Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2017, 05:24 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,226,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Not a lot of waste there. My mom used to roast (bake? to me, the term seems synonymous, at least in regard to chicken) 2 whole chickens together at least once a month. We used the leftovers the next day to make sandwiches for school lunches. She used the bones to make a stock for soup, etc, so pretty much all of it was used up.

I guess I consider roasting a chicken kind of like boiling an egg....and it’s so EASY that I can’t imagine that a young adult wouldn’t know how to do it.

The car stuff I can understand. My dad never told me to get my car serviced regularly, and I never thought to ask him when I got my first used car at age 22, and had to learn the hard way when the brakes went out.
It's funny because for the first half of my childhood, my father worked as an auto mechanic and always took care repairs for friends and family. Yet, until I had been driving for a good 2 years, I had no idea that oil needed to be changed! I remember my now husband asking me when I had it changed last and was all "Uhhhh, is it supposed to be changed?" The look on his face was that of incredulity, but I honestly had no idea that one needed to do anything more than put gas in it and take it in for a brake job when the car no longer stopped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 05:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post

Untrue? I guess you get your news from these so called "fake" news outlets. Anytime you take a course that was offered for FREE in the K-12 system, discontinue it, and only have it available in community college classes that you have to PAY for results in far less people having access to it.

You need to read these articles in depth, because you are completely wrong about this subject.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tarabro.../#b5f829a541f1

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nichola.../#19ab0ed256f8

Vocational Schools Face Deep Cuts in Federal Funding - The New York Times
1. An opinion piece from 5 years ago. She's wrong, probably repeating some rumor. See this: https://www.publicschoolreview.com/c...public-schools
"There are 75 vocational public schools in California. Vocational schools offer a series of courses which directly prepare individuals in paid or unpaid employment in jobs that have requirements other than a baccalaureate or advanced degree."

2. Another opinion piece. See this:
"It is true that earnings studies show college graduates earn more over a lifetime than high school graduates."
Which brings me to this, which I am glad I bookmarked: https://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm
Now mind you, I have no problem with anyone taking voc-ed who wants to and no problem with people working in the trades if that's their choice.

3. An article from six years ago about a PROPOSED reduction in voc-ed of 20%. Did it happen? Who knows? Up to you to back up.

My district has this: Career and Technical Education Center This program serves two districts. The second largest school district in Colorado (and the largest suburban district in the state) has this: Warren Tech | Red Rocks Community College

Old 07-09-2017, 05:37 PM

2,197 posts, read 3,356,156 times
But who leaves home and doesn't know basic things? Nobody I know! It's not rocket science doing laundry or making a simple basic meal.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Back when I was growing up, there was home economics in school, where girls were taught sewing, cooking, and other basics of running a home. It was originally only for girls. Boys took shop classes where they learned wood working or the basics of automotive repair.

Shortly after I graduated, those classes became co-ed, but they were still taught. These days, there don't seem to be any required "home economics" type classes. I've found basic cooking classes and some basic economics classes that teach about credit and banks, but the home ec classes we had seem to be gone.

From what I'm reading on boards and various places, there seems to be a number of young people out there who don't have these skills. I know a lot of them have no critical thinking skills: I wrote about that in the employment section. If they can't think critically, how can they be expected to teach themselves many of these skills? Youtubes only go so far, and some of them are either inaccurate or teach inefficient ways to accomplish the task.

I don't have a good answer: maybe wholesale public school reform? I didn't think that my education was anything special, but I was ready to live on my own at 17 and I had some marketable skills, as well. It seems like there are more young people in their 20s who are still living at home and aren't even close to being able to leave the nest, economics aside.
"Don't seem to be". Have you looked at your school district's course offerings, and graduation requirements? My kids' school has "home ec" though it's now called "Consumer and Family Studies" and one practical arts class (home ec, shop, many other choices) is required. When I took "Home Ec" we didn't learn everything about running a household, either. We basically learned cooking and sewing, with a little nutrition added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I was raised to believe that the fundamental job of a parent was to teach their children how to become a functioning adult in society. If a child leaves home and can't do basic things, then don't the parents bear some responsibility for this?

This isn't "parent shaming." It's just a question.

It wouldn't bother any of you if your child left home and couldn't do laundry or cook anything past a basic PB&J sandwich?

Just tell me what you all believe a parent should teach their children. Let's discuss.
Don't break your neck falling off your high horse.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
I was raised to believe that the fundamental job of a parent was to teach their children how to become a functioning adult in society. If a child leaves home and can't do basic things, then don't the parents bear some responsibility for this?

It wouldn't bother any of you if your child left home and couldn't do laundry or cook anything past a basic PB&J sandwich?

Just tell me what you all believe a parent should teach their children. Let's discuss.
Since when is knowing how to roast a chicken or rebuilding a car necessary for functioning in adult society?

Old 07-09-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
But who leaves home and doesn't know basic things? Nobody I know! It's not rocket science doing laundry or making a simple basic meal.
Like someone else was advised, I would suggest you read the whole thread. It's not that long.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:44 PM

2,197 posts, read 3,356,156 times
I have read the whole thing. Nothing better to say?

Old 07-09-2017, 05:44 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Quote:

Really?

Quote:
Young adults are having to take adulting classes or watch adulting videos online in order to learn how to live. They don't know how to perform basic things like doing laundry, cooking basic food like scrambled eggs or grilled cheese or roast chicken, cleaning up after themselves, how to use a bank, etc.

As I see it, these are the basic things that parents are supposed to teach their children.

If your child doesn't know these things and needs to take classes or watch videos, would you feel like a failure as a parent? Where did you drop the ball?
Quote:
So parents shouldn't be responsible for teaching basic life stuff? Then what is the role of the parent?

Also, public libraries are usually funded by tax money. Why should our tax money go to people with a parenting deficiency? That tax money could go to more important needs.

Remember, these are not general community information classes. These are classes to teach people to be adults. What are parents doing for 18 years?
Honestly, I've never heard of someone not being able to make a PB&J. Unless of course it wasn't part of their food repetoire while growing up. And honestly, I do not consider not being able to make a PB&J a parenting fail. There is so much to learn and a lifetime to learn it. Giving your children the love and support to accomplish things; the curiosity and discipline to actually learn them, and the ethics, responsibility and compassion to do them in a way that benefits themselves and others. As for specifics? Scrambled eggs are just scrambled eggs. *shrugs*

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-09-2017 at 06:44 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 05:47 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,168 times
Quote:

My kids were making sandwiches at, like, 5. My older two kids assist with laundry. There's a lot we've exposed them to, and a lot they've learned through self-directed learning. Basic "adulting" isn't that hard.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
I have read the whole thing. Nothing better to say?
You parachuted in here at the end; well, the end for now anyway. When you first posted, you had a carat pointing to my post. I didn't know what you were getting at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting