Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 02:21 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,897 times

Advertisements

An 18 year old is pretty much raised but they're pre-frontal cortex is not fully developed - it's basically a handicap like a toddler, only worse. No matter how well a foundation a parent has given their child, peer pressure and wrong judgment in a moment of weakness can have harsh consequences for someone of legal age. Perhaps there is a little intuition mixed in with the anxiety.

So here's a few ideas -

GPS the car that he drives that you own - you have to get a separate phone though that works with the towers in your area - there's quite a few cheap plans out there. (Make sure there is adequate battery, ring and display are off). Use an app on your phone to see where that car is. Put a voice activate recorder in your house then listen to it, when you get back. It'll feel so wrong that you won't do any of that again, but on the off-chance there is something amiss, you'll know. And remember it's like a photograph - a snapshot in time but not indicative to how he is. Also, what if he finds out - then that would cause some damage in your relationship.

Or you both could use apps on your phones to check in with each other. Going this route, requires a bit of forethought - If you've been a helicopter parent, explain this will allay your anxiety, if you have been the sole provider and nurturer, remind him that for so long, you were on high alert that this will help you adjust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 02:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Well, worrying about a house party is a valid concern. But at least you won't have to worry about him drinking and driving.
However, in some states you have to worry about someone getting drunk at your house and then killing someone on the road, especially if they're underage.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:51 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Says the person whose oldest is what, 5? Just wait a few years and you'll be thinking the same thing.

OP, two suggestions, actually one with different approaches.

1. He has a friend stay with him at your house.
2. He stays with a friend at their house.

Good idea! Or any relatives that could randomly drop by or a neighbor. Just to keep him on his tows so he doesn't plan a party or have a girlfriend over? These would be the things I would worry about with an 18 yr old home alone knowing I'll be gone for a few days. Yes, he's an adult but he's still young and that won't stop him from doing something stupid.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:20 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
However, in some states you have to worry about someone getting drunk at your house and then
Yes. My sister and BIL left my then-17 year old niece (who was--and still is--a "good kid") for a few days alone and after she invited three friends over one night, within a half hour there were 30 kids there and a neighbor did call the police because of the music. My niece claimed that she never invited the rest of them; they just showed up....

Old 06-30-2017, 03:51 PM

73 posts, read 102,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferngully View Post
Right?!

Do you have kids, and if so, how did you handle letting them go? Was it ever an issue at all, on any level?
You work on it a lot sooner than when they are 18 for one. Has the kid ever done anything seriously wrong? Has he ever been allowed to do something on his own?

Old 06-30-2017, 05:05 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Says the person whose oldest is what, 5? Just wait a few years and you'll be thinking the same thing.

OP, two suggestions, actually one with different approaches.

1. He has a friend stay with him at your house.
2. He stays with a friend at their house.
My oldest is 23 and my youngest is 18 and I agree 100% with the sentiment that an 18 year old young man should be able to stay on his own for a weekend. My husband and I will be going away for a few days in July and our. youngest will stay at home by himself. He is 18 and recently graduated from high school.

An 18 year old is not a child.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:06 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yowser. I wish sincerely, I could wind back the clock of time to when I left my 18 year old son alone in the house because I trusted him. I still trust him, but his friends got wind that he was in the house by himself and it nearly ended in tragedy.

I wish I had been home Thanksgiving weekend of 2011.

OP, **** can happen to your responsible son while you are away and it can ruin your life. Just so you know.

I was going to say something similar. It's not always your child you have to worry about.. sometimes friends come over and it get's out of hand.

My 30ish son informed me the other day that when we had gone on vacation when he was 18 that a few friends showed up and someone called the cops on them. Lord only knows what they were doing, but I didnt' find out about it until years later. None of the neighbors told me.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:14 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Seems like you wouldn't have this problem if, starting 5 or 6 years ago, you had forced him to keep you in the loop. I wouldn't worry about this weekend, but you could make a late stab at sitting him down and trying to explain some basics about courtesy and parental worry.

Actually, I think it is his responsibility to at least help in easing some of your anxiety, but, again, that goes way back.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:16 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
I left an 18 year-old for a weekend, and the biggest party in history was hosted in my home.

There were cigar ashes in drawers . . . the carpets were filthy.

I was devastated and angry.

It was all worth it to the teenager.

Maybe get a boyfriend in town or have him stay with you until your son moves out.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:24 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
just rent "Weird Science" and watch it together.

At the end, say "If you have a party like this while we're gone, I will kill you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting