Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 12:35 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Get your kid into a self defense class.
That only does so much. My 11yr old is in taeKwonDo and she still has to deal with the things people say... you dont have to hit someone to make them feel like crap.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:51 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Have him Maui Thai classes. Problem solved. Seriously, the kids need to be educated. Bullying is a way of life with little kids and lessons are learned. If you son can solve the problem with your help and teacher's help or even by himself, it will be valuable for his future. Sometimes tough things happen and one becomes stronger from it.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:03 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolbus123 View Post
I agree that things shouldn't bother him and that the size of the bus should be irrelevant. But they do, and it's not. I'm working on educating him, but these local do-nothings are fuelling the fire using their kids as accelerant.

My first goal is to protect the well being of my child. That is first. Then I'll educate him about the rest of it. But I don't want him to grow up with PTSD or psychological problems because I was busy trying to make him think this doesn't matter. It does matter.
Then figure out a way to drive him.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:07 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
Is there really only 1 kid in 4 grades that lives anywhere by you on that route? That has got to be a horrible way to live.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:56 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times
Ya know...I am just scratching my head. The idea of "the short bus" hasn't been at any of the schools my kids have attended, and there are a lot of them. Or anyone I went to. The closest is the pre-k bus our last district used. I only heard the term on TV...

I'm thinking teasing and ostracizing a child the kids think has developmental or health issues is the real problem...well, ya know...if it was actually happening.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:21 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Ya know...I am just scratching my head. The idea of "the short bus" hasn't been at any of the schools my kids have attended, and there are a lot of them. Or anyone I went to. The closest is the pre-k bus our last district used. I only heard the term on TV...

I'm thinking teasing and ostracizing a child the kids think has developmental or health issues is the real problem...well, ya know...if it was actually happening.
You must live somewhere where there are either no disabled children or the school is not in compliance with the IDEA. Special needs children ride a special needs bus from door to door in every public school I know of. It's called the short bus because it is a small bus or van and only picks up special needs children. These kids do not wait at a bus stop with the other kids usually because it is too chaotic for them.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:27 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolbus123 View Post
She got what she wanted at the moment. It won't go her way next time, believe me. I thought walking away was the more adult choice (compared with punching that slattern in the face, which is what she deserves). Given that it took place on school property, I thought it was the right choice.
Schoolbus123... seriously... you can handle this B-word.

Why didn't you laugh in her face and call her on her "source" of information right then and there? Gotta sharpen up those retorts and quick thinking. Sad but true.

So exactly -- "Happened to my son, and why do YOU think you know anything at all about my family, Darlin'? "My son is important, and that is why he gets his own bus -- NOT that it is any of your concern how my child arrives to school every day."

All with a big ole smile and laughing the entire time. Get tough with these step ford wife nasty mean girls. Stand up and don't take any of that nastiness. Turn the tables.

And your child needs to speak up. Believe it or not, this is a great lesson for future "unfairness" that will befall him in the path of life. Speak up for yourself, or the bullies will run you over.

As for the nasty B-word, Someone needs to put that trash where she belongs.

In the dumpster. Let that someone be you.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:37 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You must live somewhere where there are either no disabled children or the school is not in compliance with the IDEA. Special needs children ride a special needs bus from door to door in every public school I know of. It's called the short bus because it is a small bus or van and only picks up special needs children. These kids do not wait at a bus stop with the other kids usually because it is too chaotic for them.
I think it depends. The special education buses, in my district, are normal size.

I'm a SPED teacher, and I promise most SPED students don't require a SPED bus. They are for children with more severe needs. The goal is independence, that means riding a regular bus. General education students can also ride the bus with their SPED sibling.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:52 PM

772 posts, read 1,059,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Did you mean to quote me?

Ya, a lot of first posts on CD don't sound right.
Lol.. meant to do a +1 and forgot...haha

Old 07-13-2017, 04:53 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Quite the opposite. Most kids with disabilities in my current district, severe enough to need a lift, etc, ride in a van. Others have an aid ride with them on a traditional bus. Some traditional busses have w/c lifts. The only smaller busses here are for head start.

I don't know how the other districts did it, but it wasn't some sort of "short bus" of kids targeted for bullying.

When I was a kid, they segregated intellectually disabled children more, and it was a small town. They used a couple large busses with aids on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting