Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:53 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,121,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagapa View Post
I'm basing it on the FAMOUS composer, Johann Sebastian Bach not on what people are naming their babies recently.

Sadly, I see that my expectations are too high...sigh

The point is they were being rude to the OP. Unfortunately, their rudeness was based on their lack of education and manners. It's not judging someone's worth based on what they "should" know.

I don't care if somebody mentioned the South several times in this thread, I never did and you chose to attack me about it. I made a generalized statement about the entire US. You obviously have a chip on your shoulder.
I didn't attack you. I said you are rude. Funny how it's okay for you to state your opinion that a large segment of people are worthless because they didn't equate someone's given name with an organist that existed about 4 centuries ago. Have you personally met all of these people that you are dismissing? Did someone give you a list in assessing worth?
The interesting thing is that I've met backwoods farmers that couldn't tell you one composer from another and yet were absolutely brilliant at predicting the weather or had an astounding knowledge of astronomy without formal study. Kind, generous and overall worthwhile people that work their fingers to the bone for their family and their community. To go a step further, I would dare to say that there are people in the world that have never heard of Bach and yet have contributed far more than he ever did to society.
Also, children today are much more likely to study Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin and Mendelssohn than they are to know very much about Bach, much less equate his first name as a namesake. Can you think of Chopin or Mendelssohn's first name without a google search?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 11:22 AM

5 posts, read 7,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I didn't attack you. I said you are rude. Funny how it's okay for you to state your opinion that a large segment of people are worthless because they didn't equate someone's given name with an organist that existed about 4 centuries ago. Have you personally met all of these people that you are dismissing? Did someone give you a list in assessing worth?
The interesting thing is that I've met backwoods farmers that couldn't tell you one composer from another and yet were absolutely brilliant at predicting the weather or had an astounding knowledge of astronomy without formal study. Kind, generous and overall worthwhile people that work their fingers to the bone for their family and their community. To go a step further, I would dare to say that there are people in the world that have never heard of Bach and yet have contributed far more than he ever did to society.
Also, children today are much more likely to study Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin and Mendelssohn than they are to know very much about Bach, much less equate his first name as a namesake. Can you think of Chopin or Mendelssohn's first name without a google search?
When did I use the word worthless?? Oh yeah, never, You, however, have used it quite often. Perhaps you are projecting your own feelings onto me.

Haha, the jokes on you. I do know their first names. Sorry

But what's more important is that your example doesn't makes any sense. The OP said that it is not children that she is having a problem with it's adults. So who cares that children are not studying Bach today (which is in fact not true anyway). We are talking about adults. Are you lost?

Seeing as how you are putting words in my mouth and can't come up with any constructive argument that makes sense I will not waste my time with this any further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting