Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 04:15 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times

Advertisements

Keep the name. It's got character. My kids used to have new students start all the time. One time, my son in kindergarten said he has a new classmate from Uganda with a very difficult name. He pronounced it perfectly and spelled it flawlessly. To me it sounded like it was all consonants. He didn't have one bit of a problem with it. Would you be opposed to giving him a nickname of Hans versus Jojo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 05:16 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
I think naming a child is a huge responsibility. it took the whole time i was in the hospital with my first son, for us to come up with a name. Having a name that is spelled differently myself, i did choose to give both of my kids names spelled the regular way. they are both boys. I think you can get away with more unique things for girls.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:53 PM

22 posts, read 48,750 times
I don't know if this has been brought up or if it is even a thought you would be interested in, but what about (first name) Johann, (middle initial, "J") and last name. Nickname JJ for short.
Just a thought.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:39 PM

775 posts, read 579,070 times
If you like the name, keep it. You could very well regret it later when you find out how many kids have different names. Don't be a wuss. Stand up for the name

Old 03-11-2008, 02:17 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain~mama View Post
Ok, so I read the whole thread on bad baby names. I need some advice. We named our second born a foreign-ish name (Johann), dad is German. First born is a normal American name. It seems that everyone mispronounces it, or has that look of wonderment when I introduce him. It drives me nuts. Before we brought him home, I thought of changing it, but dad said no. Nearly every month, I talked to him about changing it, he said give it 6 months. Well, 15 months later, I am still talking about it. Am I crazy?

Here's a compromise I can live with: Keep the name, but call him John. Would it be weird to suddenly call him John? He will enter a little preschool in August and I'm thinking of telling them to call him John. I don't want to force the whole renaming thing, but I feel like we made a mistake when we named him, and now it feels a little forced to make people call him another name. I'm really torn about the whole thing. Any advice??
What is the German equivalent of Johann (is it John)? That way his name is the same but in a different language. I see nothing wrong with that if that's what you want.

BTW, my little girls names are "Jaline" (pronouced like Celine but with a J)and "Shealin" (pronouced SHAY-lin). Almost everyone pronouces it wrong... even my own family members. But I'm not changing it to make it easier for everyone else... they are just going to have to put the effort in to say their names right.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:33 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
Just start calling him Han. Everybody knows how to pronounce Han.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:36 PM

22 posts, read 82,236 times
I love the name Johann, and knew a guy in high school with the name. All the girls swooned over him. That could be a positive or a negative about the name .

Old 03-11-2008, 02:55 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
I love it too...I think it sounds very masculine! Keep it...

Old 03-11-2008, 03:19 PM

515 posts, read 1,557,995 times
I also LOVE out-of-the-ordinary names. I have a Clinton, Devon (girl), Jericha (caught a loooooooot of flack from the famly over that one), Tyler and Joseph. Hmmm... I seemed to get a little less unusual with each one...

Anyway, if you're already calling him Jojo, why not make it just plain Joe? Seems pretty natural, and is my youngest son's preferred nickname as well!

I agree, though, don't let someone else make the decision for you. It seems that you're really uncomfortable with the name Johann, though, so why not find a reasonable way to make it what you want it, without changing who he is?

Just my two cents!

~D

Old 03-11-2008, 08:55 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
You keep that wonderful name! I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting