Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 10:45 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,467 times

Advertisements

No, she was a really easy child, I liked her fine until she hit teen years, then turned into a partying promiscuous high school dropout. That continued until she was in her late twenties when she manipulated her now-husband into marrying her by getting pregnant while lying to him about taking birth control.

That said, none of my children got any love; I was an emotionally inept Mother. Hardly a healthy upbringing for them, in the emotional department.
But she is the only one who displayed such disgusting behaviors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 09:41 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,298,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I've seen a few kids that were not particularly likeable. As I found out later, these kids each had a parent that probably should not have been allowed to parent.
I think this is likely very true. I know of a family, where the mother is certified nuts, and refuses to do anything about it. Never hit the only child (Daughter) but was abusive toward her to no end, telling her she was worthless, not loving her, and encouraging harmful behavior (consistently) so she (mom) could be the savior. Child has Cystic Fibrosis, and mom always told her she couldn't do things. Anytime the child made progress, mom would pull her back. She was an A-student, mom pulled her out of multiple schools, and now she is a troubled teen. I watched it tear dad apart. Everything tried to do to overcome it, she just lied, cheated, and controlled. By the time he was able to get Child Protective Services to listen, child was 17, and there was little that could be done. Mom continued to undermine dad, and tell child she didn't have to listen to him once she was 18, blah blah blah.

Child turned 18, and does nothing but smoke weed and cigarettes (SHE HAS CF!!!!) and have random sex, the only money she has to do these things comes from her mom, who says "don't tell me what you're doing with it, I don't want to know". Dad tries to keep her in his life, but she won't stay with him because mom will let her smoke and do other things, and dad acts like a parent. He's still involved, but very much hamstrung.

Kid is now a fairly obnoxious teenager, who is proud to brag about how she manipulates people to take advantage of them, that she doesn't have to work, and that if anyone does try to make her, she'll just manipulate them, or threaten self-harm or suicide. She openly tells her parents she doesn't care that they will have to pay the medical bills for her bad decisions, it's "not her problem".

Yeah, I can understand how people don't like their own kids in some cases, and yeah, it usually could have been mitigated if one or both parents weren't allowed to screw them up.

It has been absolutely gut-wrenching to see the damage this has done to the dad. All he can do is step in and rescue her, which facilitates more of the same, or step back and watch her demise. Every time the kid makes progress, mom is there to undermine her, to feed needs created by her own issues which she won't address.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:06 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I mean, really just does not like them as people?

I have a friend who does not like her son very much at all. He is a bit of a troubled kid, really done some odd and dangerous things and for years I have suspected there might be some mental health issues. She has struggled with him as long as I have known her. She is always patient and kind to him when I see them interact, but she has admitted very guiltily to me that she doesn't like him and hopes that he grows up and "leaves (her) in peace." Her marriage ended because of this kid's behavior (ex husband did NOT want custody) and I think she is just miserable being around him. I am sure she loves this child because he is her child. I worry about her.

(This child has been evaluated in every possible way, but I don't know the diagnosis of any of his behavior. He strikes me as lacking empathy and being very manipulative, especially toward his mom.)

Sadly, I think this happens more than people talk about because its such a taboo topic. But just as kids often do not like their parents, parents could just as easily not like their children, though I am sure it is rarer. Do you know anyone like this?
OP, back in the days when every married couple was expected to have kids, when there was concerted societal pressure towards that, there were plenty of parents who didn't want their own kids, nor did they like them. I've run into the products of those situations, in their adulthood. Quite a few, as one might expect, have opted out of having kids.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:14 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Yes I know parents who don't "like" their children.

Not all kids and not all people are likable. They are all someone's child. If the parent is truthful then they won't like the unlikable kids.

And on the flip side does every child like their parents? How about their siblings?

Last edited by ylisa7; 03-26-2018 at 05:56 PM..

Old 03-26-2018, 05:44 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,550,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1957 View Post
No, she was a really easy child, I liked her fine until she hit teen years, then turned into a partying promiscuous high school dropout. That continued until she was in her late twenties when she manipulated her now-husband into marrying her by getting pregnant while lying to him about taking birth control.

That said, none of my children got any love; I was an emotionally inept Mother. Hardly a healthy upbringing for them, in the emotional department.
But she is the only one who displayed such disgusting behaviors.

Perhaps searching for affection she wasn't given in formative years; it happens. Be thankful it was only one child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting