Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2017, 10:47 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robenie View Post
The reason I ask is because a woman I know recently had twins at 44! I don't know much regarding the circumstances, but even so, is that not selfish considering you are far more likely to have children with mental and/or physical disabilities at that age not to mention even if they aren't born with issues you will be far older when they graduate high school and aren't likely to be able to run around and play with them or keep up with them as if you were younger? It also must be very embarrassing for the kids to have such an old mother.
It aint selfish in my opinion,OP.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:38 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,213,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robenie View Post
The reason I ask is because a woman I know recently had twins at 44! I don't know much regarding the circumstances, but even so, is that not selfish considering you are far more likely to have children with mental and/or physical disabilities at that age not to mention even if they aren't born with issues you will be far older when they graduate high school and aren't likely to be able to run around and play with them or keep up with them as if you were younger? It also must be very embarrassing for the kids to have such an old mother.
I think it sort of depends on the circumstances. Is she financially well off enough to pay for good maternity care, pay for life care of any disabilities physical or otherwise a child might have, for the life of the child?
Is she fit? Dynamic? Energetic? Can she pay for help if she needs it? Does she have a partner or family members to step in if something happens to her?

If not then I tend to think its a bit selfish, regardless of age really. Otherwise if anything goes wrong it becomes societies problem.

The world is overpopulated and people don't need children like they used to. Having a child is intensely wonderful and no one should be denied. But then other people shouldn't have to end up dealing with a problem because you made a choice you couldn't deal with or afford. I think people should consider more than just themselves. Back in the day there was no safety net, people should made their decisions as if their weren't. You never know what is going to happen and that is what society safety nets are for. But you should go into the decision with a good plan up front.

As for the age thing on its own I do think there is a cut off for both genders. 44 isn't so bad as long as you are a reasonably fit and energetic person. Some at 44 wouldn't be able to handle it. Some people are still bounding along. When your kids hit 18 I don't think you should be over say, oh 62 or so. I think that's doable for a lot of people. I do feel bad for the kids though when they have their own kids, grandparents too old to help out, just visit them in a nursing home.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:06 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,505 times
I think this is where some people get irritated. A 44 year old woman has obviously done a good deal in life then decides oh and now i want a baby...and in top of that most woman in these situations need IVF. Only up until recently did ivf exist, before that she was out of time and luck unless she was some strange anomoly who could still get pregnant on her own. Maybe some dont agree that someone in their 40s or 50s should be able to head to the lab and create a baby. They waited too long, should have things together now why should they get to have kids too? And yes overpopulation. Situations like this certainly arent going to help. No one will adopt as long as IVF is in existence.

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 05-14-2017 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: Added

Old 05-14-2017, 07:06 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
And yes overpopulation. Situations like this certainly arent going to help. No one will adopt as long as IVF is in existence.
Plenty of people adopt. And if you are so concerned about orphans who need homes, why don't you go and adopt some of those chlidren yourself, instead of judging people who use IVF and medically assisted reproduction. Go out and adopt. What's stopping you?

I don't have to adopt anyone.

It's none of your business what age people have children at, or whether they use medical help to do so.

People don't have to live their lives the way you think they should. You accuse others of being overly emotional about this topic but you have a strange obsession with all of this, and have posted your judgments of others, over and over again. When will you ever quit? You keep interjecting insulting comments towards women and older moms. What's up with this, and why do you have these issues?

Last edited by tassity22; 05-14-2017 at 07:19 AM..

Old 05-14-2017, 07:17 AM

178 posts, read 173,632 times
Quote:
I think this is where some people get irritated. A 44 year old woman has obviously done a good deal in life then decides oh and now i want a baby...and in top of that most woman in these situations need IVF. Only up until recently did ivf exist, before that she was out of time and luck unless she was some strange anomoly who could still get pregnant on her own. Maybe some dont agree that someone in their 40s or 50s should be able to head to the lab and create a baby. They waited too long, should have things together now why should they get to have kids too? And yes overpopulation. Situations like this certainly arent going to help. No one will adopt as long as IVF is in existence.

45 really isnt too old to get pregnant naturally. I know at least 7 women who did manage to get pregnant between 45 and 50 as long as they hadnt gone thru Menopause yet.. I know about the same amount who had IVF to do it. Its probably more a matter of your genetics and your lifestyle. Stress has a lot to do with it. Three of the women I know who get pregnant did so after repeated failed IVF cycles. After they gave up and decided to just enjoy their lives, they got pregnant on their own.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:17 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
Maybe some dont agree that someone in their 40s or 50s should be able to head to the lab and create a baby
You make it sound as if they're going to give birth to Franenstein's monster.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:51 AM

My main issue is with IVF.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:03 AM

175 posts, read 203,422 times
IVF isn't "new"...the procedure has been used for almost 40 years. Plenty of adults walking around today conceived via IVF so if it resulted in some kind of mutation (I don't understand what abnormality you think it leads to), we would know by now.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:13 AM

Not everyone was meant to be pregnant and give birth.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:42 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,919 times
By now, I think people should realize there is a poster here with an issue, this person should be either reported or ignored. I'm not sure which, but just recognize there is an issue here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting