Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 08:39 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,105,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It's an extra layer of protection at the place where the child spends most of their time. It is fundamentally different than the mall or movie theater. Removing peanuts from the classroom does not in any way indicate that parents don't think they need to teach them to be careful and responsible for themselves. There is no "there" there.
and here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 08:41 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,311,603 times
There's no way school aged kids go nowhere besides school. You are being silly now. Bottom line is banning peanuts from school does create a false sense of security

But hell some schools have banned the pledge of allegiance so why wouldn't they ban peanuts

Old 07-25-2017, 08:49 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,105,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
There's no way school aged kids go nowhere besides school. You are being silly now. Bottom line is banning peanuts from school does create a false sense of security

But hell some schools have banned the pledge of allegiance so why wouldn't they ban peanuts
I didn't say that! No one said that.

My mistake, answering your question with a question. That required you to think. My bad.

Let me spell it out. Kids spend 7 hours/day, 5 days/week at school, away from their parents. They eat at least one meal/day there, 5 days/week, if not 2 (some kids eat breakfast at school).

The mall, the movie theater, birthday parties, restaurants are all places that older kids might go without a parent, but younger kids would not. By the time they are old enough to go these places alone, they have been taught to be careful. They might go once/week, or once/month. Certainly not every day.

It is an extra layer of protection in a place where they spend most of their time, away from their parents. It isn't meant to be perfect, or protect them 100%. It is meant to minimize the risk.

And one thing no one has mentioned. Schools don't want the liability of having a kid die in their building.

And no, no one has banned the pledge of allegiance. It is still recited every day, all over the country, despite what FOX might have told you.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:33 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,684,540 times
Quote:

Who said kids go nowhere besides school? Was it the same person who told you the pledge of allegiance was banned in schools? Was it Obama who banned it? Obama Signs Executive Order Banning the Pledge of Allegiance in Schools Nationwide

Btw please post a link to say 2 of these numerous schools that have banned the pledge of allegiance.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:38 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,706,859 times
People do avoid places that are likely full of the specific allergen that they need to avoid. We don't take our kid to restaurants that serve mostly shellfish. My husband went as a chaperone to the 5th grade trip to Sea World because the kids feed shrimp to the animals in the petting area. Cover your eyes, because this will probably make you want to scream and stomp your feet at the injustice, but after the kids (not my daughter, the other kids) did the shrimp thing, do you know what dastardly and horrifically inconvenient thing they had to do?

They had to wash their hands with soap.

All 20 of those 10-year-olds had to scrub up rather than use the sanitizer gel to keep just ONE kid safe from an allergen. Their mothers revolted, it was in the paper, and Sea World had to be shut down due to the injustice of it all. We can't show our faces in Orlando anymore.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:44 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,285,785 times
Kids are at a higher risk of being exposed at school than other public places because other kids are careless and dirty eaters, by nature of being little kids. They eat peanut butter, then it gets on their hands and all over the place and they also put all sorts of things in their mouth, that other kids who are allergic possibly will touch. Especially in the early years of elementary school.

I still don't see what the big deal is, just don't send your kid to school with peanut butter if there's a kid who is allergic in his class, or if it's a nut free classroom or nut free school. Your little Johnny can eat an entire jar of peanut butter when he gets home to make up for lost peanut eating time if he needs to.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:15 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,842,172 times
Quote:
It just seems crazy that a cure hasnt been discovered for this yet. It seems odd that in 2017 kids can still die from peanuts.
What is also interesting is that the new research says that

1. we should not avoid peanuts when pregnant or for infants
2. we can do controlled exposure to help with the allergic reaction

https://www.sciencealert.com/feeding...-later-in-life

Quote:
New guidelines issued by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in the US advise introducing peanuts into children's diets as early as possible, to protect them against peanut allergies later in life.

This goes against advice parents were given years ago, to avoid giving peanuts to young children. And it backs up a growing body of research that suggests early, frequent exposure is the best approach.

Since early 2015, The American Academy of Paediatrics (AAP) has endorsed the view that high-risk infants as young as four months have peanuts introduced to their diets. Previously, it had recommended avoiding introducing peanuts until at least three years of age.
Peanut allergy Treatments and drugs - Mayo Clinic

Quote:
New research suggests that desensitizing at-risk children to peanuts between ages 4 and 11 months may be effective at preventing peanut allergy. Check with your doctor because there are significant risks of anaphylaxis if early introduction of peanuts is performed incorrectly.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:58 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,684,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
What is also interesting is that the new research says that

1. we should not avoid peanuts when pregnant or for infants
2. we can do controlled exposure to help with the allergic reaction

https://www.sciencealert.com/feeding...-later-in-life

Peanut allergy Treatments and drugs - Mayo Clinic
I was thinking about posting some other but related articles but was worried some parents may take it upon themselves to "help" kids by ignoring nut bans in the name of "controlled exposure". I hope people realize the correct way to do this is not exposing kids to peanuts yourself by sneaking things into food brought in for the class, or giving your kids foods in violation of bans.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:07 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,311,603 times
I have heard of avoiding shellfish while pregnant but not peanuts. They used to recommend kids not have peanuts/peanut butter until 2 or maybe even 3 but now they recommend giving it to them as early as 6 months as it can help not develop the allergy in some cases. Both my kids had a small amount of peanut butter by 9 months. I tried to be careful since it can be a choking hazard...They are fine thankfully.

Most of the allergies I hear about kids having today are around milk and dairy products which is also unfortunately. Thankfully it seems like there are a lot of lactose free products out there.

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 07-26-2017 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: Added

Old 07-26-2017, 06:52 AM

4,039 posts, read 4,934,360 times
Quote:
the other question is why is there such an increase in food allergies? Toxins in the environment?

The Pros and Cons to Banning Allergens from Schools
When my kids were little the rule was not to give them peanut butter until they were a year old. That is changing and they have done studies with babies from 4 months old with a high risk of having a peanut allergy.

How And When To Safely Give Babies Peanut Butter? Allergists Explain. : Shots - Health News : NPR

The study they did on it: MMS: Error

Peanut Mush In Infancy Cuts Allergy Risk. New Study Adds To Evidence : The Salt : NPR

"There is now scientific evidence that health care providers should recommend introducing peanut-containing products into the diets of "high-risk" infants early on in life (between 4 and 11 months of age)," the consensus guidance states.

But that doesn't mean all parents should just rush in with the peanut mush. The guidance recommends that "infants with eczema or egg allergy in the first 4 to 6 months of life might benefit from evaluation by an allergist" — before they're introduced to peanut-based foods.

My BIL was allergic to a few things as a baby. He did not want my nephew having peanut butter until after age 1. He was adamant about it. My mom babysat my nephew one day and gave him toast with peanut butter on it. Nephew was fine. No reaction. What would she have done if there was a reaction? I shudder at the thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting