Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 12:47 PM

880 posts, read 531,820 times

Advertisements

My dad was one of 10. My mom was one of 4, her mom had been pregnant about 11 times but infant mortality was high in rural china.

I am one of seven, I asked my sibs how many 1st cousin we have and the responses were "good luck" "lol" and "conservatively 80+"

I know that none of my generation wants a large family. I got pregnant without trying with my own, and then carried for two other families without any issues.
My sis has PCOS and shot out 3. Needless to say....we are pretty fertile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 02:10 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
I am one of four. My wife is from a big Catholic family, being one of five.

Let me put it this way. All I had to do is cast her a smouldering glance, and that did the trick. If it weren't for the pill and a visit to the friendly neighborhood urologist after offspring #3, we'd been giving the Duggars a run for their money.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Parents: father one of ten and mother an only child

Me: one of three

Spouse: one of four

Us: three kids

Kids: two kids from one adult child

I think the availability of birth control, and the expenses of raising a child have reduced the birth rate. And the national birth rate keeps dropping.

We actually do need immigration to add working population.

When I was a young mother in the 1970s, it was common for people to have two children. When I was a kid, it was common for families to have 3-5 kids.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:12 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
It's not reduced fertility, it is much better birth control.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:06 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
Don't know about my grandparents, but my dad has 4 children in his family, my mom has 6 children in hers.

My husband has 4 children in his family and I only have a brother (so 2 children total in mine).

I have 2 children of my own and that's enough for me.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:25 PM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's not reduced fertility, it is much better birth control.
Or choices, or circumstances.

I only have one, but wanted more. Life didn't work out that way, not because of fertility, but because of lack of a stable partner and no other opportunities after the marriage ended.

I am one of seven siblings. The first five of us each had one child for different reasons, all girls. The last two have none and didn't want any.

Out of the next generation, one of my nieces has two children. Don't know if she will have more--the youngest is only a year old. Another niece has five kids. Another niece married in her late 30s and they chose not to have children, and my daughter will never have children, either. The last one is still up in the air. She's in a relationship, but I don't think they're there yet.

My father was an only child, and my mother was one of four, one of whom was mentally and physically disabled.

My grandparents all came from large families--nine kids each on the paternal side, and on my mother's side, her mother was one of 7 (and HER mother died in the eighth pregnancy) and my grandfather was one of 13.

I therefore have only six first cousins, but countless seconds and thirds.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Father was one of 3, mother was one of 4. I was one of 9, 2 of us had 3 kids, one had 2, one had one, the rest none and we are now in the 50s and 60s.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:27 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Looking at the past four generations, we are well below replacement rate.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:15 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
It is generally declining. I am a Millennial, in my 30s. It has declined in almost every successive generational cohort, from my grandparents' (GI Generation), to my parents' cohort (Baby Boomers), to mine (Millennial). The Millennial cohort in my family has not produced much in the way of offspring, as only 1 cousin has children. He has 2 children, and the first one was an unintended pregnancy where the woman decided to keep the baby despite the fact they had an unstable relationship at the time when the pregnancy occurred. He didn't want children prior to that pregnancy.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:59 AM

2,530 posts, read 1,862,895 times
On my moms side, I am the only grandchild of my maternal grandparents. Mom only had me. My uncle never had any kids of his own. My grandma was an only child and my grandpa had one brother who had 3 kids. Don't really keep much contact with them.

On my dad's side, my aunt has two and my uncle has one. My aunt's first son has 4 kids currently and my uncle's about to become a grandpa in a few months. My brother is 36, has 4 kids ranging from 19 to 2 and one grandchild. My nephew has one so far. My great grandma had 8 girls. 7 out of 8 of them had children. The first two girls had 4 kids and my grandma had 3 but the rest of the sisters after only had 1 or 2 kids. My great great grandparents had 14 kids I think. They had kids into their 50s.

My dad's dad was among 4 kids. My cousins on that side have about 2 or 3 on average.

I haven't had any kids yet but want to have like 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting