Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:26 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,233,675 times

Advertisements

my son has fetal alcohol syndrome. i adopted him...i did not do this to him. it is a horrible life long condition that i wouldn't wish on anyone. i have no way to know how much his birth mother drank. all i know is that he has permanent brain damage due to her drinking while pregnant.

there should be no alcohol while pregnant at all. none.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:43 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,380 times
I know many alcoholics unfortunately and one of the tell tale signs of one is they will come up with a justification for drinking, anytime, anywhere for any reason against all sense.

Most pregnant mothers avoid anything that 'MAY' lead to birth defects because its not worth the risk. Not because its a guarantee. An alcoholic or any other addict WILL take that risk, at work, when driving, while pregnant.... every time. Because the idea of abstinence is a lot scarier than some remote chance of a birth defect.

Oh and by the way, not all alcoholics are falling down drunk of the side of the road begging for cash. Some are well dressed, perfectly coiffed upper middle class women with a wine habit that survives pregnancy... and breastfeeding.... and child rearing.... etc.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:07 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
I know many alcoholics unfortunately and one of the tell tale signs of one is they will come up with a justification for drinking, anytime, anywhere for any reason against all sense.

Most pregnant mothers avoid anything that 'MAY' lead to birth defects because its not worth the risk. Not because its a guarantee. An alcoholic or any other addict WILL take that risk, at work, when driving, while pregnant.... every time. Because the idea of abstinence is a lot scarier than some remote chance of a birth defect.

Oh and by the way, not all alcoholics are falling down drunk of the side of the road begging for cash. Some are well dressed, perfectly coiffed upper middle class women with a wine habit that survives pregnancy... and breastfeeding.... and child rearing.... etc.
So, you're saying there are exactly two groups of women in this world:

1. Women Who Avoid Absolutely All Alcohol for the Complete Duration of Pregnancy, and

2. Alcoholics.

Is that right?

I'm trying to figure out where my rebellious communion-wine-sipping self fits into this paradigm.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
So, you're saying there are exactly two groups of women in this world:

1. Women Who Avoid Absolutely All Alcohol for the Complete Duration of Pregnancy, and

2. Alcoholics

Is that right?

I'm trying to figure out where my rebellious communion-wine-sipping self fits into this paradigm.
You can infer whatever you want from what i said. Your misinterpretation doesn't make it less true.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:13 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
You can infer whatever you want from what i said. Your misinterpretation doesn't make it less true.
Which part did I misinterpret? Most women avoid anything that MAY cause birth defects during pregnancy. Then there are the alcoholics.

Did I read your post incorrectly?

Old 07-26-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Which part did I misinterpret? Most women avoid anything that MAY cause birth defects during pregnancy. Then there are the alcoholics.

Did I read your post incorrectly?
Clearly.

My post was about why pregnant women avoid alcohol and why alcoholics cant. The two are not mutually exclusive but aren't necessarily related. What i detailed was a tell tale sign of an alcoholic/ addict, pregnant or not.

I dont see where a 'communion sipping' person would identify with anything i said. Unless one is sipping more than communion, more than occasionally.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:41 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,807,735 times
Another stupid question. If u want to risk a kid with issues the rest of ur life then drink. Woman should know its a bad idea.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:02 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
SERIOUSLY? Tough tooties! The day the man is the one who spends 9 months growing his own replacement in his belly is the day he has any say in it.
Do you reproduce asexually?

Quote:
Go blow. I am not a walking womb. I am more than the sum of my lady-bits. So is every other woman on the planet, and no other person, male or female, sperm donor or not, has any right to determine what I do with my body before, during, and after pregnancy.
This is taking the "my body, my choice" argument to the extreme. Its fine if you don't want to be pregant, and choose not to have children. Once you do decide that you are going to go through with the pregnancy, then the health and safety of your unborn baby should be put above your wants and pleasures.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caves19 View Post
I wanted to see what your guys opinion on drinking while pregnant are. I personally think if she just has a glass of wine once a week or two it won't do any harm. What's your opinion?
I know I am getting on this thread a little late and probably whatever I post has already been posted, but as much as I am in the minority, I agree with you. The problem is what is too much and when do you way, no thank you. Of course the most important thing is protecting the unborn child and if not drinking anything is helpful, the mommy needs to follow her heart. I know when I was pregnant a drink was never considered bad, but that was 50 plus years ago. My daughter only had one drink during her entire 2 pregnancies. It was a glass of champagne on New Years eve and neither of her daughters drank a thing. Of course one of them doesn't drink anyway. I would be more concerned about a mom smoking than an occasional glass of wine.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:36 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
I was never told to avoid feta cheese!! I love feta, its one of the few things I can eat without throwing up

I'll tell you one of the things that people are often told is not allowed in pregnancy but is actually ok, and that's going to sauna. Everyone goes to sauna here, pregnant or not, and the rates of birth defects that were associated with some badly done studies on sauna during pregnancy (like failing to note that some of the women suffered fevers during the pregnancy - something much more likely to have an impact as it actually increases core body temperature to a significant extent unlike sauna) are very low here so we're told to carry on as normal. Still supposed to avoid hot tubs though, they affect body temperature differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting