Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 12:32 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The problem with this though is those occasions where the child WANTS to leave, and is tantruming because he wants to leave. Then if he tantrums and you leave, he did get what he wanted.
The trick is to leave the situation, not the venue. Take the child to a restroom, your car, the parking lot, an empty hallway or lobby area to wait out the tantrum and then resume whatever you were doing if that's possible. Otherwise it's straight home and putting the little darling right to bed for a much needed rest (for mom if not for the kid )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 09:15 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
It's different with every generation I think. Right now you have more special needs kids, facebook and other social media sites to show off your kids in, politically correctness with a bit of sixties revival. Parenting books out now encourage conversation, freedoms of expression, etc.

My mom said the parenting book that was all the rage when she was young was, leave them to cry in their cribs in another room so they don't grow up spoiled. lol Oh, and spanking when necessary.

This isn't the parenting advice now.

It depends on a lot of factors but each generation handle their own well because they are all on the same page. These days I assume a child in a full blown tantrum at the store might have Austism, ADHD or something like that and I just feel for the parent. I try to help if I can by being accepting.

I think the attitude that a kid is spoiled, or parents are bad is for the most part had by older parents or grandparents because that is what it meant in their generations. I know people who freeschool their kids and that's fine. This gen is all about freedoms. They think that is the most important. Plus, one out of every six kids in America have a developmental disability. So, there will obviously be more meltdowns at stores, more wandering out of control, what we might think is "rude" behavior. A lot of kids are on meds, and they have side effects.

I usually find a logical reason for kids freaking out in public (must be spectrum, free raising or tired). I never think, oh, what a brat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting