Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 06:06 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I don't think I said every waking second, or all their free time, but isn't that kind of what screen time is for too? A break?

It's just we have created this fantasy of kids just going outside and being able to entertain themselves for hours on end, and as you say with no other kids around. What is the end goal of sending them outside if they are already going outside everyday with camp and other activities? Is it just for a break for you? Which is fine but why do they need to be outside?
Kids can and do entertain themselves outside, it's not a fantasy. My kids played out everyday that the weather cooperated and I see the kids in my neighborhood out playing all the time. Fresh air and nature is great for children, actually it's great for people in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 06:07 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
I never had to kick my kids outside. Summer months they were up early, did their chores and were out the door. They came back home for lunch and then went right back to whatever game they were playing when they came in to eat.

Same at supper time. They came home, ate, and were allowed as far as the back yard after. In at 8, showered, and allowed to read or watch TV before a snack and bed.

Of course, back then there was no competition from cell phones, computers, tablets, game systems. They grew up to be golfers, fishermen, even a marathoner. Two of them played ice hockey even into their 20s. Even in their 60s the elder three are more outdoor oriented.

They use technology but it is for business. Still find other pursuits to be more interesting/stimulating.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:10 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Depending on the time of the year, I do go out with them. I have a ton of allergies and am allergic to sun screen so some parts of the year is very hard for me to be out in. Plus...I needed a break. I don't think I am the only mom who cant entertain their kids every waking second.

Also, I attended a seminar from an author on parenting that I really respect and she says family or mom time is great. But you should never fill all their free time with your attention. There has to be a balance so they learn how to entertain themselves and branch out to try new things.

I am going to take them outside and teach them badminton tomorrow I think.
Bird, I applaud you. You are doing all the right things.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:52 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I never had to kick my kids outside. Summer months they were up early, did their chores and were out the door. They came back home for lunch and then went right back to whatever game they were playing when they came in to eat.

Same at supper time. They came home, ate, and were allowed as far as the back yard after. In at 8, showered, and allowed to read or watch TV before a snack and bed.

Of course, back then there was no competition from cell phones, computers, tablets, game systems. They grew up to be golfers, fishermen, even a marathoner. Two of them played ice hockey even into their 20s. Even in their 60s the elder three are more outdoor oriented.

They use technology but it is for business. Still find other pursuits to be more interesting/stimulating.
Times have really changed. The electronics really have changed kids. I am hoping if I keep up my screen time limit, my kids will start to learn how to have fun without it again. My daughter plays outside a lot, but her friend is out of town. And there are hardly anykids in the neighborhood but the ones there are usually stay inside.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:02 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,536 times
Quote:
Times have really changed. The electronics really have changed kids. I am hoping if I keep up my screen time limit, my kids will start to learn how to have fun without it again. My daughter plays outside a lot, but her friend is out of town. And there are hardly anykids in the neighborhood but the ones there are usually stay inside.
That's really unfortunate the kids in my neighborhood are out playing quite a bit, most of the parents here limit screen time and insist on outside time. It's a rural area and that may have something to do with it.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:13 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
My younger two are in daycare for the summer, and there is no screen time there, and by the time they get home thet want to play with their friends in the neighborhood; they end up maybe getting an hour of screen time. My oldest, as long as he puts in 1 hour of reading and 30 minutes of piano, I don't go out of my way to limit screen time during the day.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:49 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
it is great but just remember to keep your eyes on them because in todays world you just never know . And it only take a minute for some physco to snatch your kid . Good job mom just be careful ,

Old 07-05-2017, 10:28 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
We were always outside when we were kids. There was no tv allowed during the day and there was so much to do outside that we didn't want to be inside except on rainy days. We played in our old garage out back, when younger we would dress up in our mothers' old clothes, when older I remember trying to make things from cotton when we were learning about the cotton industry in school.

We had wagons, bikes, doll carriages, hula hoops, balls, bats. Sometimes we would sit under a tree and read. We were allowed to walk to a playground at the end of the street where there were swings.

After supper all the neighborhood kids would come over for a game of kickball. Sometimes there was hide and seek or other more complicated hiding games organized by the older kids.

We girls would build houses by turning the lawn chairs upside down. We would work on crafts that my mother got us interested in. We would put on plays and shows and invite the neighbors. We would practice acrobatics on the lawn. By high school age, we would study while sitting on the grass under a big tree, and we would practice basketball and tennis in the driveway.

That's only the summer. We were also outside most of the time in the snow in winter. Kids learn to be creative that way. You don't need to be with them, in fact we would have hated that because it was our world out there. Teach them to be creative and to be on their own.

As for being allergic to sunscreen, try a natural brand from a health store like Alba Botanica or a few other brands. I had to switch too due to allergies.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:33 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
I have literally locked my kids out of the house. They're 6 and 7. It's usually not required in the summer though.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:28 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
I have been very strict this summer about screen time (2 hours) and the kids getting their chores done and have seen a ton of improvement in their behavior and mood. On week days (besides holidays) they are in either camp or other type of programing, usually where they spend a lot of time outside. But its harder when its a "chill" day at home.

My daughter (10) likes to play outside. My son (11), not so much.

So today they did their chores, used their screen time and then were following me around whining about being bored. So I sent them outside for 1 hour. I said it was either 1 hour of chores or one hour of playing outside.

You can guess what they chose. But I was wondering, is it mean? After the hour is up I plan to play board games with them. But is it...like bad parenting to do that?

My parents used to send me out when they were fighting and I wasn't allowed back in for several hours sometimes (not even to go to the bathroom or get a drink). So that is my context.
Not mean at all. been proved again and again that kids that spend time outside benefit tremendously.

And kids who can entertain themselves are always happier, better thinkers, better imagination and have improved critical thinking skills.

Send em out, let them figure out what to do on their own. It's how you begin creating ADULTS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting