Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 09:08 AM

972 posts, read 542,465 times

Advertisements

To those of you with boys in the 8-14 range, are the boys rough with each others' bikes around? I ask because the kids in my neighborhood certainly are. I didn't think much of it when my son start telling us about it, because they all have department store BMX bikes that are pretty much indestructible. But now that my son needs a bigger bike and I'd like to get him a nice mountain bike, I'm concerned about it being trashed. No matter what I tell my son or even his friends, it won't be a weak before something happens (especially since his new bike will be the object of attention). I could get a bigger BMX, but a mountain bike will teach him to use gears and hand brakes and generally foster better riding skills. I could get both, and he'd use the mountain bike when we go to parks. I just hate that the kids' behavior is a factor here. When I was I kid, we didn't mess with each others' bikes. I'm wondering if things have changed, or it's just the kids in my neighborhood.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 09:15 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
My son is 9 and I've never seen him and his neighborhood friends throw each other's bikes. They ride scooters and electric scooters as well and they've never treated them like that either.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:28 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
No, not that I'm aware of.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:29 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
I see them sharing bikes but no one is throwing them. That said, I bought my step son a nice bike once and he still wanted to do tricks and be rough with his bike and ruined it quickly. So I might still stick with a BMX type bike. There is plenty of time to learn how to ride with gears and such.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:21 AM

972 posts, read 542,465 times
I'm sorry, I meant to edit that "throwing their bikes around" phrase, but forgot to remove it from the title. It's not that they're literally throwing bikes (I think it happened once during a heated argument), but that they tend to go after each others' bikes when they have their spats with each other.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:41 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
I'm sorry, I meant to edit that "throwing their bikes around" phrase, but forgot to remove it from the title. It's not that they're literally throwing bikes (I think it happened once during a heated argument), but that they tend to go after each others' bikes when they have their spats with each other.
None if the going after eachothers bikes when mad but they often drop tthem, knock them over, try to do tricks.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:58 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
What does "going after each other's bikes" mean? That doesn't clarify anything.

Maybe they bang around each other's bikes, knowing that they're tough bikes, and can handle it? Otherwise, it sounds like you live in a rough neighborhood. That's not normal behavior for kids of any age.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:08 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Sounds like these kids need some lessons in anger management if they are throwing bikes during "heated arguments." If your child is also going after the other kid's bikes during spats, it might be a good to look up ways to help him learn some conflict management skills. You can find tips online, or your library should have somw books on the subject.

Taking out their frustration on other people's property is not something that should be allowed to continue.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Sounds like these kids need some lessons in anger management if they are throwing bikes during "heated arguments." If your child is also going after the other kid's bikes during spats, it might be a good to look up ways to help him learn some conflict management skills. You can find tips online, or your library should have somw books on the subject.

Taking out their frustration on other people's property is not something that should be allowed to continue.
I agree. I think if that happened, it would be the last time my son hung out with them. His choice, not mine.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:27 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I have girls, not boys. My daughter got a mountain bike long before her friends because she and I were riding longer distances. Her friends were careful of her "grown-up bike" and never knocked it down. They'd throw their bikes down in the yard, but were careful to stand hers up with the kickstand if she let them try it.

You should look for a bike-shop quality bike on Craigslist. It may be cheaper than buying a new mountain bike at Walmart, and it will hold up better to the occasional abuse kids give their bikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting