Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2017, 06:13 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

I would actually like to see more of an emphasis by parents on teaching girls in particular how to do basic maintenance, check the oil in the car, things like that, as well to me ex'sas simple household things. I myself went right from my parents to a friends to a boyfriends to my grandmothers, and didn't live on my own until I was almost 40; I didn't even know how to hang a picture. As a therapist, I've had widows as patient's who have fallen apart since their husband's died and don't even know how to balance the checkbook because the husband took care of everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 12:46 PM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Of course I think people should know that stuff by adulthood. I do question if there's a list where if you don't know something on it, that means your parents were failures and you are "incomplete". The skills in bold are easily learned.
Its not about a list of things or being incomplete its the fact that we are seeing high school and college graduates that cant seem to function as independent adults and apparently now there is a need for classes to teach basic life skills that should have been picked up during the journey from child to adult but wasn't.
My opinion is that it is a parents job to prepare our kids for adulthood and that involves letting them do for themselves even if they fall. I agree with Marlow that too often parents want to do everything for their children instead of letting them figure things out for themselves and that is why they don't know how to mail a letter or do laundry or sew on a button or follow a recipe, shop for health insurance, make a doctors appointment, etc.
I know I have been guilty of that myself.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Its not about a list of things or being incomplete its the fact that we are seeing high school and college graduates that cant seem to function as independent adults and apparently now there is a need for classes to teach basic life skills that should have been picked up during the journey from child to adult but wasn't.
My opinion is that it is a parents job to prepare our kids for adulthood and that involves letting them do for themselves even if they fall. I agree with Marlow that too often parents want to do everything for their children instead of letting them figure things out for themselves and that is why they don't know how to mail a letter or do laundry or sew on a button or follow a recipe, shop for health insurance, make a doctors appointment, etc.
Exactly. I don't think it's all a new thing, either. My grandmother sewed all my buttons on for me, hemmed my clothes, etc. I was happy to have her do it and never wanted to learn as long as someone was willing to do it for me. Now at 55 if I try to sew it comes out looking like I did it while wearing mittens or something.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:41 AM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Exactly. I don't think it's all a new thing, either. My grandmother sewed all my buttons on for me, hemmed my clothes, etc. I was happy to have her do it and never wanted to learn as long as someone was willing to do it for me. Now at 55 if I try to sew it comes out looking like I did it while wearing mittens or something.
I agree. I think every generation has experienced this and with each generation we generally are passed less knowledge by our parents and become less capable of independence at a later age.

I am guilty of ironing my gsons shirts while I should be teaching him to iron.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:20 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Quote:
I agree. I think every generation has experienced this and with each generation we generally are passed less knowledge by our parents and become less capable of independence at a later age.

I am guilty of ironing my gsons shirts while I should be teaching him to iron.
But instead of learning to iron, those kids are learning how to do social media marketing or build computers. And they might teach their parents. It's not that the kids are not learning things... they're just learning things relevant to what they need to know. If my teens needed to learn how to iron and I wasn't around to show them, they'd just watch a YouTube video. Information is literally at our fingertips and our kids have grown up with it, so they know how to access it all.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:44 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would actually like to see more of an emphasis by parents on teaching girls in particular how to do basic maintenance, check the oil in the car, things like that, as well to me ex'sas simple household things. I myself went right from my parents to a friends to a boyfriends to my grandmothers, and didn't live on my own until I was almost 40; I didn't even know how to hang a picture. As a therapist, I've had widows as patient's who have fallen apart since their husband's died and don't even know how to balance the checkbook because the husband took care of everything.

I've never done that once in my life. I've got two graduate degrees, raised four kids, have three currently in college, and am as high as I can go in my career, earn in the top 4% nationally and have no debt. I came to this country 25 years ago with around $1k.

What the heck is balancing a checkbook? Not that I even have a checkbook - who does nowadays.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Who's this "we"? I don't see that. I have two kids, several nieces and nephews, plus I see my kids' friends and my friends' kids (and even their friends) managing to live very functional lives as young adults. I don't know what the issue is.

None of my siblings, friends nor I did the bold, and I do not know one YA who can't do at least most of those things. A good friend of mine said her oldest called them to ask questions about insurance when he got his first job; the next one made all the decisions himself. My kids mostly made their own decisions. I can't remember them specifically asking me any questions about insurance, 401Ks, etc.

In short, I don't know who those kids are!

Old 07-20-2017, 05:23 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
Maybe we should just make sure all kids can use Google. All the answers to life's problems are in there somewhere.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:42 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Maybe we should just make sure all kids can use Google. All the answers to life's problems are in there somewhere.
They teach you all about Google and Google Earth in the 3rd grade. Kids are set. All the things they ever wanted to know at their fingertips.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I've never done that once in my life. I've got two graduate degrees, raised four kids, have three currently in college, and am as high as I can go in my career, earn in the top 4% nationally and have no debt. I came to this country 25 years ago with around $1k.

What the heck is balancing a checkbook? Not that I even have a checkbook - who does nowadays.
I pay almost all my bills online, but I still carry a check register....when I buy something using my debit card I deduct that purchase from my balance. If I have $3,000 in my checking account and pay a $400 bill online, I deduct it from my balance and write the new total. That is balancing a checkbook, in a nutshell. Simply keeping written record of how much is in the account and how much is left after paying a bill. I didn't realize it has became irrelevant to keep records.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting