Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 06:02 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times

Advertisements

Are you serious? A law against sleeping in a bed with your 7 year old child?

I would think maybe by 7 it is inconvenient for the parents. Our sleeping arrangements are a mess right now as both kids (1 And 3) want to sleep with us also. The owner of my hair salon recently just stopped co sleeping with her 14 yr old daughter...it can go on and on if you let it apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 06:28 PM

129 posts, read 110,207 times
Even if it were to become an issue in a custody dispute, all that needs to be proven (generally) is that the boy has a place of his own to sleep in should he want to. Does he have a bed of his own with mattress and clean sheets, preferably in a separate bedroom? Great. Where he chooses to spend the night (with the permission of his parent) is no one's business. But should CPS be called to the house for any reason, they will check to see if he has a bed or other proper sleeping place.

But really, I don't think anyone would ask.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:44 PM

11 posts, read 7,325 times
Given the divorce situation, your grandson's snuggling behavior is totally reasonable. I've had people tell me that after their dad left, they also snuggled up with their mom--even age 11--because the loss was so hard. He's lost his role model and stability. His home is now two split in two. He probably feels that he lost his dad to others, and he's afraid of losing his mother too. He's hurting, maybe even afraid. He needs to know that she's still there for him.

My recommendation would be for her to have a bed in her room that's separate from her own, so that he can join her in her room, but has to be "in his own bed." I know someone who has this setup for her daughter simply because she doesn't have enough bedrooms for her daughter to have her own and doesn't want to put her daughter in with her sons (lives in a high cost of living area with below market rent--can't move to a larger house without moving 30 miles away). It's more common than you might think.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:50 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Child is asleep. Parent is asleep. Bliss.

Location doesn't matter.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:21 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Child is asleep. Parent is asleep. Bliss.

Location doesn't matter.
This was always the rule of thumb in my house.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:35 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times
I used to sleep with my mum whenever my dad was away up until I was 14 - I think she was more reluctant to stop than I was but I was the baby of the family so I guess she was holding on to that.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:41 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,882 times
First off absent extenuating circumstances, the child should be spending roughly half his time with his father, not just a weekend here and there. Secondly, 7 is not too old to sleep with a parent. My son wanted to sleep with me every night at that age but instead I allowed him one night a week to do "daddy sleepover night". Made it a little more special for him. As long as he has his own bed to sleep in when he wants to I don't see a problem although maybe he should sleep with his mom sporadically instead of every night. Certainly not a legal issue.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:24 AM

810 posts, read 667,180 times
excellent first post! this guy is probably reading the comments while eating buttered popcorn

Old 07-26-2017, 02:54 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,424,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Does Mom and/or grandson sleep in the nude? Does Mom and grandson take showers or baths together (again in the nude)?
Neither of those are necessarily sexual abuse flags. Parents can - and do - do such things with their children all the time. I myself do and my son is 3 and my daughter 7. And I will likely continue to do both of these things until such time as either one of them request otherwise.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:23 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,652,015 times
Against the law? Is someone projecting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting