Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 10:35 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,275,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
It's probably safer in Finland I'll bet. Crap happens though, and we all take our chances to some degree.
I use to be a latchkey kid. Came home from school and let myself in. I use to like it actually.
Its very safe here but I'm sure its just as safe in many parts of the US too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 10:46 AM

3,457 posts, read 1,462,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I often see arguments like these but how on earth is it better for the child to be in the car with you when you have an accident?!
lol good point but I was referring to making sure they have a number to call and contact someone if you don't get home. Just preparation. I would judge it by that. If they are old enough to know that you didn't come home within a certain time and when they should call another adult for help. If they don't know this then I wouldn't leave them home. If so, then it's ok.

I have known people who leave little kids that don't even know how to call someone home alone assuming nothing will happen. That's not a good idea. I would think it was common sense but since they asked so I gathered they need the knowledge or why would they be on here in the first place?

Old 06-27-2017, 10:49 AM

3,457 posts, read 1,462,768 times
Quote:
Its very safe here but I'm sure its just as safe in many parts of the US too.
Sure, there are some decent places. It would depend for me if this was going to be a routine. Say, a pattern some creep could follow and know when they're home alone. That makes a difference. Then I'd make sure to inform a neighbor that my kid is home alone everyday at this time so they could keep an eye and ear open. Molesters often stalk a child first to get a good time.

Every situation is different. But, like I said, one should just use common sense. It's not rocket science.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:18 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,275,464 times
Quote:
lol good point but I was referring to making sure they have a number to call and contact someone if you don't get home. Just preparation. I would judge it by that. If they are old enough to know that you didn't come home within a certain time and when they should call another adult for help. If they don't know this then I wouldn't leave them home. If so, then it's ok.

I have known people who leave little kids that don't even know how to call someone home alone assuming nothing will happen. That's not a good idea. I would think it was common sense but since they asked so I gathered they need the knowledge or why would they be on here in the first place?
Absolutely you need to make sure the children know who to call and when to call. My kid has a little GPS thing that is connected to mine and my OH's phones - whenever she presses the button on it it informs us that she is thinking about us, and if she presses the button for a little longer it pings us telling us to call her (it is a phone in that it can answer calls but can't make any itself). Will probably add a connection to FIL's phone too once she starts school.

Quote:
Sure, there are some decent places. It would depend for me if this was going to be a routine. Say, a pattern some creep could follow and know when they're home alone. That makes a difference. Then I'd make sure to inform a neighbor that my kid is home alone everyday at this time so they could keep an eye and ear open. Molesters often stalk a child first to get a good time.

Every situation is different. But, like I said, one should just use common sense. It's not rocket science.
Having nosy neighbours is a real bonus in this kind of situation! Also having a neighbour with a dog that barks at anyone walking up my drive (we also have visible CCTV which is hopefully a deterrent to dodgy people). Having actually had an experience with a stranger grabbing my kid (long story but we're all pretty sure he didn't have bad intentions, was just a misunderstanding from a severely mentally disabled man thinking he was helping) I had the opportunity to talk to my local police about the likelihood of such things happening and this was the only incident of an 'attempted abduction' by a stranger in this town in the memory of the police so feel pretty safe.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:39 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,597,624 times
If you mean 5 minutes within eyesight of the house to walk the dog I do that now at 7. But for anything beyond that he will need to be at least 10 if not 12.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:43 AM

15,646 posts, read 26,341,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Agreed. And there's always the long line at the cash register, the car trouble, etc that makes the trip longer. It was about 15 minutes for me, assuming no hold ups, and that would be just to pick up one item, which I rarely do. However, there is a drug store by the grocery. I can drive down there, pick up a prescription and be back in 15, assuming no wait. I think the age with the first was 11 (and her younger sister was 8); 10 for the second to be left alone.

I think like many people, you are underestimating the time you were gone.
I was about 9 when my mom had to leave for an errand. While she was gone, I saw a tornado warning on the tv, saying to head to the lowest part of your house and shelter till it was over.

I didn't really understand it was 4 counties over.

So, I collected up some water, and graham crackers, a little transistor radio, and the dog, and a couple of blankets, went downstairs and settled into the basement closet where we stored our off season clothes.

And promptly fell asleep. Hard.

I still do that. Turn on the radio, 30 seconds later I'm out.

Anyhow, Mom came home to an empty house...and panicked.... it took her about 20 minutes to find me. I was sent to my room. She was so upset there was no talking to her.

When my father got home, I got the talk.

When I explained why I had done what I had done, they couldn't punish me. In fact my father was turning red trying to control himself from laughter. Basically...the next time this happened I was to leave a note.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,260,240 times
Quote:
So better that they risk serious injury or death in a car accident than be home alone, not being in a crash?
These are not the only 2 options.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:25 PM

14,413 posts, read 11,852,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
My own state has 12 as a guideline but they are basing that on the minimum age to work including as a babysitter, which seems kind of silly to me. My child supposedly goes straight from needing a babysitter to being a babysitter watching someone else's kids, with nothing in between for a time period where they are mature enough to be on their own without being responsible for other children?
This reminds me of parents I know (my sister being one of them) who kept her kids in the back seat "because it's safer" until they were old enough for driver's licenses. Probably not a coincidence that her oldest is almost 21 and still not interested in driving--and they don't live where you can walk or catch a bus; they live in Podunk, Oklahoma. Sister drives him to college every day.

Anyway, off topic. There is no doubt that the single most dangerous thing parents do on a daily basis is put their kids in the car and drive somewhere. If the child is old enough to make a phone call and know not to unlock the door or turn on the stove, and if they are A-OK with the idea, then they are old enough to stay home for 20 minutes while Mom runs to the store. Yes, in the vast majority of cases it is safer than driving off with Mom. I do live in one of the top 5 safest cities in the country so that no doubt colors my way of thinking. We don't have homicides and virtually no housebreaking, but we do have car accidents.

My oldest was not OK with staying alone until she was 11, so I didn't push her. The other two were fine at 8 or 9. They're all teens now and I will leave them all day if I need to. Haven't done overnight yet, but that would probably not be a problem.

Last edited by saibot; 06-27-2017 at 12:54 PM..

Old 06-27-2017, 12:39 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,203,563 times
Based on the IMO overprotective people on this thread I won't state when I started leaving them home while I ran down the street to the store for 15-20 mins.

In case some people didn't realize, not every one lives in a high crime, busy neighborhood. And even those who think they do are likely overestimating the risk.

When I leave my kids at home my biggest worry isn't that they'll befall some tragedy, it's that they'll let the dog out and forget about him and he'll wander down the hill for a swim in Lake Michigan and then it's a ***** to get him out of the water.

Last edited by Vegabern; 06-27-2017 at 12:53 PM..

Old 06-27-2017, 12:40 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,071,772 times
Quote:
I often see arguments like these but how on earth is it better for the child to be in the car with you when you have an accident?!
It's probably not better for the child to be in the car. However, the point is that the child may be "home alone" much longer than the 10-15 minutes it takes the parent to run this errand if the parent gets in an accident on the way to/from the errand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Your links on latch key kids DO say that - - 49 of 50 states allow kids to be home before the age of 8th grade. Look at your own link!

As far as walking to school, you're still talking about a child being outside of a parent's vision. That's the similarity; thus, it does have something to do with the original question (which I started!).
No, my links do not say that. See emm74's response as well. If I/we are mistaken, please show a direct quote that says we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Most states do not have rules and even the ones that have an age usually have it as a guideline or recommendation, not a mandate.

Home Alone Rules by State - iMom

My own state has 12 as a guideline but they are basing that on the minimum age to work including as a babysitter, which seems kind of silly to me. My child supposedly goes straight from needing a babysitter to being a babysitter watching someone else's kids, with nothing in between for a time period where they are mature enough to be on their own without being responsible for other children?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Normally, yes, but where we live there are often torrential downpours in the afternoon, so I'd generally run out to get her during the fall and spring.
Makes sense to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting