Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 06:18 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times

Advertisements

I think younger kids and schools could benefit from more male teachers. I wouldn't want my sons teaching young kids because of the risks involved. Some of the other parents out there terrify me. I've seen too many parents (usually women) escalate situations where there wasn't a previous problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 06:44 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
with many blessings of support, by all means encourage him to pursue this career.

Sadly folks who have a talent to nurture and teach run the stigma of having an underlying motive.
Which in my eyes is to inspire kids!

Old 06-07-2017, 07:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
It's really sad, but yes, guys who try to be around little kids are suspect. Because men don't usually enjoy being around children unless its to benefit their own kids - like men who volunteer to coach soccer or lead boy scouts when their own kids are involved. We all get that motivation.

So our recreational soccer league allows men to coach or assistant coach, but they CAN NOT be alone with any of the kids if they don't have a kid on the team. If they are not a player's father, they're put into a different group of volunteers who are welcome but can't access the kids alone.

Same thing for boy scouts, but it's even more stringent - even if a dad has a kid in the troop, he still can't be alone with any kid besides his own son.

So yeah, I know men who really enjoy mentoring kids, but there is a risk that they will abuse them.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:52 PM

983 posts, read 737,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's really sad, but yes, guys who try to be around little kids are suspect. Because men don't usually enjoy being around children unless its to benefit their own kids - like men who volunteer to coach soccer or lead boy scouts when their own kids are involved. We all get that motivation.

So our recreational soccer league allows men to coach or assistant coach, but they CAN NOT be alone with any of the kids if they don't have a kid on the team. If they are not a player's father, they're put into a different group of volunteers who are welcome but can't access the kids alone.

Same thing for boy scouts, but it's even more stringent - even if a dad has a kid in the troop, he still can't be alone with any kid besides his own son.

So yeah, I know men who really enjoy mentoring kids, but there is a risk that they will abuse them.
Honestly, shouldn't that apply to women as well?

Old 06-07-2017, 08:38 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,675 times
I have a teen son and unfortunately with all the stories out there about molesters and predators I would never encourage him to go into teaching very young children. When I taught at one school my principal (a man with great wisdom) always had a rule that he was never alone with a student without another adult present or a door open. He explained that in all his years of teaching and being an administrator he had witnessed a few occasions where a student made a false accusation against a male teacher out of spite. Even though the teacher was vindicated his career was still ruined as once those allegations are made you are forever under a cloud of suspicion. I also don't allow my teen son to babysit since again any miscommunication or action could hurt him even if he's innocent. It's sad but it's the world we live in.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:56 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
I believe that all preschools (and many elementary schools) have a rule that no teacher should ever be alone with a child. In a classroom of course, teachers are with many children, not one. In situations where a student needs to talk to a teacher alone to report something, usually teachers bring in a counselor or other adult.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:55 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I think younger kids and schools could benefit from more male teachers. I wouldn't want my sons teaching young kids because of the risks involved. Some of the other parents out there terrify me. I've seen too many parents (usually women) escalate situations where there wasn't a previous problem.
Extremely true!
I used to teach in High Schools only, tons of men on campus and alot of parents who realized at that point their kids weren't angels and some were at the point of no return. Never had write up issues or anything like that.
Now working with the younger grades the last several years which is loaded with female teachers and overbearing parent involvement, I have had to really watch what I say and do as it seems like every staff member is always on heightened sensitivity alert and looking to complain. Its bad b/c in a sense my personality has been neutered at work.

The kids at the early levels definitely need to see more guys. unfortunately I have to admit, many of the guys I work with in elementary schools are either a bit effeminate or old and fat, or just feature weird personalities. Maybe 1% are the type you want to get a beer with.

To the OP, your son can do what he wants, but understand that elementary is dangerous ground. Especially for grades 3 and below

Old 06-07-2017, 11:21 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
It really depends on how mature he is and does he always make appropriate choices. I used to babysit for a neighbor kid and he was ALWAYS weird. When he told me years later that he was going into education, I knew it was a terrible idea. Sure enough, he was quickly arrested for rubbing a child's back, he's been arrested numerous times and it's so crazy. He's never going to be able to teach but he still cons jobs as a tutor on CL and more arrests. I truly don't think he's a predator, I think he's unaware of appropriate behavior.
There was a guy that was in several of my elementary education classes that was really weird. I don't know if he was able to find a job after graduation, but I'd be surprised if he did. He always said the weirdest things,and looked as if he hadn't bathed in years. I honestly think he was on drugs. I don't know how he was able to continue on through the program without any professors raising a red flag.

There were a few other guys in my classes, and they were all awesome. A few in particular I would be ecstatic if they were my child's teacher. Two of my favorite professors were also men. One was a former 1st grade teacher and the other was a current elementary school teacher that taught college during the summer.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:23 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
My kid goes to one of the top private schools.
One of the pre-k teachers is male.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:37 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,020,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
There was a guy that was in several of my elementary education classes that was really weird. I don't know if he was able to find a job after graduation, but I'd be surprised if he did. He always said the weirdest things,and looked as if he hadn't bathed in years. I honestly think he was on drugs. I don't know how he was able to continue on through the program without any professors raising a red flag.

There were a few other guys in my classes, and they were all awesome. A few in particular I would be ecstatic if they were my child's teacher. Two of my favorite professors were also men. One was a former 1st grade teacher and the other was a current elementary school teacher that taught college during the summer.
Even after the arrests, he got his Ph.D. I don't know why any school would accept him or why his parents would encourage it. If you google him, it's pages of arrests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting