Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 01:46 PM

560 posts, read 538,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It's much easier to live and let live when it's a house party. The OP's son was having a laser tag party, and those usually require a minimum number that you pay for, whether or not guests show.

I don't see a logical reason for parents of invited guests not to have the courtesy to let the host know "life happened", and they would not be able to make it.
That is primarily why i was pissed; it was a specific numbers type of venue; the minium needed to have a successful laser tag game was 10 players, i invited 17 (all are in his class of 6 year old kids) and was prepared for severals to say no's, cancel due to sick/injury like one classmate did morning of party.

That parent of injured classmate STILL made the time to call me from the ER! the no shows did nothing. so it skeweked the numbers off, and luckily there were enough parents around who was hanging to play the laser tag with the kids to make it an even 10. In the end, my son was still thrilled and happy, so it's really all me like some of you said, and i'll let it go and chalk it up to a learning lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 03:20 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,158,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Although it was rude, I find it equally rude to point out the poor behavior of other adults.
The no shows cost real money to the parents. If someone does not show for a home party, the cost is a handful of dollars on snacks. Not so an event party. It is not merely rude.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:21 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,158,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2be1053 View Post
would you say anything to the parents of no shows that was supposed to bring/drop their kid off at my son's laser tag party?

we had a couple of no shows today after indicating their attendance to yes without any notification by way of text, email or phone call. Rude? let it go? or call them on it?
Beyond rude. Expensive. However, you can't fix inconsiderate, selfish people who should have at least called if they had to cancel so you could adjust the numbers with the event. Saying anything will be of no use to your kids who presumably have to continue to interact with them.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:26 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,704,273 times
I have 2 children (ages 11 & 8). Unfortunately, there will always be one or two parents that reply "yes" to a party invite and then will not show up with no call/text, etc. In this case I just let it go, but I will not invite those kids again, neither will I invite them over for play dates. If the parents are that rude that they can't send me a quick text just to let me know then I need no further contact.

BTW, I just had this with my 11 year olds party. I got stuck paying for an extra kid ($10) because the mom replied yes for her kid and then didn't show up. I had to pay for all the kids that I gave a head count for 2 days prior!

Old 05-21-2017, 04:52 PM

560 posts, read 538,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I have 2 children (ages 11 & 8). Unfortunately, there will always be one or two parents that reply "yes" to a party invite and then will not show up with no call/text, etc. In this case I just let it go, but I will not invite those kids again, neither will I invite them over for play dates. If the parents are that rude that they can't send me a quick text just to let me know then I need no further contact.

BTW, I just had this with my 11 year olds party. I got stuck paying for an extra kid ($10) because the mom replied yes for her kid and then didn't show up. I had to pay for all the kids that I gave a head count for 2 days prior!
I feel for you! I'm happy to say, after 2 weeks of school before summer is out, we won't see those kids nor parents again cuz my son is moving to a different school this fall. This is one of main reasons why im letting this go, since it isn't like i'll have many years of interaction with said students/parents ahead of us. Just rude all round, IMO. I actually took the time to email the mom who texted me MORNING of the party to tell me she was at the ER with her son, and isn't able to come to the party. That IS considerate, and i would have given her a big pass if she han't emailed me day of, cuz of her trip to the ER but a heads up afterwards would still be appreciated.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:33 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,704,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2be1053 View Post
I feel for you! I'm happy to say, after 2 weeks of school before summer is out, we won't see those kids nor parents again cuz my son is moving to a different school this fall. This is one of main reasons why im letting this go, since it isn't like i'll have many years of interaction with said students/parents ahead of us. Just rude all round, IMO. I actually took the time to email the mom who texted me MORNING of the party to tell me she was at the ER with her son, and isn't able to come to the party. That IS considerate, and i would have given her a big pass if she han't emailed me day of, cuz of her trip to the ER but a heads up afterwards would still be appreciated.
Yes, someone who is sick or even in the hospital is definitely understandable! I would absolutely give a pass for that as well! I understand things happen, but if it's simple the parents made other plans or something they can at least reach out and let the party mom know. It is what it is, there will always be one or two.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:51 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,275,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Although it was rude, I find it equally rude to point out the poor behavior of other adults.
Yeah, Riiiiiiiight!

Old 05-22-2017, 04:33 AM

4,903 posts, read 4,200,363 times
Quote:
It's much easier to live and let live when it's a house party. The OP's son was having a laser tag party, and those usually require a minimum number that you pay for, whether or not guests show.

I don't see a logical reason for parents of invited guests not to have the courtesy to let the host know "life happened", and they would not be able to make it.
Considering the host would have had to pay in advance for the party I think it was quite rude.. Calling at time of party and asking if guest if alright would should concern. Calling after the party is just asking for problems with these ignorant folks.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:44 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,574,135 times
It's rude not to call or text. A text takes like five seconds so barring a major emergency (car accident or similar) I can't think of a reason not to send one. I don't think you should go on the war path but I would say that you missed seeing them Saturday and ask if everything's ok. As my mom always told me you can't fix stupid. And really rude and stupid tend to go hand in hand.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:16 PM

685 posts, read 1,102,658 times
Quote:

You would think right? The rudeness of parents these days when it comes to class parties, is insane. Thank god I had a class directory since I had to text half of the invite list to get even get a RSVP. Because it's not worth people's time these days to RSVP.I was a nervous wreck thinking no one was going to show for her party. This coming year? She can take out 2-3 close friends and call it a day. Way, way to much anxiety for a 6 year olds party. And my party was at someplace where I needed a head count. Not everyone can fit or wants a house party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting