Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 10:03 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Here's what you need to know as the grandmother. When you watch the baby, you use disposable.....That is what I'd say.

I do not think using cloth diapers is any greener than using throw away....when you consider how germy dirty diapers are....and how much hot water you have to use, and a dryer etc.
I've done both in my lifetime....and the cloth because I couldn't afford disposable. I'd choose disposable.
re the bold; I've heard this argument before and it always makes me wonder...Do you feel the same about all disposable vs reusable items? Do you also believe paper plates and plastic cups to be just as "green" as China or ceramic dishes and glasses? How about paper towels? Are they as "green" as a cloth napkin or rag?

Cloth diapering isn't for everyone, but the "reusablity" alone clearly makes it the less wasteful option (not even getting into the manufacturing, etc)

OP, cloth diapering is like every parenting choice: some love it, some hate it. I used cloth for 2 of my 4 children (now 10 and 8) I enjoyed it. And remember it fondly. Little toddlers ambling around in their adorable diaper covers I also enjoyed making their baby food in big batches and freezing it in ice cube trays... But neither is as convenient as disposable diapers or jarred food. I also choose to stay home with them. In some ways convenient, in some ways no so much. We all make our parenting choices, don't we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 12:33 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
New front load washers have a sanitize setting you can use for diapers. They also automatically adjust to the load size, so you can wash diapers as frequently as needed without wasting water.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:19 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
New front load washers have a sanitize setting you can use for diapers. They also automatically adjust to the load size, so you can wash diapers as frequently as needed without wasting water.
This could be the key point, because they will need a new washer and dryer, so if there are features which will make the task easier, it could make all the difference.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:22 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Here's what you need to know as the grandmother. When you watch the baby, you use disposable.....That is what I'd say.

I do not think using cloth diapers is any greener than using throw away....when you consider how germy dirty diapers are....and how much hot water you have to use, and a dryer etc.
I've done both in my lifetime....and the cloth because I couldn't afford disposable. I'd choose disposable.
Here's what you need to know as a grandmother. If the parent's choices are not harming their baby, then you need to RESPECT THEIR CHOICES. Some parents would be OK with disposables. Some wouldn't. My 3rd kid could use certain disposables (Honest company) and we would use them on vacations...so if my mom had had a problem with the cloth, I would have been OK with that. But he also broke out in a horrendous painful rash from other brands of disposables...so if she had gone and used them behind my back, I would have been pissed. And she wouldn't have been babysitting (she NEVER would have done that though, she's an awesome and respectful, super helpful grandma).

My mom absolutely loved my cloth diapers. She used cloth in the 70s and she thought the new style were amazing. She was actually sort of jealous that we have it so easy with cloth. No pins, no plastic pants. She loved them.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:01 AM

797 posts, read 238,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Anyway, for those of you who have used the cloth diapering system for a baby or two, what does someone need to know?
Using cloth diapers equals exponential savings.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
lol 10 years ago no one had rubber pants down the legs. I didn't even have rubber pants down the legs when I was a baby and I'm 37.
Six kids here, youngest is 27, and all (including the 27 y/o) had rubber pants up and down their legs.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:07 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
I know these are coming back into favor, for reasons of expense and ecology. My DIL is considering using them, but we don't know much about the options.

I do not have any fond memories of cloth diapering my babies and then dragging the diapers to the laundromat to wash. The invention of Pampers was a gift from heaven, when I was a young mother.

Anyway, for those of you who have used the cloth diapering system for a baby or two, what does someone need to know?
I am late to the game, but the big thing to know is it is much easier now.

The new diaper covers are great, home machines that have high heat settings and dryers make it much simpler. And given the longevity of cloth diapers it is much cheaper to "inherit" the whole set from a friend or family member. I was the first of my friends to have a baby, but I still got most of the diapers themselves from a cousin, and just invested in some new covers. Those covers were still being used by friends or friends of friend 10+ years later.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I know these are coming back into favor, for reasons of expense and ecology. My DIL is considering using them, but we don't know much about the options.

I do not have any fond memories of cloth diapering my babies and then dragging the diapers to the laundromat to wash. The invention of Pampers was a gift from heaven, when I was a young mother.

I admire you. I always owned my own washing machine and tumble dryer (outdoor clothesline, too). I would have never been able to keep up with trips to the Laundromat to wash diapers. The financial strain would have sunk us alone, never mind me finding the time.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:37 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,258 times
Never used cloth, as far as I’m concerned pampers are one of the best inventions ever.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 751 times
I cloth diaper my daughter and it’s very easy I find it much easier than disposables. If exclusively breastfed the diaper doesn’t need to be rinsed before you throw it in the wash but if the baby takes the formula or solids you have to spray it. A diaper pail or a wet bag is what you put dirty diapers in and i wish usually daily. I have heard all the negative comments also from family and just made me want to do it even more and cloth diapers are very different now than they used to be and these were my moms words and she likes them now too. You should have an open mind about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting