Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2017, 08:21 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Don't call it a diet. It's a healthy lifestyle.
Agreed. Diet is a negative word. Diets are punishing and hard and full of deprivation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouDweller View Post
according to Google, she should be 109
You shouldn't be focused on a number or "diets". The goal is to make a new lifestyle and instead of being obsessed with the weight, you should be telling her how much better you feel, how much easier doing things are, etc.
I mean, you do what you want but you are running the risk of it backfiring big time if you present it as punishment.
I would be like "I love you no matter what but I know you can't be happy with things and I can tell you from experience that it won't get easier. We are going to try something new and see what happens."

186 posts, read 131,716 times
don't follow a diet

Just act like a normal person

Shop only at health food stores

Shop only organic

Make lots of soups

Keep busy. Hike every night with the family

Buy bikes

Do not sit

Swim maybe.

We used to belong to the neighborhood pool

Get a physical job doing stuff if possible.

This stuff costs money so I don't expect you to be able to do it if you cannot

Family sports?

My concern. you talk like a fat lady. You need to talk like a thin person, do as a thin person does, and everyone else will follow by default. Fat people buy those weight watchers calculators. Forget about numbers, just be a normal person.

Place no emphasis on weight or exercise...nor use words fat people do. Don't use the words weight or exercise

No internet or TV until a long hike. Why? Because it is healthy. Don't mention loosing weight. No goals here, just fun

Drive to different trails. No one looses weight constantly talking about food.

Get other interests to replace the food addiction otherwise nothing will change

We had a few foster kids years ago who were morbidly obese.They lost weight, a lot of weight

I never used a scale so no numbers were ever brought up. So who knows but we bought different sizes of clothes a few times

I never praised them for their accomplishments, that would put focus on what I do not want. Being healthy is just the default, not an accomplishment (though nothing wrong with feeling proud of yourself inside)

Ok I've been pushy enough and will leave the thread.

I am proud of you for caring about your daughter

Blessings to you all

Old 06-25-2017, 08:23 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
5'5 195
109 is ridiculous. But yeah 195 is bad. I am 5'5" and at 117 my bones were showing in my chest. Please do not make 109 the standard.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:23 PM

70 posts, read 54,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingoQueen View Post
don't follow a diet

Just act like a normal person

Shop only at health food stores

Shop only organic

Make lots of soups

Keep busy. Hike every night with the family

Buy bikes

Do not sit

Swim maybe.

We used to belong to the neighborhood pool

Get a physical job doing stuff if possible.

This stuff costs money so I don't expect you to be able to do it if you cannot

Family sports?

My concern. you talk like a fat lady. You need to talk like a thin person, do as a thin person does, and everyone else will follow by default. Place no emphasis on weight or use words fat people do. Just keep constantly busy. No internet until a long hike. No one looses weight constantly talking about food.

They get other interests to replace their addiction otherwise nothing will change.

Ok I've been pushy enough and will leave the thread. I am proud of you for caring about your daughter

Blessings to you all

I don't feel that you've been pushy at all for the record. Appreciate your input.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
109 is ridiculous. But yeah 195 is bad. I am 5'5" and at 117 my bones were showing in my chest. Please do not make 109 the standard.

32 BMI sadly, doing my best to not have her hit 200

Old 06-25-2017, 08:27 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
Quote:
5'5 195
Where did you see 109? I see ranges of 114-155.
I think you might have some personal problems and should seek help for yourself first. I'm concerned for you that you are writing 109 when it's not even the correct answer. You want her to go from obese to anorexic. You're liable to give this girl psychological problems for life.
I quit.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:27 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,165,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Don't call it a diet. It's a healthy lifestyle.
I second this. When I lost weight it was because I changed my entire lifestyle. It has to be about getting and staying healthy overall.

I really think your family as a whole should seek professional help. This problem seems to be about much more then over eating. Being almost 100 pounds overweight is not needing to just diet. It is most likely a symptom of a larger problem.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Where did you see 109? I see ranges of 114-155.
I think you might have some personal problems and should seek help for yourself first. I'm concerned for you that you are writing 109 when it's not even the correct answer. You want her to go from obese to anorexic. You're liable to give this girl psychological problems for life.
I quit.

was just the first number I saw when I googled average weight of a 14 year old girl, had no plans to really hold her to 109

Old 06-25-2017, 08:34 PM

186 posts, read 131,716 times
We just had wild alaskan salmon for dinner. Marinated with lemon juice
Husband made white rice (I know there is healthier rice out there)
drank our vegetables- juiced them. 1 carrots, 1 celery, two kale leaves, purple cabbage (excellent to digest food so easier to loose weight)
I don't like the taste of vegetables so plug my nose and drink them. My parents were very obese so I went the opposite direction and developed osteoporosis from an eating disorder (anorexia) by the time I was in my twenties.

And old man in his late sixties rode up on a bicycle asking me to ride. I could ride two blocks but LOVED IT. So had to get healthy by default in order to ride down those hardcore trails. He was in GREAT shape. Thank God for him. I then ate right, by default so did hubby. Then he started cycling when the bike shop guys would show up and we'd ride. Jealousy probably but it worked Gotta replace it with something they like. If I'd try to eat (akin to someone trying not to eat) I would have great difficulty. But the disorder just disappeared on it's own.

There is a really fat lady here who rides bikes. She is perfectly healthy, all her stats she says. I believe her. She rides daily for 2 hrs or so up many hills. She probably eats a lot but she is still ok

Again Good luck to you. We are going cycling now because I have a major health issue that requires vigorous exercise to control. Odd yes, and I am hoping it works that way or I will need to see a doctor or ER within the next few days for another anemia test because I cannot seem to stop bleeding. Problem is I broke my ankle so I quit riding but gotta get back to it or will end up with a blood transfusion soon. I am loosing so much blood I can barely leave the house longer than an hour. Had to miss work. First Doc said maybe it's menopause. Pap smear was fine. Dunno. But Know from experience that hardcore exercise can stop having a cycle. So I am trying that. Take Good care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting