Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 12:58 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times

Advertisements

I think the Gaines kids look partly Asian, especially around the eyes.

I am half Japanese, but it's usually not easily picked up by others. My brother looks clearly half-half, my sister is strongly Asian (people don't pick up she's half white). Me, I'm an oddity where I take after my father, but I don't look like his family-- they always have said I have strong Indian features (Cherokee, my grandmother was half-- but her kids pretty much turned out white). My 3 kids do not have any of the Asian coloring, all dirty blonde, one gray eyed, the other 2 have Hazel green eyes. However, looking at my 2nd child, she very much looks like my Japanese family.

Genetics definitely is fascinating. The former Princess of Denmark, Alexandra Manley is only 1/4 Asian, but looks almost full. Her sisters OTOH, you wouldn't guess as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 01:01 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,396,474 times
My husband is Asian. My kids are half. They look like dark haired, tan white kids honestly. One looks a little more Asian than the others but not much. I am dark blond though, so people only ever comment on how their dad must have dark hair. If they know their last name, they can figure it out.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:05 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
I can only comment on my own children, which are bi-racial. I am of Irish decent, with light brown hair with red mixed in, a red beard, light freckled skin, and light brown/hazel eyes. My wife is from the Dominican Republic, which her ancestry is Spanish/African. (DR is a very unique country, as they are a product of generations of mixed race people, creating a true melting pot genetically). My wife has curly black hair, medium dark skin, and dark brown eyes. (If you watch baseball, Sammy Sosa is a perfect example of how most Dominicans look). My oldest child has an olive/Mediterranean skin tone with dark brown eyes, straight black hair(people say he looks Italian). My second child has light brown wavy hair, light freckled skin, and light brown eyes. My third is a redhead, with curly hair, pale white freckled skin, and light brown eyes. My fourth looks like my first, same skin tone, same hair, same eyes.

So in our case, the genes mixed differently from child to child. They all however have the same exact nose, and eye structures. You can tell right away that they are siblings. Most people when they see us together, comment about the different skin tones and hair types our children have.
It kind of reminds me of my new DILs Puerto Rico heritage. Her father and two brothers are dark and Latin looking, and her mother, whose people are from Spain, is blond. She is fair, but has brown hair. My son is very Scandinavian looking, so I pray every day that they have some kids soon, because I can't wait to see how gorgeous they'll be.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:43 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Upon observing these two families only, all the siblings are consistent looking. All the Gaines look Caucasian and all the Gosselins look Asian. Genes do not combine "any which way" they combine in a scientific manner.

I suppose the same traits can be followed in any ethnicity that can be noticeable, not just Asian. Like they no doubt are just as true for children who are Swedish, and Norwegian, but we couldn't see it as easily.
That was my point; you're drawing your conclusions from only two families. And yes, the genes combine in a scientific manner, which should lead you to the conclusion that kids with only 1/4 Asian parentage wouldn't necessarily be expected to look Asian, or show any Asian features at all. We all studied basic genetics in highschool biology, right?

But there's another surprise element that could be involved. Quite a few Asian populations, including some Koreans, have hidden Caucasian genes from back when early Indo-Europeans migrated across Asia, and settled in a number of places, founding civilizations in some locales. They reached as far as Korea and Tibetan nomad areas, as the rare red-haired Koreans, Tibetans and Siberians demonstrate. So even if someone appears to be 100% Asian, you can't be sure. Those long-forgotten Cauc genes could randomly combine with those of a Cauc spouse to produce fully Cauc-looking kids. That's what I meant by "every which way". You never know for sure what the genetic lottery might do, within certain parameters.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:10 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Default It's complicated ...

Rare biracial twins surprise black dad, white mom - TODAY.com

First identical twins with different skin colour born in the UK* | Daily Mail Online

Old 06-09-2017, 03:24 PM

8,071 posts, read 7,432,678 times
I think that generally, children look more like their father than their mother. I believe that was determined by evolution, because it's easy to know who the mother is but not always so easy to know who the father is. If there's doubt, the kid will look like his/her father.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:04 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
My son is half-filipino. He is annoying as hell just like his mother.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:29 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
It kind of reminds me of my new DILs Puerto Rico heritage. Her father and two brothers are dark and Latin looking, and her mother, whose people are from Spain, is blond. She is fair, but has brown hair. My son is very Scandinavian looking, so I pray every day that they have some kids soon, because I can't wait to see how gorgeous they'll be.
I'm half Puerto Rican, with my Dad being Puerto Rican. Most people guess me to be either Italian or Greek (which is not far off from my mother's ancestry). I'm also the lightest one in my family. They used to tell me I'm sheet white LOL. In reality, I'm medium-complected. One of my brothers is a lot darker skinned. Hispanic people come up to him and speak Spanish to him. When Hispanic people see me, the vast majority just speak English to me. I'm always surprised to come across that rare Hispanic person who asks if I speak Spanish.

Back to your OP. If you watch that TLC show, Long Lost Family, Lisa Joyner is half Asian. I wouldn't have guessed it if she didn't mention it on the show.

Then there are people like retired football player, Hines Ward. His mother is Korean and his father is black. If you look closely at him, you can see some Asian features in his face.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:54 PM

731 posts, read 678,427 times
I am a livestock breeder- horses and cattle. Some sires and dams "stamp their get" that is, the dominant genes, the genotype, influence the phenotype , that is, what you see.I think the oriental/white cross is a very good one. The average IQ of orientals is l08, and that of caucasians is l00. See https://iq-research.info/en/page/average-iq-by-country

In addition, with this racial cross you get hybrid heterosis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterosis

Also, the offspring of this cross are often pleasant to look upon . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2884917/
The double eyelid operation, or creation of a supratarsal crease, is the most common cosmetic procedure requested in Asia and the third most common procedure requested by Asian Americans. They want to have visible eyelids.

In addition, the offspring tend to be taller and have the upturned noses desired by caucasian females.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:13 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Upon observing these two families only, all the siblings are consistent looking. All the Gaines look Caucasian and all the Gosselins look Asian. Genes do not combine "any which way" they combine in a scientific manner.

I suppose the same traits can be followed in any ethnicity that can be noticeable, not just Asian. Like they no doubt are just as true for children who are Swedish, and Norwegian, but we couldn't see it as easily.
The Gosselin children do not all look "Asian" and some look much more Asian than others. You could definitely tell that they are not 100% Asian, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting