Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 07:19 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times

Advertisements

How do your girls handle summer and menstruation? My daughter is 10 and this is her first year menstruating during the summer. Last summer she was in her bathing suit and in water every single day. In fact, for the last couple weeks she has been.He best friend and the other kids she plays with haven't started yet.

When I was a kid, we didn't play with water that much. I can't use tampons so I just opted out of water play when it was my time (still do).

With her age, I cant imagine her using tampons...and since I have never used them, I don't even know if I could teach her.

So I was wondering what other young girls do in the summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 07:26 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
My daughter and her friends (most of them are 14) skip the pool during those weeks. It can get difficult, since they're all on different cycles... Maybe they will all decide to try tampons this year. Last summer, they weren't interested and just found something else to do. It's hard because your daughter is 10, though... many of her friends are likely not in the same situation. You might need to take more of the initiative in suggesting alternate activities (whereas teens tend to handle that on their own).

Old 06-12-2017, 07:28 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
I used "junior" Tampax. In those days, they came in a cardboard applicator. It was hard getting one in the first time, as I recall, but it didn't take long before I learned how to use them. I just followed the directions. My mom didn't use them, either.

Hint: have plenty of time the first time and make sure the applicator is angled correctly. It will just "slide in" with the correct angle. I was trying to insert it too low and that was uncomfortable. If you can feel it, it's not where it's supposed to be!

Today, tampons come in plastic applicators and are even easier to use. You could buy her a pack of assorted sizes and see how she does. They may still make the junior size.

I admit that I didn't like the idea at first, but I didn't like the idea of staying out of the water, so I talked myself into it. After maybe using 4 - 5 tampons, I got it down and never used pads again until I was in my 40s and had other problems that made going back to pads a better choice.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:33 AM

986 posts, read 1,866,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I used "junior" Tampax. In those days, they came in a cardboard applicator. It was hard getting one in the first time, as I recall, but it didn't take long before I learned how to use them. I just followed the directions. My mom didn't use them, either.

Hint: have plenty of time the first time and make sure the applicator is angled correctly. It will just "slide in" with the correct angle. I was trying to insert it too low and that was uncomfortable. If you can feel it, it's not where it's supposed to be!

Today, tampons come in plastic applicators and are even easier to use. You could buy her a pack of assorted sizes and see how she does. They may still make the junior size.

I admit that I didn't like the idea at first, but I didn't like the idea of staying out of the water, so I talked myself into it. After maybe using 4 - 5 tampons, I got it down and never used pads again until I was in my 40s and had other problems that made going back to pads a better choice.
This. Have her use tampons. Buy the smallest ones they make. I learned how to use tampons early on when I first got my period, not by having my mom show me (I would have been freaked out by this) but by her giving me the tampon box and the instruction sheet and having me figure it out.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:43 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Yes, the instruction sheet was really clear back then. I imagine they haven't changed it a lot.

I am NOT going to suggest youtube. (LOL!)

Old 06-12-2017, 07:56 AM

986 posts, read 1,866,317 times
The ones with the applicators are super easy to use. Without the applicator is a bit harder. Regardless, a 10 year old should be able to understand the instructions and use. I know personally speaking the first few times were kind of hard, but then I got the gist of it.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:16 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Tampons. My kids are both allergic to most tampons, so we buy cotton tampons. I'd like it if they learned to use menstrual cups instead, but you have to be pretty comfortable with your anatomy for that.

Tell your daughter not to flush tampons. The box says they're flushable but it's a lie. I keep little plastic bags in the bathroom for the kids to use.

Also, she may not have a regular cycle the first year, so maybe she'll get through the summer without another period.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:22 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
I was wondering about this too. My oldest is 11 and has not started her period yet, but I was thinking about it because she goes to summer camp where they swim twice per day. I know that some of my daughter's friends have gotten their periods already, so I was wondering what they do about swimming if they are in camp. Luckily, I think my daughter still has a few years to wait before we have to worry about this ourselves.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:09 AM

14,311 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Introduce her to tampons. She is not too young and she will thank you for it later.

I was in gymnastics when I was a young teen (I didn't start until age 13 though), so I had no choice but to use tampons. Skipping a week of practice or missing meets was not really an option. Th same with my friends who were on swim teams. They learned to use tampons.

My own girls started off just not going in the water when they had their period, but it soon became obvious to them that it was impossible to ever plan a pool or beach day with their friends, because when you have a group of 6 or 8 teenage girls, at least one of them is ALWAYS on her period, and that was no fun. Then we planned a family vacation to Hawaii. We would have exactly one week there, and since the whole point was to swim and snorkel, I got a box of slender tampons a couple of months ahead of time and told them to practice. They figured it out. And yes, one of my daughters did have her period in Hawaii and it did not slow her down at all.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:15 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
How do your girls handle summer and menstruation? My daughter is 10 and this is her first year menstruating during the summer. Last summer she was in her bathing suit and in water every single day. In fact, for the last couple weeks she has been.He best friend and the other kids she plays with haven't started yet.

When I was a kid, we didn't play with water that much. I can't use tampons so I just opted out of water play when it was my time (still do).

With her age, I cant imagine her using tampons...and since I have never used them, I don't even know if I could teach her.

So I was wondering what other young girls do in the summer?
As long as SHE doesn't mind, then there's not a problem - you as a mom might be more squikked out than she is - try not to pass that on to her. There should be no relationship between using them and any activity that might come later in her adolescence. How many girls are afraid they won't be vrgns any more if they use tampons!

She can use junior size to start or to practice with and there are good instructions in the package - the key is to aim toward the small of the back, not straight up or back. Also, to RELAX. Not using them is SEVERELY limiting for summer fun and if she ever wants to be on a swim team, or do other active stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting