Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 08:15 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post

Four years later, I don’t know why I wasted so much mental bandwith on what caught my kids’ waste.
The same reason mommies get extremely invested in breastfeeding, circing, wearing their babies in a sling, making their own baby food, and all the other things that take up lots of brain cells and make fascinating (to them) debate fodder over who is the better mother but don’t really matter in the long run. And yes, I did all of those things and grew out of caring about them once my kids were older and had much bigger issues to contend with!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 08:18 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
People absolutely do use cloth to save money and the environment. It's not a mutually exclusive thing.
Obviously.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:20 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
The mountain of ****e diapers one child makes is huge. All these disposable diapers go into a land fill. Use cloth.
Agreed. http://c8.alamy.com/comp/A6T59X/pile...alu-A6T59X.jpg

Old 02-06-2018, 09:00 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
I have never seen a cloth diaper that was cheap, even ones being sold second hand were $25 or more. Some people simply can't afford these. Disposable diapers cost sixteen cents each (if you buy them on sale or at cheaper stores like Aldi's). Compare that to spending $25.00 for one cloth diaper.

If manufacturers of cloth are soooo concerned about the environment, why don't they make cloth diapers more affordable? And if the parents who use cloth diapers are so concerned about the environment, why don't they give their second hand cloth diapers away after they are done with them, or at least, make them dirt cheap for someone else to buy.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:23 AM

214 posts, read 301,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I have never seen a cloth diaper that was cheap, even ones being sold second hand were $25 or more. Some people simply can't afford these. Disposable diapers cost sixteen cents each (if you buy them on sale or at cheaper stores like Aldi's). Compare that to spending $25.00 for one cloth diaper.

If manufacturers of cloth are soooo concerned about the environment, why don't they make cloth diapers more affordable? And if the parents who use cloth diapers are so concerned about the environment, why don't they give their second hand cloth diapers away after they are done with them, or at least, make them dirt cheap for someone else to buy.
You can get a dozen prefolds for $20, new. Likely less if you shop around and don't just pick the first result on Amazon. You want fancy, you will pay for fancy. Plain, basic ones are cheap.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:32 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:

What are you talking about? A pack of ten cloth diapers is like $15. Even if you are talking about the covers, brand new you can get them for less than $10. The good ones used the same.

And nearly everyone who does cloth diaper "inherits" the whole set from a friend or family member. I gave my daughters away to a neighbor when she was done. Last I hear it got passed several more times, most recently to a cousin and that is some 20 years later.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:04 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:

Sure, if you have to have the Cadillac of cloth diapers, you’re going to pay more. But basic cotton prefolds cost $1-3 apiece, and basic PUL covers can be bought for $5-10 a pop (you can get away with just 2 or 3 covers). I made most of my kids’ diaper covers from repurposed merino wool sweaters. I did splurge on a small stash of fancy fitted diapers for going out, but I mostly bought workhorse diapers.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:15 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Where are you getting these prices. Amazon has 10 for $12.79.

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Birdse...SY3GE287XRXK04

Old 02-06-2018, 12:24 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Not an equivalent comparison since disposables are used one time only.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:41 PM

731 posts, read 678,780 times
Walmart cotton cloth diapers are like heavy cheesecloth. Very soft. As I recall 12 were something like $6.

My mother used cloth on all her kids. None of us died of diaper rash, nor do I remember diaper rash being a problem, since I was the oldest sister I changed a few.

Here is an article about costs of each, pros and cons
https://blog.mint.com/consumer-iq/cl...arison-102011/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting