Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2017, 11:04 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
'sure some people have this issue. But don't underestimate how many women work because they don't just want an average lifestyle on one salary.'

so what what? My point is many women continue to work not just because they enjoy it but because they want to be in a certain income bracket. Someone else was saying people do it for things like healthcare insurance and retirement. Some do it to be richer.
Wanting a better than average life for yourself and your kids is not a bad thing. You seem to think you get to draw the line at what income justifies working. You don't.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:09 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times
I figured someone would. I'm just saying that the kids I know who are sleep trained act odd. It can't be healthy to be in daycare all day and then sleep trained to sleep through the night at around 4-5 months (when these people i know did it).

Old 06-05-2017, 11:10 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Wanting a better than average life for yourself and your kids is not a bad thing. You seem to think you get to draw the line at what income justifies working. You don't.
Ok, you must be in a bad mood today. Where did i say it was a bad thing? I simply said IT'S WHY SOME PEOPLE HAVE BOTH PEOPLE WORK RATHER THAN JUST MAKE ENDS MEET ON ONE INCOME.

Then there are people who can still do amazingly well on one income.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:14 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,690 times
Quote:
How is providing financially for your children "selfish?"

I was thinking the same thing. If I wasn't working when the housing crash occurred and my husband lost his job, we would have had to move in with his parents or my sister. My job kept us afloat for two years. I don't think it was selfish to want financial security, I think it was responsible.

On the other hand, I have a friend who is very proud of the fact that she is a SAHM and points out "If we can make it work, anyone can". However, her parents are constantly having to help them out. Her parents bought them a minivan, paid for their vacations and buy a lot of clothes for the kids. (This is after they paid for her college education). It would really disturb me to feel like a burden on my relatives like that. I'm not saying it's wrong, but I would have a hard time with it.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:20 AM

Some people truly believe being a SAHM is the best thing for the kids. Other people believe having as much money as you can is the best thing. I really don't know that there is any study out there that shows one is better than the other.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Ok, you must be in a bad mood today. Where did i say it was a bad thing? I simply said IT'S WHY SOME PEOPLE HAVE BOTH PEOPLE WORK RATHER THAN JUST MAKE ENDS MEET ON ONE INCOME.

Then there are people who can still do amazingly well on one income.
You have made the same kind of comments in previous threads. You criticize others for working when they don't have to, while giving yourself a pass because you need to. If that wasn't your point, what was it?

My mood has nothing to do with it.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:24 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
This question has been pondering my mind...
I'm picturing an anthropomorphised cartoon question mark sitting there like The Thinker, with a thought bubble above its head containing an image of your brain.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:27 AM

Default re

Quote:
You have made the same kind of comments in previous threads. You criticize others for working when they don't have to, while giving yourself a pass because you need to. If that wasn't your point, what was it?

My mood has nothing to do with it.
Ok so you're thinking of previous comments i've made.

I think i criticized a 26 year old female making 160k a year who came here asking what her day care options should be. It seemed like a strange post and I have every right to say how i feel here it seemed like she came here more to brag about how much she was making rather than truly get advice on a possible child she was thinking of having.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:29 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,209 times
College savings because in 18 years, college costs will be even higher. Also retirement savings, benefits and job marketability. And, time value of money (ie, putting $100K in the bank now will allow it to grow significantly, vs. waiting until husbands salary goes up and they can save more later).

Old 06-05-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Ok so you're thinking of previous comments i've made.

I think i criticized a 26 year old female making 160k a year who came here asking what her day care options should be. It seemed like a strange post and I have every right to say how i feel here it seemed like she came here more to brag about how much she was making rather than truly get advice on a possible child she was thinking of having.
I'm reading what you are saying here. I guess I don't understand what point you are trying to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting