Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 02:54 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolbus123 View Post
We're trying to work something out. We both work, unlike most of the Real Housewives around this area. We have a nanny for him, but she only works part time in the afternoon. We'd have her drive him in the morning, but she lost her license. So she takes Uber up here in the afternoon then waits for him to get off the bus. Once she gets her license back, we might ask if she can help, but I'm having second thoughts because of her 2 DUIs. (She's a family friend.)
He's eleven and he has a nanny?! If this ever gets out, he will be singled out for ridicule that will be beyond belief.

He is not an infant or toddler. He is a young man and needs to be treated as such. He has either entered puberty or soon will. You need to let him grow up.

I had a house key when I was seven. Does he even have one now?

Old 07-14-2017, 07:20 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
A nanny with 2 DUIs...well then.

Welcome to CD

Old 07-14-2017, 08:50 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
He's eleven and he has a nanny?! If this ever gets out, he will be singled out for ridicule that will be beyond belief.

He is not an infant or toddler. He is a young man and needs to be treated as such. He has either entered puberty or soon will. You need to let him grow up.

I had a house key when I was seven. Does he even have one now?
He's too young to stay alone every afternoon. I know some latchkey kids succeed, but statistically, kids who are reliably left alone all afternoon after school get into trouble. Leaving him alone for half an hour, or occasionally all afternoon is one thing but no, an 11 year old boy shouldn't come home from school every afternoon at 3ish and not be supervised until about 6. On the other hand, I would refer to the nanny as "the babysitter" or "after school caregiver".

Old 07-14-2017, 08:55 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
He's too young to stay alone every afternoon. I know some latchkey kids succeed, but statistically, kids who are reliably left alone all afternoon after school get into trouble. Leaving him alone for half an hour, or occasionally all afternoon is one thing but no, an 11 year old boy shouldn't come home from school every afternoon at 3ish and not be supervised until about 6. On the other hand, I would refer to the nanny as "the babysitter" or "after school caregiver".
She might also be helping with homework, starting dinner...

Old 07-14-2017, 09:07 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Yeah I let my 11 year old be home alone for periods of time but I wouldn't do it daily after school. I would trust him not to get into trouble. But after school there is homework, chores, dinner...etc. If I came home 2 or 3 hours later, I would be in a mad dash to get all that done and wouldn't have a second to actually spend with my child.

But the DUI thing...nope. I don't care who they are friends with. That shows a distinct lack of judgement and perhaps an alcohol problem.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:08 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolbus123 View Post
a short mini-type school bus
I walked away instead of telling her what I really thought
You walked away from the one point in which you could have spoken to her about the reason why he rides the short bus.

Other than that, maybe you should move somewhere your child will be better accessed to go to public school.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:12 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Yes, but you have no problem with these boys calling special needs students this name. It's not the bus that is the issue, but the fact that the school doesn't prevent this kind of bullying for *all* kids including any special needs children who take the *short bus* which is used as an insult in many cases.

The school needs to deal with the bullying issue. That really has nothing to do with the bus.

Btw, my grandson rode the regular bus despite special needs for almost 3 years. Most of the students in his school like him, but we had bullying incidents on the regular bus toward the end of the year. He will be riding the special needs bus to his jr. high because 7th and 8th graders are harsher on the regular bus than the 6th graders. Fortunately, the bus driver took care of the problem by moving his seat so that he was in the drivers line of sight after the incidents.
I can't believe how blessed (and I DON'T use that word on a regular basis) my children were at their local school. While I'm sure that some amount of bullying took place in their schools, being TRULY different made a student more of a celebrity among the other students instead of a pariah. This included disabilities big and small, ethnic and religious differences, and 'orientation'.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:23 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Agreed! I wouldn't let an 11 yr old be home by themselves till 6. Times are different! Plus homework, dinner, etc. maybe at 12, but not 11!

Anyway, the thread is about the bus. I can see the school trying to save money by sending a small bus instead of the big one. As another poster said, she would know by now if he's special needs! I do find it hard to believe there's no other kids that can also go on this bus! And isn't it summer break now? No school right? Come up with a plan that includes A NEW SITTER & one who can drive & pick him up at school everyday! Www.Care.com seriously, no one with 2 DUI's is watching my kids! They obviously have a drinking problem!

Old 07-14-2017, 09:29 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
She might also be helping with homework, starting dinner...
OR drinking the scotch that she hid beneath the sink. . .

Old 07-14-2017, 09:47 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
So you think that he's better of with a drunk than he is by himself. People who drive drunk do everything else drunk as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting