Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 11:58 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,862,653 times

Advertisements

Opinions, please: is it reasonable to expect pre-teens at sleepaway camp to remember to ask for their medications? In other words, is it OK to put the onus on the child to remember and tell parents that the counselors can't be responsible for making sure children get their meds (Epi-Pens/inhalers and insulin, excepted, I believe; children held on to those themselves).

Would your opinion change if the meds were psych meds (e.g., stimulants, anti-depressants) vs. something like an antibiotic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 12:13 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,892,181 times
I expect my 11 year old to remember to take her meds every day without me reminding her. I'm sure she would remember if she was away from home also, although she might be embarrassed if the counselors made a big deal or acted like it was a lot of trouble to dispense her meds.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:16 PM

Well, my son has ADHD, which of course results in inattentive and forgetful behavior (why he needs the meds in the first place). But regardless, is it reasonable to expect this universally from 11-14 year olds? My son went to camp with 6 capsules (one per day) and came home with 4, meaning he only received his meds twice.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:16 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,895,282 times
Not at all reasonable.

My kids have been to several over night camps (the are pre-teens) and adults always are in charge of remembering to distribute them. Its kind of a pain because one of my kids is on 6 different meds 2 times a day so there are lots of forms to fill out. But the adults are in charge of them and have protocol for knowing when to call the child over to administer.

I could see if it was an older teenager, maybe 15 or 16+ that they could be in charge of it.

Whats up?

Old 07-15-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I expect my 11 year old to remember to take her meds every day without me reminding her. I'm sure she would remember if she was away from home also, although she might be embarrassed if the counselors made a big deal or acted like it was a lot of trouble to dispense her meds.
In the state I live in, a mandatory reporter might have to report a parent not supervising a child taking meds at that age...I guess it depends on what the medication is for. That's what the pediatrician said when I asked what age kids should be taking their meds on their own.

I'm glad it works for you guys,but I wouldn't suggest it...kids can be so forgetful or even not want to take medication. I cant count the times I have had to re-remind my 11 year old to take his pills after handing them to him.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:21 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,534,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Opinions, please: is it reasonable to expect pre-teens at sleepaway camp to remember to ask for their medications? In other words, is it OK to put the onus on the child to remember and tell parents that the counselors can't be responsible for making sure children get their meds (Epi-Pens/inhalers and insulin, excepted, I believe; children held on to those themselves).
Would your opinion change if the meds were psych meds (e.g., stimulants, anti-depressants) vs. something like an antibiotic?
Camp counselors are not medically trained. If there is not a nurse, they can't deal with it because they are not trained on what drugs they would be administering. You would not expect a teacher in school to administer drugs, eh? I would be surprised if the camp would let the kids self administer anyway.
"What make and model is your helicopter in this helicopter world?"

Old 07-15-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Camp counselors are not medically trained. If there is not a nurse, they can't deal with it because they are not trained on what drugs they would be administering. You would not expect a teacher in school to administer drugs, eh? I would be surprised if the camp would let the kids self administer anyway.
Are you kidding? So no kids who take any medications should go to camp? What?! Teachers and counselors are trained to give out meds and do so. In this case a child missing his adhd meds could have had disastrous results. One med my son takes, if he misses a dose, he could stroke out. And he goes to lots of sleep over camps and they have always been absolutely on top of it. Many kids take medications.

They don't have to be "trained on" a medication to dispense it. They follow the directions on the bottle.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Wow, have you ever had a child? And did that child ever have to take medication for any reason?

So, please explain to me why the camp would have the following policy if children on medication need not come to camp:

"All students must be knowledgeable of all of their medications and competent
to know how to administer them to themselves at all times throughout the week with us. Summer
Academy staff members will only hold the student’s Medication Bag and provide the bag to the student
at the time designated on the form provided by the parent/guardian responsible for them. At no time
will a Summer Academy staff member handle the individual student’s medication directly; nor will any
staff member provide guidance on how or what medications to take."

Where in that policy does it say "If your child forgets to ask for his medication, we won't give it to him. Tough S*&^, little guy. You'll just have to go without."

Old 07-15-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Wow, have you ever had a child? And did that child ever have to take medication for any reason?

So, please explain to me why the camp would have the following policy if children on medication need not come to camp:

"All students must be knowledgeable of all of their medications and competent
to know how to administer them to themselves at all times throughout the week with us. Summer
Academy staff members will only hold the student’s Medication Bag and provide the bag to the student
at the time designated on the form provided by the parent/guardian responsible for them. At no time
will a Summer Academy staff member handle the individual student’s medication directly; nor will any
staff member provide guidance on how or what medications to take."

Where in that policy does it say "If your child forgets to ask for his medication, we won't give it to him. Tough S*&^, little guy. You'll just have to go without."
I think that in itself is an insane policy. I used to work for day camps and kids were given medication by the director of the camps. If a dose was missed, heads would roll. The child did have to inject the medication, or inhale or swallow it (depending on the type), but the camp director (not a nurse) prepared the medication and summoned the child when it was time.

And that has been my experience with my kids. They have one person in charge and usually have a chart and stay on top of it all day. A PRN medication the child would have to ask for. They never even let them take Tylenol on their own, but they would have to ask for that.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I think that in itself is an insane policy. I used to work for day camps and kids were given medication by the director of the camps. If a dose was missed, heads would roll. The child did have to inject the medication, or inhale or swallow it (depending on the type), but the camp director (not a nurse) prepared the medication and summoned the child when it was time.

And that has been my experience with my kids. They have one person in charge and usually have a chart and stay on top of it all day. A PRN medication the child would have to ask for. They never even let them take Tylenol on their own, but they would have to ask for that.
As a child psychologist and the wife of an attorney, the policy smacks to me of a high-priced attorney consulting the University (this is an academic camp through a large University) and scaring the crud out of them in terms of risk management. I get that they are not nurses or doctors. I've been a camp counselor myself and had to deal with this issue. But to not even call the kids in the morning who need their meds and make sure they get them? Have a checklist? Something? Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting