Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2017, 01:40 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's funny...because that's kind of how it is for me.
When I am home with the kids, I'm always trying to teach them something.

It's not always something good...my 5 year old is a card sharp now.
Luckily, he lets me bet in pushups/situps/squats. I'd be out a lot of $$.
I do it as it comes up, but I can't possibly cover EVERYTHING just like my parents couldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

3,754 posts, read 4,232,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Hands on training? Then you should love the idea of these classes. Or do you expect everyone to go to a technical school and become a certified electrician, plumber, auto mechanic, HVAC technician, etc... ?
I'm not arguing against people taking classes to learn things, and I wasn't when you originally quoted me, either. So you're arguing a point I never made with yourself.

I have no expectations for other people. I can't even expect people to use rational thought on an online forum.

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Heck I am 55 and until about 5 years ago I had never boiled a whole chicken before.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:42 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,232,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My list of BASICS (besides academics and sports and driving):

Etiquette
Money Management/Investment
Basic home repair
Basic car diagnostics/repair
Cooking
Nutrition
Working out
Cleaning/laundry
Basic outdoor survival skills
How to shop (anything from groceries to a home)
How to travel
How to approach applications (college, jobs, etc) and interviews
CPR/First Aid
That's a pretty good list. Most children raised today would be out of their element on most of these things.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:43 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I do it as it comes up, but I can't possibly cover EVERYTHING just like my parents couldn't.
I bet you'll get plenty done and they will be incredibly competent adults.
Because you care and spend time with them.
Some stuff they'll just get through osmosis, too.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:54 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I know more than I care to, frankly. But as far as being a car guy is concerned, we're a dying breed. I know, because I am one of them, and if you think there's tons of them out there you are completely wrong. The amount of people who know how to wrench on cars is a lot less than it was just 20 years ago. There's a lot of younger kids these days who don't even want to learn to drive a car, much less work on them. That was absolutely unheard of back when I was growing up, having a car meant having more freedom. You turned 16, you got your license, and you wanted a car.

You are also neglecting the fact that school districts across the country have had their vocational type classes on the chopping block for decades now. Most schools used to offer Home Ec, Woodworking, Metalworking, Auto Mechanics/Auto Paint and Body, etc, courses. Now, a lot of districts have cut those types of programs due to budgetary concerns. There's less kids learning this type of stuff overall, even without factoring in parents not teaching them this stuff.

I will say that most of my experience with teenagers and 20 somethings today is based upon my demographics. I live in a neighborhood where the average age of owners is probably 50-55 or so, and the average home price is >$700k. There's tons of kids growing up in affluent suburbs who don't know how to do things, because their parents never did them or taught them. They could afford not to, I suppose. But I see it on a daily basis, because all the kids around here are in middle school and high school. Pretty sad when none of them know how to prime a lawn mower!
There are less car guys because cars are becoming more and more complex relying on sensitive computers.

I learned NOTHING from woodshop or home ec. NOTHING.

SO they pull out the manual and figure it out?

I really am missing the point.

It isn't that young adults don't know how to do things, its that times change. My millennial children know how to do things I didn't at their age. They are confident and seasoned international travelers. They know way more about technology. They have a better understanding of world politics. They tend towards having strong and passionate political views. I have found them to have much better social skills and be more adventurous.

And I was a kid who was taught to keep house but I still called my mom at least once a week to see how to do something when I was first being a wife/mother.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:04 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I'm over 60 and never roasted a chicken. I do not recall that my mother ever roasted one either.
Just curious...how did all of you who have never roasted a chicken eat chicken growing up - or did you not eat it? What other way is there to cook chicken? Fry it? Certainly a lot more work.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:14 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Just curious...how did all of you who have never roasted a chicken eat chicken growing up - or did you not eat it? What other way is there to cook chicken? Fry it? Certainly a lot more work.
There are like 8000000000 ways to eat chicken.
Roast chicken (which I do myself) isn't even in my top 10 favorites.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:24 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
baked, grilled, cooked in a pressure cooker or crockpot with a variety of seasonings, chicken with dumplings, chicken soup, chicken pot pie, stir fried, chicken cutlets, chicken salad....I could go on and on. Roasting a WHOLE chicken? Not too many people actually do that.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:27 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
There are less car guys because cars are becoming more and more complex relying on sensitive computers.

I learned NOTHING from woodshop or home ec. NOTHING.

SO they pull out the manual and figure it out?

I really am missing the point.

It isn't that young adults don't know how to do things, its that times change. My millennial children know how to do things I didn't at their age. They are confident and seasoned international travelers. They know way more about technology. They have a better understanding of world politics. They tend towards having strong and passionate political views. I have found them to have much better social skills and be more adventurous.

And I was a kid who was taught to keep house but I still called my mom at least once a week to see how to do something when I was first being a wife/mother.
None of this matters if they can't discuss the pros and cons of various cars and engines, and fix them all themselves. And they are also not allowed to have friends with a variety of interests. Nope. Parenting FAIL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting