Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:50 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,478,568 times

Advertisements

hehehehe I was thinking about Pin the Tail on the Donkey, I remember that from all the parties as a kid and I have to say, I have yet to see it now!

I agree,probably no harm in the HSM from what I have seen of it, I think I was also more bothered by the way the girls were dancing and just how into the clothes and makeup they all seem to have been at this particular party.
I just think back a lot on when I was little and playing on the swings and with my Barbie camper was a day in heaven!
I certainly don't remember even experimenting with makeup until I was in middle school.

I say also, let them be little kids as long as we can
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 09:04 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,732,857 times
I was a pretty open-minded parent about letting my kids have fun, but I have to agree with you on this one. The over-sexualized dance moves would have bothered me, and I am indeed bothered by the way some parents let their very young daughters dress.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:15 AM

286 posts, read 1,318,198 times
The simple question you need to ask yourself is....do I find this behavior appropriate or not for my child.

It's a very fine balancing act between protecting your children, but also allowing them to make friends and be "one of the girls". My daughter is 7, and was introduced to HSM at a birthday party. I've watched it with her, and I found she just loves to sing along with the music. More importantly, she has something else in common with her friends. Learning how to fit in with a group is also an important element in my daughter's development. I certainly watch her carefully, and observe who she plays with. But, I need to step back and let her learn how to socialize.

It's also different if the child has older siblings. I know I always wanted to be like my big sister, which meant wearing makeup or dressing up. I think that's a natural part of growing up - little kids emulate bigger kids. The important element is making sure the younger children emulate good behavior and ideals. As the parent, only you can determine what is an acceptable type of behavior for your child. I've seen plenty of little girls who dress like streetwalkers, and who have nicer manicures and pedicures than me! However, my child is limited in choices - I set the limits.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:36 AM

438 posts, read 1,505,204 times
You did not over-react at all! I have a 7 year old and I totally understand. HSM and Hannah Montana are really cute though. HSM is pretty much the watered-down, super sanitized version of Grease. Hannah Montana, which I watch with my daughter, is innocent enough. No skanky-dressed girls dancing like hoochies. I know what you mean about dancing. I see some of these little girls dancing like hookers and it drives me nuts! No parents, its not cute that your daughter is shaking her booty like some streetwalker. There are perverts out there!

As far as clothing, I won't even let my 7 year old wear a tankini. I figure she's gonna rebel against me later with clothing choices. If I dress her like a nun now, maybe her rebellion later will be to dress kinda normal.

And have you guys heard of this "Libby Liu" store? Its pretty much a school for strippers. Holy cow! We run past it every time we're in the mall.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:40 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,697,572 times
I honestly felt like this over the weekend also...We went to a bday party for a THREE yr old and she knew (along w/all the other friends except my children) all the Hannah Montana songs. My kids know about Hannah Montana but have not watched her shows; I watched one episode to see what it was about during their naps one day, and saw it was more for 12 and up; in this episode the girls were talking about eachother and how they were going to make the boys jealous; my 5 yr old does not need to know about those "catty" attitudes at this point. This weekend I really felt like I was sheltering them. I guess it all boils down to PEER PRESSURE, and unfortunately that peer pressure is not for teen years anymore and I think it is effecting the parents too...

Old 03-10-2008, 10:12 AM

515 posts, read 1,553,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
I say, let little kids, be little kids!!! what ever happened to pin the tail on the donkey?
I totally agree! My son just turned 6 a couple months ago, and pin the tail on the donkey is a staple at his parties! He'd be heartbroken without it!

No, you are not sheltering too much. You are protecting their innocence, and there's nothing wrong with that!

~D

Old 03-10-2008, 11:37 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,252,390 times
I have three boys, so I'm a little out of the loop when it comes to little girls, but a few weeks back I was at my niece's 5th birthday party and was SHOCKED when I saw the way the little girls danced!

Honestly, I am not a prude by any means, but seeing these 4 and 5 year olds thrusting and grinding to the music was a bit much to take.

I have seen the Hanna Montana and Cheetah Girls videos, and relly do think it's too 'advanced' for little girls. However, they market to that age group, so it' sback on the parents to not allow it.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:56 AM

116 posts, read 447,510 times
I think it is ridiculous for a little girl's birthday to dance that way.
The make-up part sounds fun though.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:03 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,215,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missannie View Post
I think it is ridiculous for a little girl's birthday to dance that way.
The make-up part sounds fun though.
I tend to agree. Not oversheltering at all. Make-up part, I think is OK. The rest, no.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:59 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,456,586 times
No you don't. I can't stand the stuff I see in Toys R Us when I shop for my friend's daughters. I am by no mean a prude (& mid 30s isn't that much of a generation gap), but the girls' toy aisle in Toys R Us looks like pepto bismal was poured all of the place (way more pink/frilly then I remember as a non-tomboy child) & the dolls make Barbie look pure! When I buy gifts for birthdays, X-mas etc. I trend towards art supplies & things more usable for any gender. I just can't wrap my head around some of the toys I see & I don't have to get it for them; someone else can. And the kids enjoy the toys I buy just fine, so I don't feel guilty. In short I definitely think that little girls are being more and more oversexualized as time moves on & it is really bothersome to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting