Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 10:38 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,742,675 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who recently got full custody of her 3 year old son. She went to the WIC office to get vouchers transferred to her name. They said that they got printed for 3 months and this is a month after she got full custody. SO she cant get them till July. The father didn't give them to the mother and they are printed to be used between 2 dates, so it's not as if he could have used them all in a couple weeks for the child they were intended for. I'm thinking of reporting this, because I hate scammers, especially people who scam kids of their food.

If I report this, I think I should wait a couple weeks. Its already been 3, but that will show he kept using the vouchers for longer. It's been 3 weeks already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 11:47 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
It's such a small amount for a limited time that they probably wouldn't bother investigating.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:11 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It's such a small amount for a limited time that they probably wouldn't bother investigating.
That's what I am thinking. While I also hate scammers, in the overall scheme of things, biological dad drank a few quarts of milk & ate some cheese (and maybe some fruit & vegetables) that were really meant for his child or Mom, IMHO it is not a big deal.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:53 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
WIC $ (Items credits) are worth about 25¢ to the WIC Dollars on the Black Market.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:10 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Some things I wouldn't get involved with. If the mother wants to follow it up, she can. But its her business. If they did follow up, it could make things worse with her ex. Or you might find out your friend is the scammer.

Better to just let it go...put on your super hero cape and find bigger fish to fry if you need to right wrongs in this world.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:49 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
I don't think this is WIC fraud - this is the dad stealing from the mom.

WIC did this, knowing full well that the mom now has custody and they chose not to reissue the vouchers in her name or contact the dad in any way to retrieve them?

So basically WIC did this, and knows about it, so it's hard to believe it's fraud.

I think the mother could ask the court to force him to give her the vouchers.

If you report it, you'd basically be telling WIC what they know full well.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:12 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't think this is WIC fraud - this is the dad stealing from the mom.

WIC did this, knowing full well that the mom now has custody and they chose not to reissue the vouchers in her name or contact the dad in any way to retrieve them?

So basically WIC did this, and knows about it, so it's hard to believe it's fraud.

I think the mother could ask the court to force him to give her the vouchers.

If you report it, you'd basically be telling WIC what they know full well.
Yeah...well when I was a kid, if the child moved out and the parent got aid, the original parent was supposed to take the left over aid (food stamps, cash etc) to the welfare office, give it to them and let them redistribute it. But it also had to be pro-rated properly or the parent the child was with originally would have to pay back an amount. And then the parent the child was currently with had to go through the steps to qualify for aid.

No one in any office wants to deal with all that. So...I am not sure what the protocol is now, or for WIC. But it seems like if the mother has a lawyer, she should see if they could draft a demand letter. Or just let her take care of it. The health department or welfare office doesn't want to be spending time on this.

Again, I have no idea how things are now...but on the scale of fraud, it seems pretty low.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:05 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
I'd stay out of it. This is someone else's problem. If anything he's stealing from his child. That's for the mom who just got custody to take care of.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:39 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I'd stay out of it. This is someone else's problem. If anything he's stealing from his child. That's for the mom who just got custody to take care of.
This. By the time anyone takes a look at this, mom will have a new set of WIC checks. Nobody is going to pursue something like $25 worth of milk and eggs. It's really a better use of your resources to offer to pick up milk and cereal for the mom if she needs help with food. Or offer to drive her to a food pantry to help her out until she gets the WIC in her name again.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:23 PM

676 posts, read 725,848 times
You would be wasting your time no one is going to care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting