Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 09:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Thought i was a loving parent who went out of my way to bring up a lovely daughter,never any physical or verbal abuse,gave her everything she ever wanted,the best of schools and all the soccer and skating activities,she moved to her own apartment 3 years ago and really has no interest in maintaining a relationship with her parents ,its as if i didnt call her once in a while we'd never hear from her again,its like she doesnt want to know us. in the 3 years shes never once invited us over to her place and only comes to visit us on the big holiday meal events (Christmas/Thanksgiving)or if she needs to borrow a car. Im Wondering where i went wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 09:42 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/paren...l-parents.html

How could any of us possibly know "where you went wrong" or if you even did?

Do you invite her over for meals or visits or do you expect her to just drop by?

ETA I was reminded by the other thread that she works a night shift. What has changed since your last thread? Have you invited her over? Do you take her odd work schedule into account when you schedule things? Do you ask what would work for HER?

Old 06-17-2017, 09:46 AM

350 posts, read 477,744 times
This is very typical for the early years after leaving home.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:52 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
Sounds like me when I was in my early 20's and just moved out on my own.
I was selfish, young, self involved, sowing my oats, invincible, testing the waters, traveling, partying, parents were the last thing on my mind.
Parents gave me my space, checked on me a few times a month, called me, kept tabs on me from afar.
Just let your child know you are there for them, and not to forget where they come from.
It will pass.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:53 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
She's learning to be independent. You do talk to her and she is there for holidays, so you have not lost contact and she hasn't abandoned you.

Adults socialize with their friends, not their parents. It sounds to me like you are getting a fairly normal amount of attention from your adult child.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:15 AM

461 posts, read 509,213 times
This is the same way I was when I first moved out and my daughter as well. Just like Gilah above stated. She just needs her space to be an adult. She will come back in her time. In the meantime I would just text her every so often(not everyday) to let her know that you are thinking of her. Don't push or be overbearing this will drive her away. Remember her schedule as that could part of it as well. When my daughter did this I was hurt like you. But now I realize that this is just her finding her way and trying to be grown up. Now she texts me almost everyday( we live in different states) but I don't push it. Don't fret mama, you did a good job and now she is independent!

Old 06-17-2017, 11:29 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhorsewoman View Post
this is very typical for the early years after leaving home.
+1.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:46 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
I think this post says it all as to why the daughter doesn't go out of her way to spend time with the parents. The whininess, neediness and entitlement is overwhelming. Who wants to spend time with all that?

Old 06-17-2017, 11:49 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Sometimes our children need space and sometimes they need a kick in the butt. It is so hard to know which one is needed. Make a life for yourself and invite her when you want to and chill beyond that. I went through the same thing with my daughter and now my son and his wife are treating us as if we have the plague. It is really not a bad thing when our children are able to function on their own. We won't always be here.

My granddaughter just graduated from college. My daughter is suddenly becoming more attentive and acting like she is the adult and I am the child. Life is complicated.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:05 PM

581 posts, read 456,448 times
I wouldn't sweat it. Kids in their early 20s are all about being independent and spending time with their friends. It's a phase, she'll come around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting