Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2017, 09:58 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I completely agree. One of my biggest issues with this is parents that still order food for kids. An 8 year old should be able to look at a server and tell them what they want to eat. My kids know if they do not order, they do not eat. I am not doing it for them. But starting this at a young age, allows them to build necessary skills in order to talk to people.
We do that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 10:04 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Quote:
I completely agree. One of my biggest issues with this is parents that still order food for kids. An 8 year old should be able to look at a server and tell them what they want to eat. My kids know if they do not order, they do not eat. I am not doing it for them. But starting this at a young age, allows them to build necessary skills in order to talk to people.
Definitely something to be started young. I get my 6 year old to buy things from the shop herself (give her the money, or she brings money from her piggy bank) and either wait behind her in the queue or more recently I wait outside the shop (small corner shop). Next time we go to a restaurant I'll get her to order for herself as she hasn't done that yet.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
I think too many parents today try to live their kids lives for them or are afraid of everything. Our, now 10 year old great granddaughter has been ordering her own meals for a couple of years; sometimes off the kids menu and other times a regular menu. she even knows when to ask them to hold something, like, say onions or maybe will ask for extra cheese, whatever.

too many parents think the entire world out there is bad and their kids are going to get hurt or get in trouble if they let go for even a second.

I will add, I do think that leaving a 6 year old alone for hours, whether you live in a foreign country, a small American town or a metro area is too young. But that is just my opinion.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:01 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I think a neighbor's mail is different than going 3 blocks to the store, which is what the OP asked about. I used to go down the street 4 houses to the mail box when the kids were very young. I didn't consider that "leaving them alone."
If you aren't there, you are leaving them alone. And if you had a Dennis The Menace type kid....yikes.

Because depending on where you live, four houses could be a 1/2 mile....

Old 06-28-2017, 11:43 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
If you aren't there, you are leaving them alone. And if you had a Dennis The Menace type kid....yikes.

Because depending on where you live, four houses could be a 1/2 mile....
I don't, and it was maybe 400 feet.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:50 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Definitely something to be started young. I get my 6 year old to buy things from the shop herself (give her the money, or she brings money from her piggy bank) and either wait behind her in the queue or more recently I wait outside the shop (small corner shop). Next time we go to a restaurant I'll get her to order for herself as she hasn't done that yet.
Definitely start allowing her to do so. My 6 year old has been ordering his own food for a good two years, right down to how he would like his meat cooked.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:53 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think too many parents today try to live their kids lives for them or are afraid of everything. Our, now 10 year old great granddaughter has been ordering her own meals for a couple of years; sometimes off the kids menu and other times a regular menu. she even knows when to ask them to hold something, like, say onions or maybe will ask for extra cheese, whatever.

too many parents think the entire world out there is bad and their kids are going to get hurt or get in trouble if they let go for even a second.

I will add, I do think that leaving a 6 year old alone for hours, whether you live in a foreign country, a small American town or a metro area is too young. But that is just my opinion.
I agree. I allowed short period of time when my oldest was 8. If I leave my 6 year old home for hours, my teenager is also home and supervising.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:21 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Hours is too long for a 6 year old but an hour or two isn't that much, especially with about half being taken up by the walk home. I could sit her in front of cartoons now and probably leave for hours without her moving an inch!

Old 06-28-2017, 02:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Hours is too long for a 6 year old but an hour or two isn't that much, especially with about half being taken up by the walk home. I could sit her in front of cartoons now and probably leave for hours without her moving an inch!
How far is she walking?

Old 06-28-2017, 04:27 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
When those in my school were age 5, in Kindergarten, most of us walked to school, either alone or with a few others. A couple of kids from wealthy families were driven by their mothers. The rest of us felt sorry for them, as we knew what their were missing. The nicest and brightest girl in my class came up to me and said she wanted us to walk home together. Now that was a delightful and hallmark event in my young life.

Most of us by that age, would take off from home, when school was not in session and go places and do things together, about which our parents knew nothing. That was what made our lives so interesting and formative, by being able to manage our own activities. We learned how to stay out of trouble, how to avoid costing our families any money or causing them embarrassment. Again, we had sympathy for the few who were regimented by their parents and allowed no unscrutinized activities.

There were no parks or playgrounds, except for those at school. No organized sports teams, such as Little League or Pop Warner Football. Instead, the whole neighborhood and sometimes beyond, was our playground and we coached ourselves in very vigorous athletics on vacant lots or alleyway basketball hoops. This still goes on in many large, inner-cities and that's why so many of our great athletes come from those early environments. And many successful others, in all sorts of endeavors, come from these places, mostly independent from adult repression.

It doesn't work for all of them in today's world and some get into trouble. But if a natural, undisrupted order of life is allowed to develop among young people, as it did all throughout the previous time of our species, it can be the building-block of our society. The current trend of almost total adult management of children's activities, is a major cause of our decline. And these protected children, unable to fend for themselves, are easy prey, when they finally get out on their own. And often, they don't even know how to be on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting