Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 05:14 PM

776 posts, read 394,418 times

Advertisements

Before you're 18, if you try to move out of your parents' home, your parents have the police return you to your parents' home by force and in some states fine you, but once you turn 18, your parents kick you out. Is this hypocritical? Do we want our children to grow up slowly or to grow up quickly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 06:03 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
Before you're 18, if you try to move out of your parents' home, your parents have the police return you to your parents' home by force and in some states fine you, but once you turn 18, your parents kick you out. Is this hypocritical? Do we want our children to grow up slowly or to grow up quickly?
Who is this "we"? Nobody I know kicked their children out at 18. The parents in my world understand it's a gradual process to independence, facilitated by both going away to college and allowing young adults to handle their own affairs.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:01 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times
Yeah... I'm not sure I've ever seen this to be true. I think you're probably talking about a few different sets of parents in your post.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:15 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
(Up until the child is 18 or liberated via court means) the Parents (guardians) are still accountable for their childs' well being and actions. This is why when they( the minors) are caught in a crime,they fall under juvenile laws in which a parent is to be present during questioning.

Perhaps if you rephrase this question to be more specific as to: Why a parent may relinquish parental rights or why a minor might seek independence status thru the courts, you may get a more participation. As it stands the question is obtuse at best.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
Before 18 you are a minor, and their legal responsibility. After 18 you are an adult. I don't know any parent who has been so black and white about it, though.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:54 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
I agree with Kibbie. I've not seen parents who call the police on 17 year olds who are wandering and then the day they turn 18 kick them out.

Are you just kind of musing, redguitar, or are you thinking of a specific situation?

Old 07-14-2017, 09:10 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
My mom kicked me out at 18. My husband's mother did the same to him. Both say they didn't want us to leave, just wanted us to remain obedient children. The rules that make sense for a ten year old don't make sense for an 18 year old though and you can't freeze time by continuing to treat your child as if they're still a little kid.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Who is this "we"? Nobody I know kicked their children out at 18. The parents in my world understand it's a gradual process to independence, facilitated by both going away to college and allowing young adults to handle their own affairs.
I don't know anyone who did that either, and as someone who has raised kids to adulthood, as you did, I know lots of people with YA kids as well. (Agreeing with you, if it isn't obvious!)

My older daughter never really lived at home after she went to college, except for the summers. For grad school she returned to our area, but had her own apt. The younger one has lived at home a couple times since graduation, now permanently out (I think).

Old 07-14-2017, 10:08 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,258 times
I left for college at 18 and never really lived at home again, I wasn't kicked out it was my choice. I didn't kick my children out at 18 but I did stop treating them like a child and expected them to start acting more like an adult. Within a couple of years they were fully on their own.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:50 PM

776 posts, read 394,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree with Kibbie. I've not seen parents who call the police on 17 year olds who are wandering and then the day they turn 18 kick them out.

Are you just kind of musing, redguitar, or are you thinking of a specific situation?
I'm just musing. I wasn't talking about any specific parents. I just find it strange that these opposite attitudes are so much stronger in America than in the rest of the world. American society seems to hate both independent minors and dependent adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting