Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 12:03 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,441,637 times

Advertisements

So I went to the 7pm showing of Guardians of the galaxy. I couldn't help but notice how many young kids were there. I saw children as low as 5. . and i'm pretty sure I heard lower (maybe babies) crying at one point.

Now I know this has a talking Raccoon and a tree but its labeled PG13. The Tree, in one scene, spikes a group of alien soldiers and batters them back and forth.

Don't get me wrong the movie itself was awesome. Far better than any of the 4 Star Wars movies that followed Empire Strikes back.

The movie started with a 8 year old or so losing his mother. . .sad stuff.

Overall the kids laughed and squealed at the right parts, so I can't say the children's inclusion dampened my experience.

your thoughts. . .any plans to see Guardians with a 5-13 year old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 12:12 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,074,140 times
One of my 18-year-olds saw it, loved it, but said he didn't think our 10-yr-old should see it. He described it as more thematic issues and some stuff like flipping the bird, profanity.

I stopped being surprised at how parents will just take a kid to any movie, even horror movies.

I guess the fact that it's Marvel AND yes, there is a raccoon etc. makes it seem like a kid movie.

Kind of like Family Guy or the Adult Swim animated shows: cartoons, but NOT for children.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:44 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,334,504 times
If it has been rated PG13, then I wouldn't think twice because they rate movies for a reason. So no, I wouldn't take a younger child to see it. And if I really want to see it, then I would go without my child!

Old 08-04-2014, 02:07 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,719,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
So I went to the 7pm showing of Guardians of the galaxy. I couldn't help but notice how many young kids were there. I saw children as low as 5. . and i'm pretty sure I heard lower (maybe babies) crying at one point.

Now I know this has a talking Raccoon and a tree but its labeled PG13. The Tree, in one scene, spikes a group of alien soldiers and batters them back and forth.

Don't get me wrong the movie itself was awesome. Far better than any of the 4 Star Wars movies that followed Empire Strikes back.

The movie started with a 8 year old or so losing his mother. . .sad stuff.

Overall the kids laughed and squealed at the right parts, so I can't say the children's inclusion dampened my experience.

your thoughts. . .any plans to see Guardians with a 5-13 year old?
Movie ratings are suggestions and for guidelines. ...not a hard and fast rule. What movies a kid sees depends on the kid and the movie. I know some 8 year olds that can't handle a G movie....I know younger kids that have no problems understanding certain PG and and pg-13.

Parent need to know their child and the details of a specific movie...not go by an arbitrary rating.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:10 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,441,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
If it has been rated PG13, then I wouldn't think twice because they rate movies for a reason. So no, I wouldn't take a younger child to see it. And if I really want to see it, then I would go without my child!
Yeah, you have more trust in the bureaucracy than I do.

MPAA ratings line up and have a list of allowances on what makes a rating. this many curse words, this many that.

Personally it has less cursing than a day of me working in the lawn, and no brutal deaths. . in fact maybe one "human" death in the movie. . (the guy in the spaceship) not counting mom in the begin. The majority of people getting smashed are aliens.

I agree with Scarlet G

Spoiler
and for that matter, I brought my 5 year old and he loved it

Old 08-04-2014, 02:12 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,074,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

Spoiler
and for that matter, I brought my 5 year old and he loved it
You couldn't just have said that in the OP?

Old 08-04-2014, 02:30 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,213,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
One of my 18-year-olds saw it, loved it, but said he didn't think our 10-yr-old should see it. He described it as more thematic issues and some stuff like flipping the bird, profanity.

I stopped being surprised at how parents will just take a kid to any movie, even horror movies.

I guess the fact that it's Marvel AND yes, there is a raccoon etc. makes it seem like a kid movie.

Kind of like Family Guy or the Adult Swim animated shows: cartoons, but NOT for children.
Or allow their children to watch any movie that is shown on TV or cable.

Sheesh! I can't tell you how many times I have over heard kindergarteners, 1st graders and other young children at school discuss seeing horror films that are very clearly PG-13 or even R (some of these films are too violent & scary for some teens & adults to watch).

Old 08-04-2014, 02:35 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,587,698 times
I would not have taken a 5 year-old to see it, and after seeing it, don't think it's appropriate. My 11 year-old loved it. Much younger would find it far too intense IMO.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:47 PM

78,644 posts, read 60,823,449 times
If you think that's bad, I once sat near a child around that age during a showing of JURASSIC PARK, the 2nd one that was darker and more violent than the first.

Kid was crying and asking the parents to leave. Nice parenting.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:38 PM

454 posts, read 496,578 times
I agree that it depends on the kid. This was a fun movie and I'm sure many of the adult jokes go over their heads. Yes, there's death but I remember crying my eyes out at Disney movies, the whole "losing the mom" theme is the same.

I was horrified that there was a 7 year old at Kick-Ass, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting