Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 09:11 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
the best thing you can do for children is introduce them to vegetables and meats at a young age, stop the daily specials ,and make them weekly.

start with your self, and every one must eat the same meal at Dinner time. Cut the white carbs, and everything processed. whole wheat pasta, brown rice, toast and rolls, are all very easy to get used to. Cut out the sugar and soda, go diet if you must, but just once a day.

If you just get your daughter involved in preparing and purchasing the groceries, like a mature person, she may want to get involved, to show she can. Show her how to be independent , show her there is a big world in veggies,squashes, beans, meats, cheeses. processed foods and chips are kiddie food for children, not for young adults.

Some things to try,
- instead of sandwiches, make a chefs salad
- instead of box pizza, make it at home on whole wheat pita
- instead of ice cream, go for yogurt or fruit bars
- instead of soda, go for tea bags in ice water, with sweet n low as a sweetener.
- instead of fries, roast baby potatoes

let her learn, and try to experiment. slow baking meats in an oven, filled with veggies, once she makes some mouth watering dishes, she will want to re consider her bad eating habits. Compliment her when she gets is going.

get her into dancing, normal dancing, freestyle. maybe you guys can take the obligatory daily 2 mile walk, just 35 minutes?
maybe you can put up some full length mirrors around the home? get some light weight kettle bells around the home, and start doing some work out for your self, not to show off to her , no big show, just between cooking times.

No pressure when she does it, but try to get her to set a schedule/calendar . just 25-45 minutes a day. Always suggest when you speak to her, never order. She will eventually feel responsible and confident, and care about looks and health.
Please people stop playing nutritionist. You have no idea what if any medical issues this child has, for some people whole wheat is not healthy. A nutritionist would know this and make recommendations based on what will help this particular child. For example, a chef salad is no better than a sandwich and is in fact likely to have more sodium and calories than either a turkey or ham sandwich.

Additionally, no one should be encouraging children to use artificial sweetners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 09:14 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
What you experienced was basically withdrawal and your insulin adjusting itself. That goes away with time.
That maybe true, but no child should be on a low carb diet, especially when their efficacy isn't even proven for adults.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:01 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Please people stop playing nutritionist. You have no idea what if any medical issues this child has, for some people whole wheat is not healthy. A nutritionist would know this and make recommendations based on what will help this particular child.
Best post.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:58 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Please people stop playing nutritionist. You have no idea what if any medical issues this child has, for some people whole wheat is not healthy. A nutritionist would know this and make recommendations based on what will help this particular child. For example, a chef salad is no better than a sandwich and is in fact likely to have more sodium and calories than either a turkey or ham sandwich.

Additionally, no one should be encouraging children to use artificial sweetners.
Thank you. Why is anyone making recommendations for a child like they would make for someone who is 35 or 70? A child has different dietary needs than a thirtysomething or a seventysomething. The only people who should be making recommendations at this point are a dietician/nutritionist, preferably after running tests to see if there are any underlying issues that need to be considered like diabetes, PCOS, etc. Making a chef salad and then loading on ranch dressing isn't going to help anything, but there might be a nutritional salad that could work with the child's specific dietary needs. We just don't know what they are.

Additionally, the child might simply not be that interested in walking (and if they are in LA, it may be super hot right now anyway). There could be something active that is interesting to the child, but it's just a matter of finding it. It might not be a team sport, but it could be something she could do independently or something that doesn't require a lot of impact, but would still increase the fitness level like swimming or biking. Something like dancing, that she could do with her friends, might also be a lot of fun. That's something you can step up in terms of intensity as you get better and increase your fitness level.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:39 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
That is why it is so very important to establish healthy, structured and disciplined eating-habits when kids are very young. Once kids get used to bad-habits, eating junk all the time....it is hard to "make" them change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would have guessed that she is already wearing pls sizes but it appears with your question you want to
shame her now at 14 instead of accepting responsiiblity for not teaching her when she was young.
My daughter was very slender as a young child when I was the one deciding what she was eating and the portions. I provided well balanced meals. Once she could find food, open the refrigerator when I slept, and I was no longer with her 24/7, was when she adopted her own eating habits and became much larger.

Stop blaming the parents.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:23 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
Quote:

I understand the sentiment, there's been so much bad advice on this thread that the OP (who clearly left the building when people starting making fun of her and daughter) wouldn't be able to tell the good advice from the bad. And there has been a lot of just really bad advice.

Have we reached the point where someone has to rely on a professional nutritionist to understand the basics of healthy eating? Maybe if you're wealthy you can pay professionals to tell you when to eat, what to eat, how to exercise, where to put your furniture, and what plants to put in your yard, but most people need to figure all that stuff out for themselves.

If the OP is able to seek professional help, that's great, but let's not treat this like a medical emergency. It's a chronic problem, not an acute one. The OPs daughter is ignoring even her simple requests to be healthy, I don't think a professional nutritionist would be a good use of money. Perhaps for the OP, but not for her daughter. Only once her daughter has bought in to the idea of eating more healthfully, the exact details of what to eat are less important.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:33 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
So much high-calorie junk......I see parents buying their kids these HUGE Starbucks milkshake-concoctions.

And sadly, a lot of the junkfood is already showing on the kids body's......bloated and fat.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:14 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
So much high-calorie junk......I see parents buying their kids these HUGE Starbucks milkshake-concoctions.

And sadly, a lot of the junkfood is already showing on the kids body's......bloated and fat.
hmm...milkshakes. We were only allowed to have milkshakes on rare occasions. Usually with lunch at the concession stand by the club pool we'd be taken to swim at now and then in the summers. Milkshakes were not a regular thing. We weren't allowed to have soda pop, ever.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:52 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouDweller View Post
Very frustrating. My 14 year old daughter is nearing 200 pounds, is going to enter high school in the fall and as of now, does not fit into the school uniform( khaki pants, button down shirt, sweater vest). My son put on 30 pounds this past school year, his freshman year of college. My husband and I are trying everything but they refuse to diet with us or work out, they don't seem to care. For instance, when my daughter goes out with friends, I KNOW she'll ignore what her dad & I say, eat junk.

Our discussions with them are jokes to them and its funny to them that the other has a weight issue. They don't seem to connect that the reason they're winded so easily and why they hate stairs, is connected with weight.

My daughter is definitely the harder to deal with.
Weird. Does your daughter have money of her own? If not, how exactly is she getting her hands on all this junk food?

Old 07-04-2017, 10:59 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouDweller View Post
we'll fight & then, it's easier to just let them eat junk
If they do drugs, is it easier to just let them do drugs, otherwise you'd have to fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting