Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 09:04 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Responsible parents tell their children to avoid all unrelated adult and adolescent males. These are the people whose numbers fill the list of registered sex offenders, It's common sense to strongly advise children to do this.

Your own children should be your primary concern.
Wow, avoid all unrelated adults when it is often related adults who molest kids?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ren-are-family

Quote:
Most of the perpetrators of child abuse (neglect, physical abuse, and sexual abuse) were family members. For example, 80.8% of (instance-based count, rather than person-based) perpetrators were parents, 5.9 percent were relatives other than parents, and 4.4 percent were unmarried partners of parents. In addition, the perpetrators included sibling, victim’s boyfriend or girlfriend, babysitter, other caretakers, and strangers.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:05 AM

1,186 posts, read 965,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Anything goes, eh? That's also called "a lack of standards".
Nope, quite the contrary, but 'standards' (Whatever you define them as) are typically mutable and the effect that they influence the way you treat those who don't live up to them, matters as a society. It's not a long logical leap to believing someone is unworthy of societal acceptance to acting out on that belief, which is where the potential problem arises.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:16 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Anything goes, eh? That's also called "a lack of standards".
What is a "standard"? March along like every other lemming, and if you are different suppress it and be miserable? I, personally, prefer ethical behavior, character, integrity, kindness, judgement to "standards" But that's me.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:18 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
There's a very strong likelihood that it's all theoretical to the people who are complaining. If the day came when their child or a grandchild came to them and said they were gay, I'd say there's a good chance that they'd be accepted and that no one would say "oh well, too bad, so sad, go commit suicide as your consequence." It's all just opinionated conjecture until and unless it happens when this type of thinking is concerned.

My extremely conservative anti-welfare grandfather is very excited about his beloved (also Ted-Nugent-loving, conservative) granddaughter having a baby. Of course it's exciting! It's not a problem for him (or for her) that she's on Medicaid and that she's not married. It's okay because now it's personal; a sweet baby is about to be born! It's not people like her who are the welfare leeches and moochers with no standards... it's those "other" people who are the problem. It's just a page from the "I've got mine, so who cares about you?" guidebook that many seem to carry around.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
Nope, quite the contrary, but 'standards' (Whatever you define them as) are typically mutable
They are mutable because those that don't conform choose to ignore them.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
There's a very strong likelihood that it's all theoretical to the people who are complaining. If the day came when their child or a grandchild came to them and said they were gay, I'd say there's a good chance that they'd be accepted and that no one would say "oh well, too bad, so sad, go commit suicide as your consequence." It's all just opinionated conjecture until and unless it happens when this type of thinking is concerned.
For those of us who know people for whom this has actually happened, it is hard to believe in this acceptance.

Quote:
My extremely conservative anti-welfare grandfather is very excited about his beloved (also Ted-Nugent-loving, conservative) granddaughter having a baby. Of course it's exciting! It's not a problem for him (or for her) that she's on Medicaid and that she's not married. It's okay because now it's personal; a sweet baby is about to be born! It's not people like her who are the welfare leeches and moochers with no standards... it's those "other" people who are the problem. It's just a page from the "I've got mine, so who cares about you?" guidebook that many seem to carry around.
Ugh.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:25 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
For those of us who know people for whom this has actually happened, it is hard to believe in this acceptance.

I know; it's sickening and sad. I think that most parents do come around, though. I can't imagine turning my back on my child for simply being who they were meant to be. Or for any reason, really. Those parents have to live with themselves... I have no idea how they manage to even get up in the morning and look at themselves in the mirror after rejecting their own child.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I know; it's sickening and sad. I think that most parents do come around, though. I can't imagine turning my back on my child for simply being who they were meant to be. Or for any reason, really. Those parents have to live with themselves... I have no idea how they manage to even get up in the morning and look at themselves in the mirror after rejecting their own child.
Cuz god cares more about what's in people's pants and what they do in the bedroom than love and caring. Jesus would be horrified.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:35 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Did any of you notice that this was the book that was shared at this particular story time. You're Wearing THAT to School?! by Lynn Plourde. It's a great book. It has nothing to do with sexuality, but with fitting in.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:59 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
How does the Drag Queen square with feminism?

Does the depiction of female beauty standards, language, and behavior promote a positive image of the modern female persona?

While adults may see it for the satire it is, children may come away with a warped perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting