choice but to be in school (not at their will, it's at their parents at the least) and have smaller bladders and the younger they are, the less likely they will be able to hold it/control their bladders. It's pretty cruel to tell a child he or she can't go to the bathroom. I understand that some kids may use it as an excuse to roam the halls or whatever, but other kids genuinely are having an emergency type of situation and may have an accident. Or even vomit everywhere. Neither are appealing. It's better to let the kid go and address concerns about it directly with the parents or school administration if the teacher thinks the student is using the bathroom as an excuse for anything else.

I don't disagree about children being able to use the bathroom when truly needed. A child sitting in a classroom worried they are about to have an accident is not learning.

I do disagree with the implication that a parent is going to storm the school with the intention of browbeating a teacher and not approach the problem, if there is one, in a respectful manner. BTW, I think teachers in most Districts would laugh at the suggestion that there are "plenty of aides" and "teachers on hall duty" there at their beck and call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting